Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rosslare Ferry to Europe

• 28-01-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

Beat FM are reporting a new ferry company are very close to signing a deal to start a service from Rosslare to Europe.

It would be great for the region if this was reinstated.

Does anyone have any more details?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Brittany Ferries i believe.

One ship doing alternate routes to Santander and another French port.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

gouche wrote: »
    Brittany Ferries i believe.

One ship doing alternate routes to Santander and another French port.

moving out of Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I don't know.
    There's a thread in the Cork City forum suggesting that is the case though.

Ger Carthy, an independent general election candidate for Wexford, let it slip yesterday on Facebook about the new company coming into Rosslare.
    All things point to it being Brittany Ferries but no formal announcement yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

gouche wrote: »
    I don't know.
    There's a thread in the Cork City forum suggesting that is the case though.

Ger Carthy, an independent general election candidate for Wexford, let it slip yesterday on Facebook about the new company coming into Rosslare.
    All things point to it being Brittany Ferries but no formal announcement yet.

seems likely, can't imagine BF running identical services from Rosslare and Cork. New Ross bypass will make Rosslare a bit more reachable from Munster.

That would leave Ringaskiddy with no ferry services yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

loyatemu wrote: »
    seems likely, can't imagine BF running identical services from Rosslare and Cork. New Ross bypass will make Rosslare a bit more reachable from Munster.

That would leave Ringaskiddy with no ferry services yeah?

I would wish Rosslare & Wexford every success if it manages to attract new business although; my only concern would be if it came at the expense of the Port of Cork and the greater Cork/Kerry and the south-west tourism region as a whole.

Brittany Ferries (BF) is currently the only car/passenger ferry operator between Cork to Roscoff, France and it also operates it's Cork to Santander, Spain and services depart from the Ringaskiddy Ferryport terminal in County Cork.

Port of Cork also benefits from the cruise liners business with 100 visits while Bantry Bay hosted 10 during the year 2019. Most cruise liner visits to the Port of Cork are hosted at a dedicated cruise terminal in the harbour town of Cobh, Co. Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Cork to Santander is being changed to Rosslare to Bilbao.

Midweek Cork to Roscoff is also moving

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Major-Cork-ferry-route-cancelled-4055dc59-d23f-404a-bc04-3cc3ab6f0f0b-ds

No plans to move the main summer Cork to Roscoff service on the Pont Aven

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

rosslare to bilbao intriuges me , driving holiday to sunny spain and only an hour and a bit down the road to the port.

It would be nice if BF did a bit more to make the ship more well equipped than the kind of ferry you get to hollyhead. But sure opens up some great travel possibilities.

rosslare to bilbao intriuges me , driving holiday to sunny spain and only an hour and a bit down the road to the port.

It would be nice if BF did a bit more to make the ship more well equipped than the kind of ferry you get to hollyhead. But sure opens up some great travel possibilities.

The service is primarily targeting freight as this is where it generates most of it's revenue I would imagine hence; the basic facilities. I'm quite sure if Brittany Ferries noticed a growing passenger demand over a prolonged period of time they would probably look at sourcing an alternative vessel as trends change over time. As ferry operators they probably need to ensure that they have an incoming revenue stream during the off-season when there are few tourists travelling these routes. If the route was to become very popular with passengers going forward Brittany Ferries are bound to analyse it and respond accordingly to the demand as they have done before with Cork Roscoff as the vessels used on that route have got bigger as demand has grown over the years.

Back in 1994 I recall using Brittany Ferries MV Duchess Anne (formerly the "MV Leinster" for the B+I Line which I think was originally built at former Verolme Dockyard in Rushbrook, County Cork) on the Cork to St. Malo route however; when the ship was subsequently sold, the route ex-Cork was closed only after about 2-3 seasons which was a shame at the time.

I think Brittany Ferries also came to an arrangement with a former ferry operator called, "Swansea Cork Ferries" which ran ferry services between Cork and Swansea in South Wales for a number of years.

Around the middle of the '90's decade, cheap air fares from airlines like Ryanair became a reality which would have negatively impacted the ferry sector's leisure business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd say it could do quite well, as lots are use to the drive to Rosslare, which is even handier from the east coast now. Poor timing for this summer season, as most would've booked by now.

