Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2020

Comments

Sharapova herself said it may be her last match there.

She's worth nearly $200 million so it's not money that's an issue as said

She was the highest paid female athlete for 11 straight years

Never really "came back" after the ban so it's most likely the last months of her tennis career.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

That is most likely it for Sharapova. I get why she continues to play, as it is a form of career and reputation rehabilitation. As stated above though, it is the ban that will be remembered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Nadal played some fine tennis today.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Kyrgios looking good. I know I have said this before but if he can keep his head together then he could go far in this tournament. I think he meets Nadal in either the 4th round or quarter final, if he is on form he could give Nadal a problem. Then in saying all that he could have meltdown in the next 5 minutes and lose this match. :)

He plays Simon in the next round. Could be a tricky match for NK as who knows what sort of humour he wakes up in. If it's a good humour and he takes it serious he should have no problems. If he wakes in a bad humour who knows what will happen.

mzungu wrote: »
    He plays Simon in the next round. Could be a tricky match for NK as who knows what sort of humour he wakes up in. If it's a good humour and he takes it serious he should have no problems. If he wakes in a bad humour who knows what will happen.

would love to see him go deep but he has expressed doubts himself if he has the capability to handle a 2 week tournament.

am I right in saying that he hasn't (for him) had a meltdown in a while - could be due one - hopefully not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

glasso wrote: »
    would love to see him go deep but he has expressed doubts himself if he has the capability to handle a 2 week tournament.

am I right in saying that he hasn't (for him) had a meltdown in a while - could be due one - hopefully not.

I think he will give his best to go far.

He is behaving because he is still on probation after the racket incident last year.

yes had seen the probation order which is a good idea/deterrent in his case but thought that he had got up to something just after it was imposed.

yes had seen the probation order which is a good idea/deterrent in his case but thought that he had got up to something just after it was imposed.

I do remember the bottle incident at the citi open. After that, he had 2 incidents with the Irish umpire but I don’t remember the chronology of the events.

I think his behaviour improved after those events. He is seeing a therapist...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Serena's grunting is so obnoxious and off putting. Up against a nobody there and and this shouting between and after points is ridiculous. It's not even a grunt it's screaming. A game against a decent opponent would be unwatchable.

Really hate everything about her game and personality.

elmolesto wrote: »
    I do remember the bottle incident at the citi open. After that, he had 2 incidents with the Irish umpire but I don’t remember the chronology of the events.

I think his behaviour improved after those events. He is seeing a therapist...

It's probably not in him, but I would like to see how he would do taking things seriously for a full year on the tour. I think his behaviour at times is both silly and petty, but there is no doubt that talent lurks behind the mega-sulks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Lads kyrgios is never changing

He blatantly dislikes the game - has no interest in practice, is spotted in pubs the night before big matches and fitness levels are extremely lacking.

It's a means to an end for him, but anyone expecting him to ever become a dominant force is going to be left very disappointed. He would say the same himself. He'll probably jack it in the next few years

He's well down the rankings, not even related to a tournament contender and yet it's only taken a few pages for him to be mentioned in an Irish chat thread on the tournament. Just goes to show the effect he has. Rightly or wrongly he attracts headlines for the sport, and I for one love an enigma and bad boy to shake things up!

jr86 wrote: »
    Lads kyrgios is never changing

He blatantly dislikes the game - has no interest in practice, is spotted in pubs the night before big matches and fitness levels are extremely lacking.

It's a means to an end for him, but anyone expecting him to ever become a dominant force is going to be left very disappointed. He would say the same himself. He'll probably jack it in the next few years

He's well down the rankings, not even related to a tournament contender and yet it's only taken a few pages for him to be mentioned in an Irish chat thread on the tournament. Just goes to show the effect he has. Rightly or wrongly he attracts headlines for the sport, and I for one love an enigma and bad boy to shake things up!

I am in no doubt. He lacks the mentality to ever make any kind of impact.

He will never be any kind of force, but I would not bet against him staying around the circuit living off his reputation and then a move onto exhibition tours after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I am in no doubt. He lacks the mentality to ever make any kind of impact.

He will never be any kind of force, but I would not bet against him staying around the circuit living off his reputation and then a move onto exhibition tours after that.

The thing is that he is exciting to watch. I hate saying that because he is an arse. He is also capable of causing an upset against big players as we have seen. I know if it was me I would hate to see him in my part of the draw.

Ostapenko all over the place in the first few games of this match against Bencic. She served 2 double faults at the start of the match. Seems to be getting it together now in the third game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Nadal played some fine tennis today.

