Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Masters of the Universe (Live Action) 2019.

Options
  • 20-04-2018 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭

‘Masters of the Universe’: Nee Brothers to Direct He-Man Movie (EXCLUSIVE)
    He-Man has found new masters.

Sony Pictures and Mattel have tapped the directing duo of Aaron and Adam Nee to helm the He-Man movie “Masters of the Universe,” sources tell Variety.

Escape Artists’ Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal, and Steve Tisch will produce with DeVon Franklin.

The movie will be based on the beloved Mattel toyline, which spawned a successful animated TV series (1983-85) as well as a 1987 film. The property centers on the warrior He-Man, the last hope of a magical land called Eternia. Dolph Lundgren starred in the original pic as the title character, while Frank Langella played the villainous Skeletor.

The pic is written by David Goyer, who is also an executive producer. Goyer had circled the director’s chair, but prior engagements forced him to pass on directing, though insiders say he is extremely involved in the development of the film.

Sony has already dated the movie for 18, 2019, with exec Matt Milam overseeing it for the studio.

Sony is coming off one of its more successful years, following smash hits like “Spider-Man: Homecoming” and “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” both of which have future installments planned. Though “Masters of the Universe” has encountered hurdles over the years, Sony still views it as a valuable property and hopes to add it to its list of major franchises in the works.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/he-man-movie-director-masters-of-the-universe-1202763492/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Really hoping this gets made loved the cartoon as a kid and always had a soft spot for the Dolph Lundgren live action version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seem to associate He-Man with Keith Lemon nowadays. Still will be interested if they manage to make something of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

By the power of Grayskull....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well the first movie did end on a teaser. :) Though that sequel turned into Cyborg.

Would like to see them do it well. If they're not doing the Dolph Lundgren way and keeping him as He-Man the whole time, then I would prefer they have 2 different actors playing Adam and He-Man and don't try going digital.

Probably be a new animated series announced soon then

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He-Man portrays a negative body image for boys, this will never be allowed ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

razorblunt wrote: »
    He-Man portrays a negative body image for boys, this will never be allowed ...

And as for the name He-Man... sexist!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Is the 1987 film worth a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I say yes. Just don't go into it expecting it to be really loyal to the source material. Does have Lundgren, Monica from Friends, Paris from Star Trek Voyager, Strickland from BttF and Nixon from Frost/Nixon, as well as a catchy tune the key plays that i still find myself humming now and again.

Though i have found out it wasn't received well by everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The 87 film is like a Template for what Thor first film turned out to be

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    And as for the name He-Man... sexist!!! :pac:

He-she person

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

He-she person

She-Ra?

he-man_and_she-ra_guide_variant_full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Was She-Ra anything to yer man from Thundercats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Cena as He-Man :p

Cena is a budding comedic actor anf it wouldn't surprise me if they actually went down that route with He-man. Which sucks because I don't want to see a Thor knock off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Yester wrote: »
    Is the 1987 film worth a watch?

Saw it in the cinema, as a kid I knew I was witnessing a giant sized deuce unfold. Looks like it was made for 50 bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brevity

Alexander Skaarsgard would be a good He-Man

• Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

This film needs a great script and a serious fantasy/sci fi style. I'd love to see them play up the family dynamics with Skeletor being He Man's Uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

I quite liked the 1987 He Man.....I think it was the first film I ever saw in the cinema as a kid! But even accounting for nostalgia, it had a bunch of things going for it:

Frank Langella was brilliant as skeletor.
    Evel Lyn was super scary looking
    It had a shoot out in a music store
    The music was great

OK its easy to pick holes in it - Guildor was stupid, basically the whole thing was stupid but it was lots of fun to watch. If it was made today it would probably be a CGI mess fest, at least it wasn't that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

^Evil Lyn in the 1987 film was one of my first crushes sicko that I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The early film was basically the template for the 1st Thor Film , thought it was great as a kid , wanted to see less of Earth though and more eternia

Power of Grayskull The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, https//www.imdb.com/title/tt5338774/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah but its 2019...

By the power of greyskull.. I have the power!

By the power of PC culture.. I have no power!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

nix wrote: »
    Yeah but its 2019...

By the power of greyskull.. I have the power!

By the power of PC culture.. I have no power!
    He-Person and the Democratically Elected Leaders of the Universe. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Should be worth seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Dades wrote: »
    He-Person and the Democratically Elected Leaders of the Universe. :pac:

He?! HE??!!!

You all jest but She-Ra (2019) looks like a boy with long hair

she-ra-princess-of-power-netflix-1200x675.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sony have removed this from there release schedule from 2021 to TBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Part of me groans at the thought of it going back to developmental hell, but the other part of me is relieved. The absolute state of what they were allegedly going with here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Noah Centineo confirms it's still on:

filming begins this Summer:
    Sony’s Masters of the Universe Film to Begin Production This Summer
    https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1122794-sonys-masters-universe-begin-production-this-summer
    “For the Masters of the Universe, Centineo, in preparation to play He-Man, bulked up 30 pounds of muscle last year (eating 11 eggs for breakfast on the regular), only to then shed the weight because production pushed filming back to this summer.”

Advertisement