Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT procedure

• 05-02-2020 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

It's been many a year since I personally imported a car, and paid the VRT due. What are the procedures now importing a classic?

I mean, I know what paperwork I need, mainly V5 and €200. I'm assuming that since there is a flat rate there is no "grilling" as nothing is in dispute.

Also, if I buy from the North, there won't be any sailing details, and if driving down the center of the country, there will be not tolls, to prove that the car only just came into the country. But, again, since I would have bought a car that is 30 years old, would that make any difference anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's been many a year since I personally imported a car, and paid the VRT due. What are the procedures now importing a classic?

I mean, I know what paperwork I need, mainly V5 and €200. I'm assuming that since there is a flat rate there is no "grilling" as nothing is in dispute.

Also, if I buy from the North, there won't be any sailing details, and if driving down the center of the country, there will be not tolls, to prove that the car only just came into the country. But, again, since I would have bought a car that is 30 years old, would that make any difference anyway?

Not really, get a receipt dated and keep the full v5 of course.

If it isn't drivable use a trailer or van etc and keep proof or even the change of insurance date.

Nox won't apply either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Would I even need a receipt? Like, since the charge is a set amount, surely it doesn't make any difference what I paid. Or would I need one just for the date I purchased, but surely that'd be on the V5?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You'll need a receipt.
    4. Vehicle invoice which must have the date of purchase/sale clearly indicated.

Hand-written one is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

They probably won't take your 200 on the spot, they will still have to refer it on to Rosslare for a statistical code. When they contact you to say the VRT is 200 (Which you knew anyway !) you can go to any VRT enabled NCT centre and pay there, not necessarily the one you did the inspection in. Check the details at every step, I ended up being given a stat code for a 1 door Kadett coupe and had to go again !!
    You will also need proof of address, ID and PPS number.

welder wrote: »
    They probably won't take your 200 on the spot, they will still have to refer it on to Rosslare for a statistical code. When they contact you to say the VRT is 200 (Which you knew anyway !) you can go to any VRT enabled NCT centre and pay there, not necessarily the one you did the inspection in.

Ok. So I'll need to visit a VRT center twice? Once for inspection, and then again to pay?
    Check the details at every step, I ended up being given a stat code for a 1 door Kadett coupe and had to go again !!

A 1 door? A pretty unique car you had there :)

• Advertisement

Ok. So I'll need to visit a VRT center twice? Once for inspection, and then again to pay?

A 1 door? A pretty unique car you had there :)

Yes I had to visit 3 times, Arklow had the soonest inspection date available, then Greenhills to pay-spotted the mistake there and back in a few days to pay on the corrected stat code. You really have to wonder how a mistake like that can be made by people who are doing this every day, who's seen a 1 door car ?

Remember to know where the VIN number is STAMPED on the car and that it is readable. Mine had an aftermarket seat bolted over where it was, luckily I had checked it before I brought it down so I had tools with me to pull out the seat and had also peeled off the sound deadening someone had stuck over the number ! They want a stamped number on the body/chassis not just on the chassis plate.

Well, since they ( a 1 door Kadett ) never existed, I don't know how they could have come up with a code for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭acmatman

make sure that the speedo reads over 6000km or miles equivalent or the nice Revenue will want VAT on the purchase price of the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

acmatman wrote: »
    make sure that the speedo reads over 6000km or miles equivalent or the nice Revenue will want VAT on the purchase price of the car ?

classic car section...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I was back and forth about 5 times, coz they couldnt read the engine number.
    I ended up just showing her a photo of it, but it could have been anything in fairness for all she cared.

Clown then recorded it as a 04 ( which was the year it was imported from Japan )
    Took a few weeks to get that sorted - revenue were decent enough about it and acted quickly, NCTs rang me 3 weeks later to tell me it was sorted ( by which time I had been driving it for 2 weeks ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭w124man

If it isn't drivable use a trailer

The car must be driveable when you present for VRT inspection

i think more complete than driveable. They don't drive it but would reject it if it obviously had bits missing.

welder wrote: »
    who's seen a 1 door car ?