Of course he did, he is the champion in waiting.

I'm gonna go out there and say he won't drop a set....

Of course he did, he is the champion in waiting.

I'm gonna go out there and say he won't drop a set....

I’d love to see him win but he really needs to up his game.
    He only won 70% points behind his first serve against Dellien and dropped serve twice. This guy shouldn’t have touch Nadal’s serve.

Today, he was way more effective behind his first serve than in his first round match. However he wasnt clinical enough when he had opportunities, in the first 2 sets he had 18 break points and converted only one. He made way too many unforced errors.

I wonder if the atp cup took too much out of him.

Federer on the other hand is up to a flying start, dropping only 13 games in 2 matches. His third best start at the Australian in his long career. He looked really sharp and he is moving like a gazelle around the court.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Bye Serena :cool:

Bye Serena :cool:

Yeah no harm for the women's game. Serena is 38 now and anytime I've seen her since her return she's looked unfit and ponderous out on court. It was an almighty travesty she made a Wimbledon final last year with the condition she was in, but luckily Halep absolutely hockeyed her

A legend of the game obviously but I don't think its a good look if a 38 year old way past her pomp is simply powering her way to slams.

Even leaving all that aside, her classless celebrations when she wins a run of the mill point against a no-hoper, her antics in all those infamous US open finals, yeah I won't be sorry if she never wins another slam, she's won more than enough anyway

elmolesto wrote: »
    Federer on the other hand is up to a flying start, dropping only 13 games in 2 matches. His third best start at the Australian in his long career. He looked really sharp and he is moving like a gazelle around the court.

Steady yet he's only 2 matches played

Lets see how he gets on today against a home player who he lost to at a slam before

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Guava Juice

Over the last number of years I think the Australian Open has become the best major of the four, it has the best atmosphere of the four majors, and the facilities are second to none.

• Advertisement

3 women's champions gone in one day. The women side is wide open now, anyone of the top players left can win it if they keep their nerve. Not sad to see Williams go out, can't stand the way she goes on on the court screaming and grunting all the time. The screeching when she wins a point for 15 all is unreal, it would be ok at important points but like 15 all or something like that is annoying. Think she loves the drama and focus being on her.

Good news is Gauff won again today beating Osaka.

Federer in trouble here 1 set down to Millman. He's can't seem to hit a groundstroke that will go over the net and his first serve has deserted him. A thoroughly poor performance so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

That press conference with Serena was a disgrace, no credit given to Wang.

https://youtu.be/MlJ7F-gg0T0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Over the last number of years I think the Australian Open has become the best major of the four, it has the best atmosphere of the four majors, and the facilities are second to none.
    Not for me. Agree that it has the best atmosphere (although USO is probably a close second), but I think the scheduling/timing of the event (being at the start of the calender year) just doesn't do it for me. And the time difference is an issue too, particularly in the early rounds. For me, I'll always associate the "core" of the tennis season with the Summer months, and the build up to the FO and Wimbledon make them special. Obviously, everyone has there own preference though

Wimbledon's the best. The French Open I associate with Nadal's dominance and lack of great clay court players for this gen so it's easily my least favourite.

Not for me. Agree that it has the best atmosphere (although USO is probably a close second), but I think the scheduling/timing of the event (being at the start of the calender year) just doesn't do it for me. And the time difference is an issue too, particularly in the early rounds. For me, I'll always associate the "core" of the tennis season with the Summer months, and the build up to the FO and Wimbledon make them special. Obviously, everyone has there own preference though

Yeah I think January is just way too early in the year for it

I always associate elite events with being well into the season in a given sport. I personally don't understand a major tournament taking place only a few weeks into a new season.

Would personally like them to be scheduled much more like the golf

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

That press conference with Serena was a disgrace, no credit given to Wang.

https://youtu.be/MlJ7F-gg0T0

It's Serena Williams. Not known for crediting others. 38 years old and around since 1999. That's not going to happen at this point.

Steady yet he's only 2 matches played

Lets see how he gets on today against a home player who he lost to at a slam before

Well at least i haven't been left with egg on my face so far anyway :pac:

Millman is always tricky for Fed. Add the night match element and home crowd atmosphere and it becomes even trickier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I always associate elite events with being well into the season in a given sport. I personally don't understand a major tournament taking place only a few weeks into a new season.

Swap Indian Wells (which for a time was vying to become a major in it's own right :eek:) with AO and the calender would be a lot better IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 22 Guava Juice

Each to their own but with Golf I think it would be better if the majors were more spaced out like tennis. I personally have no issue with a major early in the season.

Advertisement