Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carton House

• 04-09-2018 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi there,
    does anyone know how difficult it would be to join Carton House without knowing an existing member?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Shop40 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    does anyone know how difficult it would be to join Carton House without knowing an existing member?
    Many thanks

They will snap your hand off but if you need a member to recommend you I can talk to a friend for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

Ollieboy wrote: »
    They will snap your hand off but if you need a member to recommend you I can talk to a friend for you.
    Thanks for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Hi there,
    Many thanks

There's no issue. I'm a member there, and the application process is very straight forward. PM me if you need contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    There's no issue. I'm a member there, and the application process is very straight forward. PM me if you need contact details.
    That’s brilliant, thanks for this. Fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Do you think the 2.5k fee is good value? While I think the O'Meara is a stunning course I don't rate the Montgomerie at all. (Maybe I'm not good/accurate enough :))

• Advertisement

zep wrote: »
    Do you think the 2.5k fee is good value? While I think the O'Meara is a stunning course I don't rate the Montgomerie at all. (Maybe I'm not good/accurate enough :))

I moved from Killeen Castle this year to Carton. The fee in Killeen was 2.2 while the fee in Carton is 2.5, there are no comp fees, so assuming you play once a week, you'll get value.

Both courses are a challenge, but I think the Monty is the jewel there. Very tough (even though they've cut back on the rough) and you have to be long and straight. Definitely one for the lower handicapper, but that's the beauty of the place, as a guy of 20 can easily and enjoyably go around the O'Meara and play to handicap.

I took up membership of the SPA and Leisure centre also, heavily discounted, and as a member have free use of the driving range and GUI facilities.

So, yes, I think the fee is justified and worth it, but maybe not for everyone.

It’s excellent value for a product of that quality.

Any player can play a round on the O’Meara and score ok, it’s very straight forward course, but the Monty will make you work for a score on every hole. Class course and I play the Monty every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wasn't it about 40k a year back in the boom.

Wasn't it about 40k a year back in the boom.
    I believe there was an initial joining fee but it was a share option. Not the case anymore, as with many other venues.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    It’s excellent value for a product of that quality.

Any player can play a round on the O’Meara and score ok, it’s very straight forward course, but the Monty will make you work for a score on every hole. Class course and I play the Monty every year.
    Have you played this year, I've not been out yet, I've heard that before the Amateur championship the place had gone down hill and that it will be in the market soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Hi there,
    Many thanks

As others said, the process is very straightforward. If you’re in to your golf, it’s well worth it. The facilities are outstanding and the courses are fantastic in different ways. I dont get involved in the club part of it but it seems to be fairly vibrant for those who are interested. Pretty much everyone I’ve played with is sound too.

PM me if you need any other info.

Have you played this year, I've not been out yet, I've heard that before the Amateur championship the place had gone down hill and that it will be in the market soon.

Played the O’Meara in July and last year and Monty late last year.

I’m not a fan of the O’Meara but I love the Monty but they have made it easier and the bunkers are not top notch anymore but I still love the course.

At its peak it was €35k to buy a share but the sub was more or less the same.

When I looked at joining it the fee was €10k but I pick Corrstown (€8k at the time) instead due to its better share structure and more of a golfing club then a corporate business.

Carton is still very much a corporate golf club and if I joined it I would only do it for a year but I think it’s an amazing facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

That's the second piece of hearsay you've posted tonight.

That's the second piece of hearsay you've posted tonight.

That's information direct from some members I know so not hearsay but opinions. I don't post hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That's information direct from some members I know so not hearsay but opinions. I don't post hearsay.
    That's actually the definition of hearsay. You hear it and then say it. ;)

Not being hearsay would be a direct statement from the concerned party.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's actually the definition of hearsay. You hear it and then say it. ;)

Not being hearsay would be a direct statement from the concerned party.

😂. Well I suppose as I can't substantiate it then yeah could be interpreted as hearsay. But I wouldn't count it as a rumour, since it's direct from few members. Different ways of looking at it.
    I'm actually playing in 2 weeks and expecting the place to be immaculate due to the Amateur championship just finished there, they did Savage amount of work for that.

Horses**t.

The resort was bought last year (December) for €57M, and several improvements have been made, with a multi-million budget in place to update the facilities and some aspects of the courses. The new owner is an Irish American with a history of redevelopment and investment in resorts worldwide. There are major plans for the resort.

A number of bunkers on the Monty have been adjusted, as it was felt (justifiably IMO)that they where too penal off the tee.

Both courses are in great condition, and the O'Meara, which did suffer from the dry weather earlier this year, is playing the best I have seen, with the drainage on the first hole making a huge difference to it's play-ability.

