Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firearms couriers

• 26-01-2020 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi what courier companies will transport a firearm within Ireland.I got my first rifle sent to me by fastaway but they proceeded to deliver it to a local shop the next village over so dont want to use them.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Asus1 wrote: »
    Hi what courier companies will transport a firearm within Ireland.I got my first rifle sent to me by fastaway but they proceeded to deliver it to a local shop the next village over so dont want to use them.Thanks.

Dpd bring ammo might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

The couriers used will be dictated by the sender. Tell whoever you buy off not to use a particular company. In my experience that is a common occurrence with that particular couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

Dpd bring ammo might be worth a shot.

I think you might be correct.Checked their prohibitive list and i dont see firearms or (weapons,most companies use this word).Looks to cost around €15 dropped to depot or €18 collected from door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

I think you might be correct.Checked their prohibitive list and i dont see firearms or (weapons,most companies use this word).Looks to cost around €15 dropped to depot or €18 collected from door.

Yeah if got ammo by the thousand dropped off by them. Never had any problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I believe that Fastway Couriers are a franchise operation, so very hit n miss.

I wouldn't have any confidence in them, tbh.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

Well rang dpd they said absolutely not.Fella said you could chance it but if gun got damaged or lost i would have no comeback to claim for it as it is a prohibited item.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Could you ask your friendly RFD who he uses?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have you tried An Post?

Once its within the country and you use registered post An Post will allow you to send ammo and firearms. I checked this out about three years ago. Needed to send some ammo to a friend and i asked before sending it. The lady said once it's not going outside the 26 counties and only through registered post can it be done. They won't do it through express or standard postage, for some reason.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Have you tried An Post?

Once its within the country and you use registered post An Post will allow you to send ammo and firearms. I checked this out about three years ago. Needed to send some ammo to a friend and i asked before sending it. The lady said once it's not going outside the 26 counties and only through registered post can it be done. They won't do it through express or standard postage, for some reason.
    Just rang there and i was told that they probably would send firearms within Ireland but the lady said your better off asking someone directly in the post office.

Yup, got the same answer when i asked. Went to my post office and told the lady that the package held 500 rounds of ammunition for a firearm. All she asked was where was it going. I told her the county. She said no problem as long as its within the 26, but you'll have to register the package.

Now it cost a pretty penny, but no more than a courier. I think it was €11 due to weight, and while registered post is between €6 - €10 if its over a certain weight and classed as a package registered post it a requirement. IOW its all done as the one. So for €14 i got the ammo sent.

No harm to ask at the post office just to be sure, but you could just wrap up the firearm, register it, and post it, and while i cannot guarantee there won't be an issue, if there is and you have a return address on the package its sent back you instead.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hotshot123

Yup, got the same answer when i asked. Went to my post office and told the lady that the package held 500 rounds of ammunition for a firearm. All she asked was where was it going. I told her the county. She said no problem as long as its within the 26, but you'll have to register the package.

Now it cost a pretty penny, but no more than a courier. I think it was €11 due to weight, and while registered post is between €6 - €10 if its over a certain weight and classed as a package registered post it a requirement. IOW its all done as the one. So for €14 i got the ammo sent.

No harm to ask at the post office just to be sure, but you could just wrap up the firearm, register it, and post it, and while i cannot guarantee there won't be an issue, if there is and you have a return address on the package its sent back you instead.
    I use both fast way and dpd for ammo and Firearms.
    Just put a note to be signed only at address used or have driver to ring your number.
    It's safer that way

I might be sending a gun to a dealer thats 1.5 to 2hrs away from me so around a 4hr journey thats without stopping for food and hitting no traffic,add in the cost of petrol and if i can get it sent insured for €14 id say thats a bargin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I might be sending a gun to a dealer thats 1.5 to 2hrs away from me so around a 4hr journey thats without stopping for food and hitting no traffic,add in the cost of petrol and if i can get it sent insured for €14 id say thats a bargin.

Absolutely, €10 worth of diesel is very quickly burnt.

Well was another no from my post office.The lady couldn't answer straight away so took my number and rang me back.She said that a larger post office the next village over use dhl for registered parcels and to ring dhl and see if they allow guns,they also said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

Anyone thinking of using An Post for firearms or ammunition delivery here or broad should first carefully read the T&C....

https://www.anpost.com/Terms-Conditions#single-piece-mail-terms-conditions

As per An Post's site on restricted items:
    An Post restricts a number of items on both its national and international postal services. These items can only be sent using the Registered Post service, although they may not always be insured.

You cannot send restricted items by Standard or Express Post, with the exception of cheques and bank drafts, which can be posted in Ireland by Standard Post at the sender’s risk. Restricted items include:

Advertisement