Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vivarium (2020)

• 23-01-2020 4:02pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Directed by Dubliner Lorcan Finnegan: a surreal looking thriller starring Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots; looks like some kind of fantastically macabre fever dream.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Puts me in mind of Richard Ayoade's The Double, another film Eisenberg stars in. He seems to like odd stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

This is the opening movie of the upcoming Dublin Film Festival.

Looks like a rare treat in a poor programme of films this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Interesting. I love the Poots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Looks like it could nearly be an episode of Black Mirror. I thought the trailer showed a bit too much but that's expected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agreed about the trailer; it showed just enough to get the premise and hook across, but went a few scenes too far into what I presume to be the really big plot gear-change :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Was thinking about it after and think it looks like they are in one of those snowglobe things (without the snow). Also that it reminds me of the Downsizing (Matt Damon) film which I've not seen yet.. only seen trailers for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another one going straight to digital in light of Corvid-19, this will apparently pop up on "iTunes / Apple TV, Amazon, Sky Store, Microsoft Store, Playstation, Virgin, Google Play, Rakuten, BT, Curzon Home Cinema and BFI Player."

According to https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0320/1124289-irish-sci-fi-thriller-vivarium-comes-to-homes-next-week/ anyway.

A movie about being trapped within the increasing surreality of suburbia feels very on the nose :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's already up on youtube to buy or rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watched it at the weekend, I enjoyed it really had a Black Mirror vibe. Poots and Eisenberg are good in their roles. This won't be for everyone but if you enjoy Black Mirror you'll enjoy this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Watch last night. Enjoyed it a lot as something very different.

Did not like the ending after watching it, but after sleeping on it and finding myself revisiting scenes I think it works.

And I still love Poots.

The car having a Kilkenny reg was weird! Was in shot in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

I liked the movie a lot. It's very Black Mirror. The opening scene was a bit heavy-handed in attempting to explain what the rest of the film would be about, but I really enjoyed it and didn't find the ending particularly disappointing or lackluster as some have said.

Great performances and really remains compelling the whole way through. The scenes where Imogen Poots
    asks the boy to imitate who had been speaking to that day, as well as the one where she falls between the sort of dimensional planes
    were terrific.

I would say anyone that's a fan of Black Mirror, Twilight Zone and similar productions would enjoy it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Dades wrote: »
    The car having a Kilkenny reg was weird! Was in shot in Ireland?

I heard Eisenberg/Poots on the Kermode & Mayo podcast and they referenced ghost estates in Ireland.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Personally found it lacking with the story. Cool concept but very average Black Mirror episode, if thats what we are comparing it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

yeah, pretty much agreed. I love Black Mirror myself, and it looks very similarly to it in terms of visuals, but it lacks the content. Very bland overall.

I love Black Mirror and found this movie very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

Given the setting in Ireland and the current housing crisis I'd say many would weigh up the pros and cons for one of those homes.

Fully Detached too ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This was absolutely terrible rubbish.

We watched it a few weeks back and for me it was one of those that looked ok in the trailer but really needed a good payoff for the ending and it failed miserably to deliver one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement