Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A beautiful day in the neighborhood

• 02-02-2020 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭

This looks it could be great. Tom Hanks in the role of the legendary Mr Rogers, the impossibly saintly figure of children's TV in the US.

And by all accounts someone who was the real deal, a guy who took kids seriously and actually gave a ****.

The film seems to be about a genuinely great man in a world of cynicism and bull**** and I expect Hanks to do a great job.

Anyone else seeing this.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

https://youtu.be/P45GnNJgMco

I was going to point out the coincidence of Tom Hanks playing the role, given the programme made a brief appearance in The Burbs. But someone's already made a you tube video about it :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I saw this today in The Lighthouse. I became aware of Fred Rodgers only last year due to that documentary that was made about him.

If I didn't know that backstory, while watching the film I would probably have expected some third act reveal that he is actually a total psycho hiding very dark secrets because his seemingly unlimited warmth, kindness and empathy seems too good to be true. But as the OP said, he was the real deal and Tom Hanks really does exude those qualities brilliantly through his performance.

It is interesting to note that Rogers is a supporting character in this story. It isn't his biopic. The movie is told from the perspective of a magazine writer sent to write about him. The movie sometimes feels like a soap opera type family drama that is grafted onto a story about Rogers.

So I liked all the parts about Rogers, the family drama stuff less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It says a lot about Rodgers' reputation that I don't know whether this xkcd is based on a real event.

temper.png

Okay, I checked, it's not. It's sending up Mel Gibson's explanation of a recorded phone call as "I have a temper". I think it encapsulates how Americans view the man though, and it's awfully sweet. I am looking forward to seeing the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Tom Hanks wakes up from a nightmare to Rogers singing 'A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood' in The 'Burbs.

A useless little fact!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm curious to see how this will play outside the US. I'd never heard of this show or person until I saw a trailer for the film.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'm curious to see how this will play outside the US. I'd never heard of this show or person until I saw a trailer for the film.

I thought the same - it's like when they release films about baseball here. I guess Hanks is a guarantee of a certain level of interest.

The recent Jim Carrey series "Kidding" was loosely based on Mr Rogers, but a very dark take on the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this yesterday. I was familiar with Mr. Rogers as I've always followed American culture, so when I heard a film was being made about him I knew the context. For me personally this was very powerful, I found myself getting emotional at times, which doesnt normally happen for me with films. It was very moving at times and Mr. Rogers was most definitely the real deal. There are no skeletons in his closest so theres no surprise twists. Just the story of a genuinely good man and how he touched generations of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I had never heard of Mr Rogers before this film but I have to say I loved it. His warmth and gentle nature excuded from the screen and an hr in I checked my watch and thought "oh no, it's going to be over soon". I'm not sure that's happened before.

I thought Tom Hanks did an excellent job, he really captured a sense of a character quite different to his own and us finding ourselves intrigued and beguiled by Mr Rogers was essential to the film working. I thought the story was told quite originally too. It could've seemed like a very flat,one toned affair as Mr Rogers played true to form all the way but I was surprised to find some of the slighty trippy puppet moments actually worked and lent it some unexpected creative feel. It might have seemed a bit fairytale and unlikely too but it was clear it wasn't a biopic, instead one mans impression of the time he spent with Mr Rogers so it was easier accept. It was a strangely effecting film and would agree with the previous poster that it was quite powerful in ways I couldn't compare to anything else I've seen. I found it very soothing and calming but thought provoking too, it would cause you to reflect on your own life.
    Overall I thought it was really lovely. Definitely one to watch if you want some life affirming niceness.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

I prefer Mr Robinsons Neighborhood......

Advertisement