Heinkel_Kabine%2C_Bj._1957_%282016-07-02_Sp%29.JPG

:D:D:D

Isambard wrote: »
    i think more complete than driveable. They don't drive it but would reject it if it obviously had bits missing.

Grey area I think. I cant find the section on NCTS I think I read it on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Has to be a mechanically propelled vehicle. E.g. complete. It's in the VRT manual somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

The vehicle needs to be able to move under it’s own power, I was there two weeks ago and a guy had a car in a trailer. They firstly wanted the car removed from the trailer but were satisfied when the car was moved under its own power on the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

• Form VRTVPD2 completed
    • UK Reg Document (V5) - COMPLETE
    • Invoice for the car
    • Invoice for the shipping/transport into RoI
    • Confirmation of date of importation (Ferry ticket etc)
    • Proof of ID and Address
    • Proof of PRSI number
    • oh, and, the cash/card to pay the VRT

And they won't VRT a car where the chassis number is NOT stamped into the chassis - so check where it is and that it's legible. Clean it, have torch handy.

Do all the above and you'll be done & dusted in 20 minutes - I was, last Thursday.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    • Form VRTVPD2 completed
    • UK Reg Document (V5) - COMPLETE
    • Invoice for the car
    • Invoice for the shipping/transport into RoI
    • Confirmation of date of importation (Ferry ticket etc)
    • Proof of ID and Address
    • Proof of PRSI number
    • oh, and, the cash/card to pay the VRT

And they won't VRT a car where the chassis number is NOT stamped into the chassis - so check where it is and that it's legible. Clean it, have torch handy.

Do all the above and you'll be done & dusted in 20 minutes - I was, last Thursday.

Welder had to visit more than once. Was that the case for you?

I'll be bringing it in from the North, so won't have any way to show when it came in, apart from the sale date on the V5.

Welder had to visit more than once. Was that the case for you?

I'll be bringing it in from the North, so won't have any way to show when it came in, apart from the sale date on the V5.

sale date on the V5? Are you [planning having it sent off to the DVLA? If so you would need to use a NI address or they won't despatch it to you. you don't need to send it off, the correct procedure is for the seller to hand it to you.

• Advertisement

sale date on the V5? Are you [planning having it sent off to the DVLA? If so you would need to use a NI address or they won't despatch it to you. you don't need to send it off, the correct procedure is for the seller to hand it to you.

Won't the seller need to fill out section 5 (permanently exporting this vehicle for more that 12 months) section, and give me the entire V5, as you say? And on that section the date of sale will be shown. I have no problem getting a hand written reciept.

no need to fill that out. That's for use by the registered owner if he's exporting it himself.

w124man wrote: »
    The car must be driveable when you present for VRT inspection

As in if no insurance, test or tax....

no need to fill that out. That's for use by the registered owner if he's exporting it himself.
    Ok. So get the entire V5 from him, but fill out nothing, have a hand written invoice with the sale date on it, as I'm buying private. But as I'm driving it down across the border, there's no proof for when it entered the ROI. That be OK?

Ok. So get the entire V5 from him, but fill out nothing, have a hand written invoice with the sale date on it, as I'm buying private. But as I'm driving it down across the border, there's no proof for when it entered the ROI. That be OK?

Get a receipt and both sign it with date.

Write it out or type it out before hand

That's grand so. Thanks

I'd buy some petrol north of the border and get the reg number on the receipt. Can't do any harm

I'd buy some petrol north of the border and get the reg number on the receipt. Can't do any harm

Was thinking along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Is the car Northern Registered ?

My understanding is someone could have the V5 for a UK reg'd car in the North but not have the V5 in his name.

• Advertisement

It's UK registered. The V5 is in his name I believe.

Advertisement