Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trouble finding bigger calibre for sales

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I dont think I could spend that kind of money on a sako.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

will be somewhere between €3.5k - €4K , 

Phew!!!......

I could think of a few other rifles and some European glass I could/would buy plus a lot of ammo for that coinage.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

Phew!!!......

I could think of a few other rifles and some European glass I could/would buy plus a lot of ammo for that coinage.

I have the glass sorted

Have an x5i on my 204
    Have a z8i 2.3-18 on my bergara creedmoor
    Have a z8i 3-28 for the new bat creedmoor

Think I would put the smaller mag z8i on the 204 and put the x5i on the 30.06.More elevation to play with and still excellent glass.

Toss up now between a Blaser or the carbon wolf I’d say

zeissman wrote: »
    I dont think I could spend that kind of money on a sako.

Your not wrong , you would get a new tikka with a new custom barrel in a new pse stock for less , a lot of hassle though .

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

gearoidol wrote: »
    Have you shot any light 30.06 rigs ?

Not had the pleasure of firing an 06 yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

Your not wrong , you would get a new tikka with a new custom barrel in a new pse stock for less , a lot of hassle though .

That's the way I would be going. Now would be the time to do it with the season almost over. You would have it in a few months and have all summer to shoot it. That way you could choose the calibre, barrel length and profile you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I know a professional stalker in Kintyre in Scotland. His favorite rifle is a remmy 700 in .270 win. He would shoot more deer in a season than everybody on here combined. He often knocks 6 or 7 in a day. From brand new in the box to the rifle being scrap is 4 years, but he reckons you cannot beat the 700.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

tudderone wrote: »
    I know a professional stalker in Kintyre in Scotland. His favorite rifle is a remmy 700 in .270 win. He would shoot more deer in a season than everybody on here combined. He often knocks 6 or 7 in a day. From brand new in the box to the rifle being scrap is 4 years, but he reckons you cannot beat the 700.

I get where you are coming from but to be fair, you have no idea how many deer the posters on here shoot in a season so that's a bit of an idle boast.

I think myself that when it comes to hunting and fishing, like other things in life, some people are just born for it and most others will always be hard triers. I've seen hunters and anglers who are gifted and are a pleasure to witness and they do phenomenal things in their stride, but I've seen them have off days too.

When push comes to shove it's all down to basic instinct, the deer or the trout or the salmon has no idea how much you spent on the equipment but if you work hard and enjoy the sport then why not expand your horizons and spend what you can afford and get the most out of it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I get where you are coming from but to be fair, you have no idea how many deer the posters on here shoot in a season so that's a bit of an idle boast.

I think myself that when it comes to hunting and fishing, like other things in life, some people are just born for it and most others will always be hard triers. I've seen hunters and anglers who are gifted and are a pleasure to witness and they do phenomenal things in their stride, but I've seen them have off days too.

When push comes to shove it's all down to basic instinct, the deer or the trout or the salmon has no idea how much you spent on the equipment but if you work hard and enjoy the sport then why not expand your horizons and spend what you can afford and get the most out of it.

I was not boasting, i don't boast, its not even about me, so i am hardly likely to boast for someone else.

tudderone wrote: »
    I was not boasting, i don't boast, its not even about me, so i am hardly likely to boast for someone else.

As the man in the orthopedic shoes said, "I stand corrected".

I misunderstood.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

How right you are RG, made my purchase this morning ,went for the Sako 85 Carbon Wolf in 30.06 ,probably overpriced ,but i have a soft spot for it so looking forward to seeing whats its like in the field

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

..... made my purchase this morning
    Congrats and well ware. Want some pictures when it comes.
    ,went for the Sako 85 Carbon Wolf in 30.06 ,probably overpriced ,......

When you said above that it'll be between £3.5 to £4K i was going to say that seems to be double the price, but i was looking at the Sako Black Wolf. The Carbon model is an extra grand and online prices are between £3 (on sale) to £3.5k.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Congrats and well ware. Want some pictures when it comes.

When you said above that it'll be between £3.5 to £4K i was going to say that seems to be double the price, but i was looking at the Sako Black Wolf. The Carbon model is an extra grand and online prices are between £3 (on sale) to £3.5k.

Yeah initially it was the black wolf i was after (grs stock) but i found a carbon wolf in stock somewhere , they are a 9 month order from Sako and with all the brexit stuff i wouldnt be comfortable ordering it or expecting it on time .

Well it worked out about €3500 in euro and i got a solid trade in for my bergara hmr ,should have serial number tomorrow so can get the fca in over the weekend

Well the eagle has landed . Have it with 3 weeks but due to work pressures only got out to zero yesterday. Its a beauty ,very happy.
    Being my first 30.06 i wasn't sure about the recoil in such a light rifle but it is a puppy to shoot. Probably due to the pistol grip it helps to really control the rifle under recoil.Shot about .6 of an inch while cleaning for 5 shots with Federal 165 Nosler Ballistic tips .

Full Specs are as follows

Sako 85 Carbon Wolf 30.06
    Swarovski x5i 5-25x56 Scope
    Yo dave 1lb Trigger Spring
    Hausken Jd 224 Hunter Mod
    Atlas Bt17 Dual Sling stud to rail adapter
    Atlas Bipod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Well the eagle has landed

That is stunning :eek: well wear and hope it brings you on many an adventure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

You'll never go wrong with a Sako.

Well ware, aim small and hit hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Great looking gun..Happy and safe shooting and well wear with it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Nice one. Best of luck with it, be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

That stock though. Really nice. Well wear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wow, that is nice, very nice. Best of luck with her, not that its needed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Just when the recession is starting to kick in ,i get a call to say my custom 6.5 Creedmoor that has been 5 months in the making is ready :D, its another carbon affair but very different to the sako. It looks a big heavy monster but the carbon stock and barrel make it very light weight ,it came in at 11lbs fully kitted out with wildcat and scope etc.

Spec is as follows

Bat Vr Short Action
    Proof Research Carbon Barrel 24"
    Swarovski Z8i 3.5-28x50 4ai Scope with top and side turrets
    Jewel Trigger
    Atlas Bipod

Last attachment is a pic of shots 4,5,6 during cleaning with Hornady Match 140 EldM

Jaysus, any jobs going? :pac:

That's another cracker of a rifle. I have a similar one myself and it is a laser, so easy to shoot.

What bottom metal are you using?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Jaysus, any jobs going? :pac:

That's another cracker of a rifle. I have a similar one myself and it is a laser, so easy to shoot.

What bottom metal are you using?

Ah stop , it’s been an expensive few weeks.

Edi uses Atlasworks aics bottom metals as far as I know , feeds very well anyway, he is a gent and anything he has ever done for me has been top class

Edi uses Atlasworks aics bottom metals as far as I know , feeds very well anyway, he is a gent and anything he has ever done for me has been top class

When the world is back on track I must pay him a visit, I have the same stock and wouldn't mind changing my bottom metal to something similar.

Advertisement