We looked at BF to do Spain or the south of France (with our tent), but Cork was just too far this side. It will make our options for 2121 more interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I did it last year (and have already booked again for this year) and while the drive to Ringaskiddy isn't too bad, having to drive 100 km fewer is welcome (even if the last 50 or so isn't motorway). Bilbao is roughly equidistant from my ultimate venue in Spain so that's not the end of the world either, but I'd welcome an earlier departure time (like say 4 or 5pm from Ireland) so we don't have to spend 36 hours on the boat which is fairly basic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The Cork-Santander schedule was interesting in that certain departures meant two nights on board while others were just a single night but a fairly late in the day arrival. I presume that doesn't change with a Rosslare-Bilbao route.

Depends on the departure time. Santander to Cork takes 27 hours, leaves at 1700 Spanish time and gets in at 1900 Irish time. It takes ~36 hours on the way down as it leaves Cork at 2230, so taking the 27 hours would be 0230 Spanish time. This is not allowed due to noise considerations, so they slow down on the way to Santander to arrive at 0800

If the ferry were to leave at, say, 4 pm there wouldnt be the same issue (though it might be an issue for the return trip).

I called them a few minutes ago, no official word yet but they expect the schedule to be materially unchanged from the existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

What days are they sailing rosslare - roscoff. Hopefully Friday and returning Saturday. I miss the booze cruise

According to the Brittany Ferries freight website the average crossing time is X 26 Hours
    Some departure and arrival times may vary up to 1 hour due to tidal conditions.
    Please be aware that this schedule is subject to change.
    2 departures per week ex-Rosslare
    2 departures per week ex-Bilbao
    Departure/Arrival dates & times not yet published
    Timetable coming soon...

Source:
    https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/article/71676/bilbao-to-rosslare

Irishder wrote: »
    What days are they sailing rosslare - roscoff. Hopefully Friday and returning Saturday. I miss the booze cruise

Brittany Ferries will resume it's Cork to Roscoff cruise ferry sailings on the "MV Pont Aven" vessel at Ringaskiddy Ferryport in County Cork as from Saturday March 21st until late October. This service departs Roscoff, France on Fridays and arrives in Cork, Ireland on Saturdays.

Meanwhile the Rosslare to Roscoff service on the "MV Kerry" will not commence before 28th February and this has been described as a "mid-week" service although; it has been departing on Mondays and arriving on Tuesdays to date ex-Cork. As Brittany Ferries are still referring to it as a "mid-week" service from Rosslare to Roscoff, I would NOT expect this one to arrrive/depart over a weekend as I gather the same vessel will be used to cover other crossings - probably the new Rosslare, Ireland to Bilbao, Spain route.

The "MV Connemara" previously did both of the Cork Santander route departures & arrivals in addition to the mid-week Cork Roscoff route last season.

The MV Connemara was subsequently replaced by the vessel, "MV Kerry" on the Ireland/Spain route in addition to the mid-week Ireland/Roscoff route.

I got an email back from them a few days ago,the Kerry's outbound sailing on the Friday is 2330 from Rosslare, arrival in Bilbao at 0800 Sunday (so basically 1 hour less sailing time than before) and leaves Bilbao at 1200 on the Sunday, arriving in Rosslare at 1600 on the Monday, which is actually 1 hour more than the Santander-Cork original route. They knocked €108 off the total price (2*€35 from Cork-Rosslare and 2*€18 Santander-Bilbao, not sure how they worked that out) so I'm happy out; less driving to/from Dublin for me and my ultimate destination in Spain is roughly equidistant from either port.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Music Box

Hi All. Has anyone travelled on the MV Kerry on the Bilbao route. What's the ship like. What's the journey like on the Bay of Biscay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

I saw the journey over was horrendous and it ran out of food etc. The journey back was cancelled yesterday, a guy I know was updating on Fb about it. He said the ship was not fit for the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

patrickc wrote: »
    I saw the journey over was horrendous and it ran out of food etc. The journey back was cancelled yesterday, a guy I know was updating on Fb about it. He said the ship was not fit for the journey.

To be honest I was wondering when I saw the pics of the ship- it looks small, old fashioned. Not near as impressive as the Stena or most Irish ferries (bar that smaller older yoke they run for mainly freight). Wouldn’t fancy all the way to Spain and back in it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Connamara is the same as the LV Norman that ran and the Stenna/ Celtic link ship
    I'd imagine the Kerry is the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement