Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jameson 12 Yr Old 1780

• 28-01-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

I opened a long cherished bottle of this fi e whiskey over Christmas only to have the Cork perish and crunble I to the liquid.

This is a discontinued product and Jameson have offered a bottle of Black Barrel in exchange.

I still have the bottle and the liquid.

Should I have the contents re bottled or is Black Barrel a suitable exchange?

Obviously Im no whiskey connoisseur and wourl really appreciate any advice here.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think Jameson 12 year old retailed for a higher price than Black Barrel e.g. €60 v €50
    * https://www.martinsofflicence.ie/jameson-12-year-old-special-reserve/
    * https://www.martinsofflicence.ie/jameson-black-barrel-irish-whiskey/

I've seen Black Barrel on offer in Tesco for €35 I think in run up to Christmas. Seems like a far inferior product to me.

I don't know how practicable it is to re-bottle, but if it's at all possible to salvage the 12yo do it :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Jameson Black Barrel retails at €50 and the 1780 can be bought in Celtic Whiskey Store for €75. I'd probably chance my arm and ask for something at the same value.

Are they expecting you to return the 1780 bottle? If not, you'd be able to decant it into a new bottle no bother and strain the bits of cork out. In that case, a bottle of Black Barrel for your troubles is not a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

irish_goat wrote: »
    Jameson Black Barrel retails at €50 and the 1780 can be bought in Celtic Whiskey Store for €75. I'd probably chance my arm and ask for something at the same value.

Are they expecting you to return the 1780 bottle? If not, you'd be able to decant it into a new bottle no bother and strain the bits of cork out. In that case, a bottle of Black Barrel for your troubles is not a bad deal.

Yeah, they want the bottle and contents in exchange for a newer product. I'm concerned that I am giving back something rare / expensive. Their 1st suggestion was to take back, re bottle and reseal.

Any rarity value is lost now that it's been opened so I'd argue with Jameson that you want a 12 year whiskey in exchange.

Otherwise, I'd rather just decant that myself than swap it for Black Barrell tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

IMO the Jameson 12 is a nicer whiskey, plus you can't get it now without spending 80+ on auction.

Seal the bottle now as best you can to ensure its airtight. Once you get a replacement Cork strain the whiskey and stick it back in the bottle.
    I prob have an empty 12 yo bottle at home and can give you the Cork if you want an exact one, but any one should do.

Then pick up a black Barrell when on offer next time and do a side by side comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I had a similar issue with an old bottle of cognac recently. I just decanted it into a nicer bottle, straining out any cork.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The OP mentions that IDL are offering to strain & rebottle the contents, which would seem to me the best option (short of them replacing it with another bottle of the same whiskey).

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Hi All.

Just to update you. In the end I asked IDL to rebottle the 12 year old. Hey took it away last week down to Middleton and as a gesture of good will they gave me a bottle of Black barrel.

I must say that I was very happy with the customer service provided.... And the Black Barrel.

potsy11 wrote: »
    Hi All.

Just to update you. In the end I asked IDL to rebottle the 12 year old. Hey took it away last week down to Middleton and as a gesture of good will they gave me a bottle of Black barrel.

I must say that I was very happy with the customer service provided.... And the Black Barrel.

Good result. :)

Advertisement