Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firearms insurance

• 28-01-2020 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Searched for the relevant threads but they are over a year old.
    I have one firearm specified on my policy which is up for renewal. The firearm is covered in the house but not outside. Is this normal. I have other firearms but they are not specified as their values are under €1000. I have since added to my collection and it is over €1000.

Who are the best company to go with who don't faint when you mention guns.Could I say sporting equipment. I am a bit reluctant to give firearm details along with my address. Any advise welcomed.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Are you referring to home insurance?

I found my policy was wholly undervalued for my firearms, accessories, as well as the "normal" house contents. I rang the insurance company, told them of the valuation of the firearms and other contents. They simply asked for a new valuation, and amended my policy cost appropriately. They didn't bat an eyelid at the mention of firearm and never asked for details.

As for insured outside. It's home insurance so its only protected while they are in the home. Outside i have my regular shooting insurance.

As for the best company. No idea. I've changed few times over the years and none seem to care about what the contents are, just that i pay my premiums.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bmmb88

Sorry Cass meant to say home insurance. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

FBD and AA - never had an issue with either of them. All they ask for is a valuation from a dealer.

Others can be a bit stupid - remember being asked by Post insurance whether I had a licence or not and the questions got worse from there on.

You can get them covered on your all risks. I had this done before with FBD.

They are looking for copy of licences now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Who are looking for licences, the insurance companies?

Please tell me that they don't think that someone with an illegally held firearm would want it covered on their home insurance policy, so they could be compensated, if the illegally held firearm was ever discovered and confiscated by the Gardai?

I would be very slow to give copies of my licences to home insurance providers, for fear of who might have access to them, try to duplicate or forge them etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Give them nothing in relation to your private info. Its not a paranoia issue just they gave no reason to ask for them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Cass wrote: »
    Give them nothing in relation to your private info. Its not a paranoia issue just they gave no reason to ask for them.

Have to agree here. I would not feel comfortable handing over my firearms licences to a call centre agent in an insurance company. Not a chance. They do not need them and have no reason to ask for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ldc

Hi,

I attended a meeting together with reps from other Cork Clubs with Countryside IFA officials last night in Mitchelstown Co Cork during which they presented and discussed Insurance packages they offered. Certainly i can say that presentation of a firearms licence as a prerequisite for insurance is not being asked by them as that subject did come up.Perhaps other providers are but if so i also would not be providing those details. I presently have 2 different Insurances with other companies and neither do those companies so far anyway request a copy of a licence, perhaps it was a mistake by the insurance Agent in question? However i personally would not as i said provide that data.
    While on the subject of Insurance i must say that i was impressed by Countryside IFA's presentation, their openness and ability to answer queries on the night. Their package has many attractive features for both clubs and individuals. Their power of a large company in lobbying on our behalf, the way they keep all members informed of changes in the law and items like the proposed lead ban etc means that you are all getting the same information and not someones individual perception with possibly a different perception given in the next county coupled of course with the financial security of a large fund and last but not least they do provide most farmers with Insurance and farmers appear to be very happy that they know the and trust the provider. Personally i believe that all Clubs and individuals should examine all potential Insurance providers to get the best package for their members each year, we all do let things slide and obviously what may suit my club might not suit the next one, Here Countryside IFA have the ability to tailor packages and add on's to suit each clubs requirements. There are only 4 or so providers that i know of and perhaps all clubs and individuals should ask all to quote each year. I am not associated with any insurance provider by the way.

I am also reluctant to hand over licence details.

bmmb88 wrote: »
    I am also reluctant to hand over licence details.

You don't need to be reluctant. It is simply, don't hand copies of firearms licences over, you don't have to. Any insurance company I have been with has never needed copies of my licences. The firearms are just covered under the contents of the house, while they are in the house.

Once they leave the house the house cover no long works and it switches over to my hunting/shooting insurance which is paid separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

Just off the phone to Zurich, yesterday they asked if I had a licence for the firearms, and wanted details?? Today they have just told me that they couldn't insure my house as I had specified firearms on the policy??? Think they may have said a quote was possible if I had a monitored alarm, but was too annoyed at that stage to listen properly.

Couldn't answer what would have happened if I hadn't declared them as an extra in the policy? Would a claim have been declined?

Don't mind telling Zurich to go jump, but seriously pissed that I'm being declined insurance for engaging in a lawful activity.

So cross Zurich off your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Aviva has been no bother for me. Added firearms and optics. They just added them to the policy. I think it cost an extra €30 to cover bikes and firearms.

No intrusive questions.

Aviva has been no bother for me. Added firearms and optics. They just added them to the policy. I think it cost an extra €30 to cover bikes and firearms.

No intrusive questions.

Aviva are also the company I am insured with. No questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Not bothered normally

are people sometimes asked for a valuation of specific high value items they wish to add as "named items" - probably

I have never been asked to provide evidence that I own the contents of my property...I don't see why a firearm would be treated differently

would I give them a copy of a licence - depends on whether they could provide a good reason or had it as a written policy. I certainly wouldn't if it was the brain fart of an individual agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

My experience is it only became an issue when I insured them as a specified extra, in addition to the contents. Fbd charged something extra, and wanted make, model etc of rifle, scope and binos. Fair enough for a specified item.
    Zurich as described earlier, couldn't deal with it.

Got the insurance from Aviva. Firearms are insured under unspecified items as the individual value is less than €1,500. Very happy

bmmb88 wrote: »
    Got the insurance from Aviva. Firearms are insured under unspecified items as the individual value is less than €1,500. Very happy

Good stuff.

Advertisement