Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N3 to m50

• 04-02-2020 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Recently started working in Blanchardstown and was wondering what the story was with the ridiculously low speed limits on the N3 at the M50 southbound interchange where it goes to 50km then down to 30km, I tried sticking to the limit today and ended up nearly getting tailgated,does there ever be go safe vans or garda with a gun in this area of the N3 as people seem to deliberately break the limit and wanted to know for future reference

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's so high sided vehicles have a lower chance of toppling over.

I always keep to the speed limit on'em.

Gosafe Van's would need a layby to setup in.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

Gosafe Van's would need a layby to setup in.[/quote]

What do you mean by a layby? I thought they can set up on hard shoulders etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don199 wrote: »
    Gosafe Van's would need a layby to setup in.

What do you mean by a layby? I thought they can set up on hard shoulders etc

Layby as a spot off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There is a layby when joining the N3 outbound from the M50, and Gardai have been there previously doing speed checks.

Hurrache wrote: »
    There is a layby when joining the N3 outbound from the M50, and Gardai have been there previously doing speed checks.

Which zone? 80km, 50 km or 30?

• Advertisement

Layby as a spot off the road
    Are they allowed set up on hard shoulders? Or could they use a service vehicle only lay-by you see on motorways? Seems dangerous if you ask me

They regularly set up on the left here. It’s inside the 50km/h.

yjfTYZ8.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The idea behind this is that if you crash at over 30kmh and try and blame road design, you can't.

Just drive at a safe speed.

Who set up? Garda with a gun or go safe?

• Advertisement

i assume this is the section being mentioned; no room for any van.

No I’m talking about the spot in the pic above your post

Who set up? Garda with a gun or go safe?

GoSafe.

GoSafe.

Really? Been going home that way the last 2 months haven’t seen one yet.. do they park in the hard shoulder or the service vehicle spot a small bit up ahead? Thanks for the info

Really? Been going home that way the last 2 months haven’t seen one yet.. do they park in the hard shoulder or the service vehicle spot a small bit up ahead? Thanks for the info

That gap in the left is where I’ve seen them. Haven’t passed it as much lately but used to be on it for work a lot and you’d see them there (and up near the maxol station further out) a lot around mid morning - early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

yjfTYZ8.jpg

Ive never seen anything in there and I'd say noone woupd be willing to chance parking a speedo van there its too small, those 30k/m limits are regularly ignored as well theyre insanely low and just not possible to drive that slow on that section, should be no lower than 60k/m imo. Always considered it a very badly designed area.

Ive seen them camping the petrol station further up and under the bridge near the blanchardstown center in the past tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have seen the van 1-2 times over the years, it caused pure mayhem as people slammed on brakes and nearly crashed as everyone else kept at speed....

My hope is they figured that out and took it away....

Infini wrote: »
    Ive never seen anything in there and I'd say noone woupd be willing to chance parking a speedo van there its too small, those 30k/m limits are regularly ignored as well theyre insanely low and just not possible to drive that slow on that section, should be no lower than 60k/m imo. Always considered it a very badly designed area.

Ive seen them camping the petrol station further up and under the bridge near the blanchardstown center in the past tho.

They would be willing because they have done it. It’s in the 50, not the 30.

While we’re on the topic what areas on the n81 in tallaght usually have go safe speed checks? Just curious as it’s new to my commute, are they allowed in bus lanes etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

While we’re on the topic what areas on the n81 in tallaght usually have go safe speed checks? Just curious as it’s new to my commute, are they allowed in bus lanes etc?

there does be one in the hard shoulder of the N81 as you go down towards the village with the square on your left

Here

another popular spot is just past jobstown near the petrol station Here

Infini wrote: »

I’ve seen this road is on the new garda safety camera zones, I wonder with the new equipment AGS now have could they set up speed checks say for example on one of the overpasses or bridges there, fish in a barrel in the 30km or 50 km zone

• Advertisement
Advertisement