Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two new Trek Series coming. What do you want?

Options
  • 15-01-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭

So apparently there are a further two live action series coming. NOT counting Picard and Section 31. So what do you wanna see? Any why?

[More Trek]

(And please leave the "Whatever Sux" conversation at the door.)

What Live Action Series do you want to see next? 109 votes

Pike Series
    63% 69 votes
    MACO Series (Space Marines)
    11% 12 votes
    Lower Decks-Type Series
    2% 3 votes
    Star Fleet Academy Series
    3% 4 votes
    Non-Federation Series (Set in universe but not involving Federation centrally)
    2% 3 votes
    Far Future Series
    6% 7 votes
    Lwaxana Troi Series
    8% 9 votes
    Other....
    1% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'd like to see a series where they revisit all the planets they can across and had a role in during TNG. So like how did the Bringloidi and the Mariposans get on, or the Ornarans and the Brekkans etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Federation is played out at this stage, some new perspectives would be nice. Not necessarily one deconstructing the institution but showing how it's seen elsewhere.

Seems like a show about the Macqui, and those humans choosing to live outside of the Fed system, would be a no-brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Evade

Anthology series. Make Star Trek a background setting, pick an era and a type of story and go for it.
    • MACO team's last stand during the Earth Romulan war
    • A ship disabled and left adrift during a Dominion War big fleet engagement and the race to get the ship back in the fight
    • Could expand on previously seen characters without needing them prop up a whole series
    • Temporal Investigations
    • Alien perspective episode
    It's the ultimate no brainer in my opinion. No recurring main cast could really keep a sense of suspense and mystery. Probably not as expensive as it sounds either since most Federation starships and space stations could be very minor redresses of the same few sets possibly ones that have already been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Voted for Pike and Other.

At this stage I'll be surprised if the Pike series is not one of the two being teased. Any quotes I've seen from actors or producers involved suggest that they're up for it. Probably just working out the logistics at this stage.

And now with the Disco in the far-future, they've surely got a lot of sets, props, and guest actors, they'd like to reuse.

Aside from that, something continuing the story from – or in the style of – DS9 would be great. Similar to Picard, pick up a thread (or two) 20 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pike for sure.

Then, would be curious to see a Non-Federation Series.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A Captain Pike show!

Mirror Universe with the Terran Empire show.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would love to see a series set on a new ship, with a new crew that has tranwarp and is the Delta Quadrant now 10 20 years after Voyager was there. It be interesting to see how the Federation and Voyager was viewed if some are interested in joining the Federation and so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Evade wrote: »
    Anthology series. Make Star Trek a background setting, pick an era and a type of story and go for it.
    • MACO team's last stand during the Earth Romulan war
    • A ship disabled and left adrift during a Dominion War big fleet engagement and the race to get the ship back in the fight
    • Could expand on previously seen characters without needing them prop up a whole series
    • Temporal Investigations
    • Alien perspective episode
    It's the ultimate no brainer in my opinion. No recurring main cast could really keep a sense of suspense and mystery. Probably not as expensive as it sounds either since most Federation starships and space stations could be very minor redresses of the same few sets possibly ones that have already been built.

I think in the very early days of Discovery planning they were planning something similar. Remember those reports that each season was going to be a different crew/time/species?

However from a studio POV you can understand their hesitation: Sure, from a viewer POV it might be more interesting but what if a particular crew is a fan favourite? Would you really move on next season? This was the original idea of the series "Heroes": Each season was supposed to focus on an almost entirely new group of people. With maybe one character bridging the seasons. (The teleportation/time travel guy). Which is why season 1 pretty much wrapped everything up. But then the initial cast became very very popular so they scrapped the idea of moving on to a new batch..... and... well, some may be old enough to remember how that worked out :)

I always thought that DS9 should have ended on a downer: The Dominion winning the war. If any show had the balls to do that it would have been DS9.

It would have set up another new series nicely: Have it set 50-100 years later. Federation very much the outsiders. Still have their TNG/DS9 technology etc, they haven't regressed or anything. But they are very much starting from scratch again. Very few allies: Vulcans, Maybe Romulans (Until they discover Sisco's plot), maybe Klingons who donn't really like the Federation but hate The Dominion more.

But yeah..... For me, and most, it's Pike. And I will eat my hat if it's not one of the ones picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

I always thought that DS9 should have ended on a downer: The Dominion winning the war. If any show had the balls to do that it would have been DS9.

Heh, Voyager emerges from the transwarp network, escapes to the Alpha Quadrant and is promptly destroyed by a Dominion ship.

That could have worked nicely.

DS9 ends in 1999 with Dominion winning the war. Federation in tatters.

Voyager continues their journey, none the wiser, and in their final episode in 2001 returns to the Alpha Quadrant – two years after the end of the war.

All that advanced tech they bring back gives the Federation a final fighting chance. A great oportuninty for another series, more movies, etc.

Oh well.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Daith wrote: »
    Heh, Voyager emerges from the transwarp network, escapes to the Alpha Quadrant and is promptly destroyed by a Dominion ship.

The Borg could not destroy Voyager with the advanced technology they got from Admiral Janeway I don't think the Dominion would have been able to destroy them.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    That could have worked nicely.

DS9 ends in 1999 with Dominion winning the war. Federation in tatters.

Voyager continues their journey, none the wiser, and in their final episode in 2001 returns to the Alpha Quadrant – two years after the end of the war.

