Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving Range Yips

• 03-02-2020 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this phenomenon is unique to myself or other golfers here. I am all good intentions to get out and practice on the range over the winter. However when i actually go and tee it up on the range its nothing but shank city.
    This doesnt happen me out on the course then :confused: i would have expected that what happens on the range would be somewhat replicated on the course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slingerz wrote: »
    Just wondering if this phenomenon is unique to myself or other golfers here. I am all good intentions to get out and practice on the range over the winter. However when i actually go and tee it up on the range its nothing but shank city.
    This doesnt happen me out on the course then :confused: i would have expected that what happens on the range would be somewhat replicated on the course

Have had a few times where I've been hit by a dose of the shanks at the range, yeah. Think it can happen when you're just standing over too many balls, you end up nudging a bit too close to the ball at address. and then the bounce off the mat can exaggerate things.

Change club, step away and try go through a pre-shot routine & that usually resets things for me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Went last thursday, and couldn't hit a single straight shot. Went tonight, and absolutely smashed it. Happens from time to time.

Remember to have some fun. Play short chip shots, actually aim for something rather then just hitting it, and try new things. Just smashing it over and over again won't do that much to help. Also, record yourself. I've found that really useful, and figured out one or two things i've been doing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Hi Slingerz

the very same thing has been happening to me since about June. About 25% of my irons on the range since have been shanks. And not one on the course yet. And the funny thing is that im probably playing my best ever golf at the moment. At the moment I would go to the range, hit it awesome, then suddenly a few shanks, then manage to recover although never hitting quite the shots that I was at the start of my sessions.

I still haven’t worked out why, but I seem to make progress by SLOWING DOWN my tempo and also focusing on a FULL SHOULDER TURN on the backswing. It seems to correct it although for the next few minutes I seem to be subconsciously aiming a bit left (I presume because of the shanks that I just hit)

Hope that gives you some good for thought

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think on a mat you subconsciously creep closer to the ball from a fear of falling off the back.
    However the opposite can also be true, you take your stance on the matt and then the ball comes up from further away, so you are reaching. Overreaching will cause you to lunge forward which will also result in a shank.

Stick an alignment club on the ground to maintain your distance from the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

all good ideas here to remedy. i've left balls after me cos of this. frustrating as hell when you just want to get out and hit some balls

• Advertisement
Advertisement