Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decent Stand Mixer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Don’t know much about swan brand but the mixer seems relatively well reviewed. Personally I’d spend the bit extra and get this.
    https://www.did.ie/kenwood-1000w-chef-food-mixer-white-kvc3100w-kvc3100w-prd

Always easier get parts and accessories for them.
    I nearly bought it last year when it was €150 in Arnotts it may drop a bit but that was an exceptional price. Didn’t get it because my mother in law gave me her 30 year old one! It’s had a fair bit of use the last year making bread and is coping well. Have got the food processor attachment for it, mincer is next one I want!

K mix is €220 here if she wants the retro looks but it’s not as good a machine as the chef.
    https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/kenwood-kmixnbspstand-mixer-white/1600221705.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Second the Kenwood chef, it is in a clas of its own.
    Lots of accessories available if you want to do things other than mixing, I have a mincer attachment that allows me to mince meat and anything else for sausage making.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Second the Kenwood chef, it is in a clas of its own.
    Lots of accessories available if you want to do things other than mixing, I have a mincer attachment that allows me to mince meat and anything else for sausage making.

Careful with that, I broke the gearbox on one using the mincer, a hand one is actually better...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

And if you really want to go large one of the kenwood chefs (major? Maybe?) comes with a silicone k beater... So the bowl gets scraped down as it mixes, dead handy, but they're about 50 / 60 quid on their own and I doubt they'll fit a standard chef...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Kmix is on Amazon special today for £169

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Markcheese wrote: »
    Careful with that, I broke the gearbox on one using the mincer, a hand one is actually better...

I used my mums one a good bit growing up and it never gave any bother. Not sure the model I have now is as durable as her one though. What hand one would you recommend?

ongarite wrote: »
    Kmix is on Amazon special today for £169

Good deal
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-kMix-Stand-Mixer-Black/dp/B072175JWB

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Thanks for all the comments, I ended up buying the Swan one for her as she is only 9yr old and was a good price, so will see how she gets on with this one. I think it will be good enough for her occasional baking etc. If needs be can upgrade in couple years to something better.

Ryath wrote: »
    I used my mums one a good bit growing up and it never gave any bother. Not sure the model I have now is as durable as her one though. What hand one would you recommend?

Good deal
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-kMix-Stand-Mixer-Black/dp/B072175JWB

The one i knackered was a 70s made one, so far from new, (and it was my fault for being a bit heavy with it)
    I don't have a specific brand to recommend.. But I've used a couple of polish made ones and they were grand..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Markcheese wrote: »
    The one i knackered was a 70s made one, so far from new, (and it was my fault for being a bit heavy with it)
    I don't have a specific brand to recommend.. But I've used a couple of polish made ones and they were grand..

Jaysus, you must have been tough on it. My mother's Kenwood Chef from the early 70's is still going strong. I'm curious to see if the one she bought Mrs Sleepy as an engagement present will last as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The one I have is a fairly recent model, 1000w or so, It didn't have any problems mincing meat, It was diced to about 25mm pieces and fed through in batches not overloading the machine.
    I've done a share of meat mincing with different machines and this handled it better than many specific mincers that I have used.
    When you are making 5kg of sausage mix a hand powered grinder is not the nicest of implements to be using

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Hijacking this thread, hope the OP doesn't mind. Can anyone recommend a strong stand mixer for doing sourdough using a dough hook? I have a Kenwood Prospero, 900W but it just isnt able for sourdough. It's constantly crunchinh and skipping gears - I've had one replaced under warranty so far. I've limited space so a full size kenwood chef isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Work away, the one I had ordered got lost in delivery so never arrived for christmas, ended up having to go to HN to pick up the Kenwood Kmix. Cost a good bit more but daughter was delighted on christmas day.

The Kmix seems quite good from what I have seen but I wouldnt have any experience so ill let others recommend one for sourdough.

Advertisement