I'd suggest that you go out and play the course before repeating this type of drivel in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

I took up membership of the SPA and Leisure centre also, heavily discounted, and as a member have free use of the driving range and GUI facilities.

So, yes, I think the fee is justified and worth it, but maybe not for everyone.

Do you mind me asking how much the gym and spa was discounted to?

As part of the 2.5k fee is there some monies put on a members card for bar and food?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Just emailed to apply for membership - fingers crossed it’s still straightforward. I’ve tried to research various clubs as best I could and Carton appears good value for what I’m looking for (somewhere where you can practise hard, play a lot and hopefully try get the HC down).

Will update you guys if the process isn’t straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just got a mail from their distribution list announcing their mid-year deal:

July 2019 - June 2020
    €2,500
    Includes:
    Membership of GUI academy
    15% in Pro-shop outlets
    Free warm up balls at the range pre-round
    Weekly comps covering both courses
    Reduced rates for membership of leisure club & for golf lessons.

Doesn't mention anything about Comp fees or Bar levies

• Advertisement

just to update, been a member there now for 6 months - absolutely the right decision. the facilities are incredible - if you're really into your golf and want to improve, it's fantastic. hard to imagine another club that could rival it on this front (given it has the GUI academy).

I've generally found pretty much everyone very sound and friendly.

also, the courses are in great shape this time of the year too.

overall, it's expensive but (in my view anyway), it's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

just to update, been a member there now for 6 months - absolutely the right decision. the facilities are incredible - if you're really into your golf and want to improve, it's fantastic. hard to imagine another club that could rival it on this front (given it has the GUI academy).

I've generally found pretty much everyone very sound and friendly.

also, the courses are in great shape this time of the year too.

overall, it's expensive but (in my view anyway), it's well worth it.

I've played the Monty for past two Fridays and have to agree its in amazing condition.

Its playing a little generous with the rough cut back but it must be incredible to play in the summer.

I still couldn't justify the money but there is no doubting the quality.

pakman wrote: »
    I've played the Monty for past two Fridays and have to agree its in amazing condition.

Its playing a little generous with the rough cut back but it must be incredible to play in the summer.

yeah I guess the money depends on a whole variety of things, kids, wife, where you live, how much you intend to play etc. etc.!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

pakman wrote: »

Haha, I played it the last few weeks as well. Was very tough last Friday with the wind blowing, ended up with 20 points!!! The back 9 in particular was tough as most of the holes were into the wind.

Hope to play again this Friday with brother in law if you are looking for someone to play with?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

davegilly wrote: »
    Haha, I played it the last few weeks as well. Was very tough last Friday with the wind blowing, ended up with 20 points!!! The back 9 in particular was tough as most of the holes were into the wind.

Hope to play again this Friday with brother in law if you are looking for someone to play with?

I would love to but can't quite pull off a 3rd week in a row but will let you know when out next for definite.

I came 3rd last week with 33 points after a nightmare the week before in arguably easier conditions where I only scored 19 points. The wind on the final holes was intense though. I had four 1 pointers back to back coming up to 18 which I managed to birdie somehow. Great fun!

Based on the indexes I think the wind both those fridays was the opposite to how it usually plays. Wind at your back on the first and in the final stretch but I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I just joined Carton House, played the Monty this past Sunday and it was in fantastic condition I thought. It is still a bit mushy from all the rain in just a few spots and I did have one ball disappear in a muddy patch but it was well off the fairway (my worst drive of the day).

I scored 28 points, but unofficially as my handicap has not been formally set by the secretary yet. Waiting to hear from him again, but I am expecting to need to turn in 3 cards again as my last GUI handicap was from 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Quite interested in this, when compared to some local clubs of lower standard that are looking for hello money of €5k it actually seems to be good value.

Is It difficult to get tee time at weekends? I know they do a winter comp on Fridays is there any Wednesday competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

what is the membership rate now? Are competions included or is there an entrance fee for these?

Ah_go_on wrote: »
    Quite interested in this, when compared to some local clubs of lower standard that are looking for hello money of €5k it actually seems to be good value.

Is It difficult to get tee time at weekends? I know they do a winter comp on Fridays is there any Wednesday competitions?

Not difficult, and there is a waiting list option which works really well. Members comps Sat & Sun, semi open comps on Wed.

mickey15ie wrote: »
    what is the membership rate now? Are competions included or is there an entrance fee for these?

€2850 (€2550 if paid before Jan 15) per year. No competition fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Not difficult, and there is a waiting list option which works really well. Members comps Sat & Sun, semi open comps on Wed.

€2850 (€2550 if paid before Jan 15) per year. No competition fees.

That’s not bad considering the quality of courses and amenities. Makes you wonder how some clubs expect new members to cough up €5k + annual for an inferior package.

Advertisement