All that advanced tech they bring back gives the Federation a final fighting chance. A great oportuninty for another series, more movies, etc.

Oh well.

I like that. Voyager comes back with tha advanced tech which is quickly utilised by the Federation and within a year or two both they the Klingons and some other races drive the Dominion back to the Gamma Quadrant.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

tbh, i wouldnt mine seeing one of the STO storylines happen.

Essentially you keep out of our way/we'll keep out of your way thing with the dominion.
    Fed ships still going through for trade and colonisation and then the Hurq (or a new species beginning to wage war across the Gamme and then Alpha quadrants).

It turns out there's a section 31 of the changelings and they've been doing bad stuff, so the Alpha quadrant species + the "loyal dominion" under Odo need to work together to beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

By the way, WHO clicked on the Lwaxanna Troi series? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Tal Shiar or Obsidian Order focused series - possibly set in the "Picard" time period, as we saw that "prequels" and stuff that fits "in the middle" are huge headaches and limit the storylines.

Alternatively, Mirror Universe perspective - I've always thought that the "Terran Empire" is a much more likely outcome for mankind than the UFP, if we ever achieved any means of effective space travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Maybe one where a ship seeks out new planets and new civilisations. Exploring like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Literally anything as long as it’s not superhero crap marvel based stuff.

So much money and time wasted on that in recent years.

I really want to see more true space based sci fi.

So many voting for Pike series.

I do laugh then seeing so much angst any time a prequel is mentioned

So many voting for Pike series.
    I do laugh then seeing so much angst any time a prequel is mentioned

Are they the same people though???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Evade

I think Pike and the Enterprise were probably the best thing in STD but I don't want a Pike series because a prequel has too many constraints.

The thing with a Pike series, if they do it right, it could be this:
    Maybe one where a ship seeks out new planets and new civilisations. Exploring like.

But then again, Discovery could have been that too. There isn't that much known about the 23rd century.

If they stop trying to tie everything into the lore with people and things we've seen before (and maybe "shouldn't" be seeing in the 23rd century) and instead have a "new planet / new adventure" series of one or two part stories, that could be really good.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Goodshape wrote: »
    The thing with a Pike series, if they do it right, it could be this:

But then again, Discovery could have been that too. There isn't that much known about the 23rd century.

If they stop trying to tie everything into the lore with people and things we've seen before (and maybe "shouldn't" be seeing in the 23rd century) and instead have a "new planet / new adventure" series of one or two part stories, that could be really good.

But then again, Discovery could have been that too.

Enterprise could also have been that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

How about we use that wormhole with the moving end point that we saw in TNG and VGR. Hand-wave some explanation that scientist man has been able to determine where the end point will be but it takes the best Federation computers a year to crunch the numbers or something. So they know it's going to be deep in the Beta quadrant, a totally unexplored part chosen because of an interesting measurement or something from that area? A properly equipped Starfleet ship will be sent through and their mission to explore the route from there back to the Fed. It will take 4 years they reckon.

Absolutely no Section-31, no end-of-the-universe Discovery nonsense, no known characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

I'd like to see a series that is not afraid to meaningfully kill off characters and introduce new ones over seasons ala GOT

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A far future show set aboard the Enterprise J?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sleepy wrote: »

Between the ship itself and the uniforms, don't think my eyeballs could take so much ugly :p

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sleepy wrote: »

This always raises the question of, what could it do differently that hasn't been already done? We've seen TOS, TNG, VOY, & ENT all do the same thing, and by now....well, what's left except recycling? The only possibility, is to do something more like what Voyager should have been....a prototype ship, catapulted to another galaxy, with an unprepared crew, limited resources, and a journey ahead of them to get home. The only thing Trek hasn't properly explored yet, is how a Starfleet crew truly responds to life outside of their comfort zone. Yes, it's a bit BSG...but you could do it with a Trek flair to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was thinking the same re. a future series, and if I remember correctly one abandoned idea for a Trek show was to be set in a far-future where Warp Travel had started to properly destabilise the galaxy and became more restricted - with systems, colonies & species becoming more separated as a result.

That could be an interesting idea: putting the vastness of space back into Star Trek, something it has never really had (given the nature of its Utopian ideals)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'd like to see pike with the actor who played him in Discovery . What's his name ? But I think it has to be a new time line a la the rebooted films.
    Otherwise knowing his end would mean he is never under any real risk.
    However failing that a series that takes up where the federation is now ( Picard series) and that avoids being too dark. I think Discovery lacked any positivity which is part of what star trek is.
    I liked Discovery but it aped other sci fi shows rather than carrying on from previously established trek traditions. It was just too dark.

Pike brought some of that positivity back in Discovery. We need more tradition not less.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I'd like to see pike with the actor who played him in Discovery . What's his name ? But I think it has to be a new time line a la the rebooted films.... Pike brought some of that positivity back in Discovery. We need more tradition not less.

Pike in Discovery was played by Anson Mount, had a great 'presence' as the lead in western series Hell on Wheels - Colm Meaney played the antagonistic railroad baron.

Played by Bruce Greenwood in the recent Trek movies, a fine actor but not sure if budget would stretch to bringing him back for any flash forward scenes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Pike in Discovery was played by Anson Mount, had a great 'presence' as the lead in western series Hell on Wheels - Colm Meaney played the antagonistic railroad baron.

Played by Bruce Greenwood in the recent Trek movies, a fine actor but not sure if budget would stretch to bringing him back for any flash forward scenes :)

Is hell on wheels any good ?

Advertisement