Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just Mercy (Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Foxx, Brie Larson)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Saw this in last week's screen unseen at the Odeon.

The true story the movie is based on is interesting and worth reading about. The movie itself, however, is predictable and clichéd.
    Earnest young lawyer, wronged prisoners stoically fighting the system, racist police chiefs. It's all there.
    Nothing in this that hasn't been seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Saw this in last week's screen unseen at the Odeon.

The true story the movie is based on is interesting and worth reading about. The movie itself, however, is predictable and clichéd.
    Earnest young lawyer, wronged prisoners stoically fighting the system, racist police chiefs. It's all there.
    Nothing in this that hasn't been seen before.

Felt the same, the story itself is very worthy and moving, but the film is not compelling at all because it's been done so often before.

steve_r wrote: »
    Felt the same, the story itself is very worthy and moving, but the film is not compelling at all because it's been done so often before.

Film is not up to the level of those HBO TV movies in the 90’s dealing with similar issues. It’s very simplistic, a bit Hallmark channel. The case is also way too simple to make for good drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

El Rifle wrote: »
    The case is also way too simple to make for good drama.

Agree with you on the quality of the film but disagree that the case is way too simple. On the contrary, I think the story just wasn't done the justice that it undoubtedly deserved.

Had been anticipating seeing it for so long too, as I love this kind of film, but sadly the film is a mess. Certain parts of the film just had no dramatic tension and when it did, it would be then killed almost instantly. Poor pacing, poor editing, poor direction and the performances in it I felt weren't up to much either, with the notable exception that is of Blake Nelson who played Ralph Myers. He stole stole the film but tbf, that wasn't hard.

Sure go and see it anyway, it's not so bad that it's not worth watching, just don't have too high expectations.

Here's the '92 episode of 60 minutes on the case:

And a docu on Stevenson well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Michael B Jordan was a poor choice for this role. He's a one trick pony.

• Advertisement

Agree with you on the quality of the film but disagree that the case is way too simple. On the contrary, I think the story just wasn't done the justice that it undoubtedly deserved.

Could be right about I'll try look at those vids. It just seemed so blatantly obvious and clear cut, it felt like the movie would go through the motions until the end.

Watched Dark Water last night, another legal drama which is infinitely better then this, so much deeper, far better acted with Ruffalo in the lead and a much more complex case.

Advertisement