Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prius catalytic converters being stolen

• 31-01-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

There was a lad on Joe Duffy earlier saying the CC was stolen from his Prius. It was cut out while his car was parked in an industrial estate. Reminded me of the video below.

He also said that there have been a number of other Priuses suffer the same fate, including in shopping centre car parks in broad daylight, and that it's a particular problem in the southwest of Dublin.

Is there something special about the CC in the Prius?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

He wasnt even in a rush to get out of there. :)

It didnt sound like he got it cut cleanly either. I bet he cut through some of the undercarriage of the car.... That'll be an expensive repair!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is there something special about the CC in the Prius?

It seems to be with the Gen 2 only - apparently they are easy to access, and are either quite well built or have good scrap value due to platinum content. I think it's been happening in the UK and California for some time.

I think it might be more difficult with the newer models as the exhaust heat recovery system (Gen 2 doesn't have this) is downstream from the cat, so may be in the way (haven't had a good look myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭serox_21

To animate this thread,
    My catalytic converter have been stollen last evening from my 2nd gen Prius in Charlestown Shopping Center underground parking.

Does anyone have an idea on how much the replacement can cost.
    Don't know the full damage yet, all I can see is a empty space and few wires hanging (from O2 sensor)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

serox_21 wrote: »
    To animate this thread,
    My catalytic converter have been stollen last evening from my 2nd gen Prius in Charlestown Shopping Center underground parking.

Does anyone have an idea on how much the replacement can cost.
    Don't know the full damage yet, all I can see is a empty space and few wires hanging (from O2 sensor)

It cost me about 620 and they were able to do it fairly quickly. It was in Harold’s cross.

Can you share service name where you replaced it?
    I was expecting to be above 1000€

• Advertisement

serox_21 wrote: »
    Can you share service name where you replaced it?
    I was expecting to be above 1000€

https://www.autoexhausts.ie/ - nearer Crumlin actually.

Toyota are looking for 1800. But they didn’t actually have any stock so that option was particularly unattractive.

What looks like a suitable unit is available on Micksgarage.ie if you have a friendly local garage. The problem is that if there is damage due to the cutting then the local garage might not be able to fit it easily. Auto exhausts seem like the sort of lads who would not be afraid to bring out the welding gear if needed.

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

Called the guys from auto exhaust and got a quote of 550.
    Thanks @antoinolachtnai

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭steves2

Got my cc stolen off my gen 2, going to replace it but does this happen on newer Prius models? Haven't seen a definitive answer anywhere

Yes it is happening on newer models, but to a lesser extent. I believe access is easier on the gen 2, but not impossible on the 3/4. Toyota GB have made "Catloc" security devices available for Gen 3/4 as well as 2, but I asked Toyota Ireland about this and they don't seem interested in selling such products.

Yes it is happening on newer models, but to a lesser extent. I believe access is easier on the gen 2, but not impossible on the 3/4. Toyota GB have made "Catloc" security devices available for Gen 3/4 as well as 2, but I asked Toyota Ireland about this and they don't seem interested in selling such products.

Toyota and their attitude to this are awful. I think my local Toyota service station are quite content with this happening, guaranteed work for their mechanics. I thought that the newer models wouldn't be targeted but if Toyota haven't rectified the issue on newer models then people shouldn't give them the business

• Advertisement

If they are being taken off with sockets/spanners then the likes of epoxy putty (it'll make actual replacement in case of failure a bit harder too of course) can deter them but if they are cutting it off then not much can be done easily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Augeo wrote: »
    If they are being taken off with sockets/spanners then the likes of epoxy putty (it'll make actual replacement in case of failure a bit harder too of course) can deter them but if they are cutting it off then not much can be done easily.

Some are being cut off - and in broad daylight as well. My sister Shogun was done a few years ago outside a busy hotel in the middle of the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

steves2 wrote: »
    Got my cc stolen off my gen 2, going to replace it but does this happen on newer Prius models? Haven't seen a definitive answer anywhere

2nd generation seems to be particularly popular, as is the Honda Jazz. Dunno why. Watched a video earlier where the thieves knocked out a security light on a neighbouring house, threatened people walking past and when they were done, gave the finger to the CCTV camera. That was a Jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭atilladehun

My Prius was hit last night. When I look on Mick's garage there's one for 220, one for 380 and one for 1000.

Anyone know the difference in those?

My Prius was hit last night. When I look on Mick's garage there's one for 220, one for 380 and one for 1000.

Anyone know the difference in those?

Is yours a 2nd gen? Did they cause damage getting it out? That sucks, mine was taken last week, caught them in the act too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Some are being cut off -......

I know :)
    .......... if they are cutting it off then not much can be done easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Avoid parking in the Red Cow Luas.

They had half cut off mine. I was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Why the prius?

I know a guy who had his robbed about 2 weeks ago, from outside his house in Tallaght - he said 3 were taken from the immediate area on the same night, all prius's.

I'm not sure where he got the replacement but he said it cost him €1200

Why the prius?........

£300+ in scrap/black market worth of platinum, palladium and rhodium stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

£300+ in scrap/black market worth of platinum, palladium and rhodium stuff.

Does that differ from other makes though?

Why the prius?

Ease of access and known quality/quantity of the rare metals in them. Some Hondas are common targets too.

Does that differ from other makes though?

Hybrids have more of that stuff than non hybrids in the cat' converter. Prius is quite common relative to other hybrids to it's the most talked about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Part of the problem is these guys advertising on DoneDeal etc looking to buy catalytic converters, no questions asked.

If you have a demand, the gougers will supply them.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Part of the problem is these guys advertising on DoneDeal etc looking to buy catalytic converters, no questions asked.

If you have a demand, the gougers will supply them.

Well I think it's a certain group of people responsible for most of it if you know what I mean boss

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bliger

mine was stolen few days ago its 2nd gen prius it was unscrew from the front and cut off at the back . Thinking to get some sort cover/shield to prevent in the future, but not many ideas yet.

bliger wrote: »
    mine was stolen few days ago its 2nd gen prius it was unscrew from the front and cut off at the back . Thinking to get some sort cover/shield to prevent in the future, but not many ideas yet.

I am told (by the man who fitted replacement) that there is no market for aftermarket catalytic converters and they are unlikely to be stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭atilladehun

steves2 wrote: »
    Is yours a 2nd gen? Did they cause damage getting it out? That sucks, mine was taken last week, caught them in the act too.

Yeah, 2nd gen.

I haven't had a chance to bring it to the mechanic yet. Think it's a clean cut.

Have a price to supply, fit and do the sensor for 550.

Can buy them in the motor factors for 280 but still need a couple of hundred for labour. Needs a lift, weeks and time.

Anyone ever got insurance to cover it?

Yeah, 2nd gen.

Can buy them in the motor factors for 280 but still need a couple of hundred for labour. Needs a lift, weeks and time.

At 550 it just doesn’t seem to be worth claiming on insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Yeah, 2nd gen.

Wouldn't do that. See link I posted on previous page where insurers are refusing insurance to prius owners in UK. Once refused you must always declare.

Advertisement