Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Football League 2020

• 20-01-2020 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I think Donegal and Galway could be an outside bet for division 1 title. Kildare are a good bet for div 2 title with Roscommon. And I think Offaly could be a good bet for div 3 title.

Anyway I am going to talk about in detail is Meath. I think 99% of people on the forum are predicting Meath to be relegated. I believe Meath will stay in div 1 and a have bigger impact in the championship then last year. Here are the reasons.

I think Meath will be substantially stronger this year then last year. Simply because the return of 7 or 8 proven inter county players to the panel. For the first time since 2012 the best footballers in Meath are playing for Meath. That was the year Meath or any team in leinster got close to Dublin. Meath lost by 3 points and could have nicked a draw.

In 2013 and the next few years under Mick O Dowd , Meath dropped players , proven county players like Joe Sheridan , Brian Farrell , Cian Ward and Peadar Byrne who still had lots of years left in them and were still.some of the best footballers in Meath. This meant Meath were not playing some of the best players in the county. Then under McEntee Meath were losing 10 11 or 12 players every year. This is a problem for all county teams outside div 1. The only teams that keep their players are top div 1 teams. Derry were losing 15 players every season. Cork lost 16 players a year ago. Even this year Cavan and Roscommon have lost players this year. Teams outside div 1 lose 10 plus players every year. How many players have Meath lost this year, players not returned to the panel ? Zero. Every year under McEntee in div 2 Meath were losing 11 , 12 , 13 players every year like every team in div two three or four. Meath get promoted to div 1 , Meath lose zero players.

If anything Meath have gained players. Incredibly 7 or 8 players, proven , experienced inter county players have returned to Meath panel and all of them were unvailable last year with travelling , studying and working abroad , some of the reasons. For the first in 8 years , the best footballers in Meath are playing for Meath. This means

1 Meath will have a new goalkeeper this year eg Dominic Yorke
    2 Meath will have new midfield partner for Menton eg Brian Conlon and later on Ronan Jones
    3 Meath will have a new freetaker this year eg Shane Walsh
    4 Meath will have a new full forward this year eg Shane Walsh
    5 Meath will have new inside forward eg Donal lenihan
    ( Shane Walsh is a new player this year, he only came onto panel in July last year and started one game last year that was v Kerry in Aug)
    6 Meath will have 4 or 5 proven inter county players subs on the bench, they didnt have last year eg Joey Wallace , Eamon Wallace , Paddy Kennelly , Alan Forde ,and Oisin O Brien. (Oisin O Brien played underage with Galway. And has played for Galway in FBD in recent years. At 27 he is playing for O Mahoney and living in Navan. )
    7 Meath have 8 proven inter county players returning to the panel this year eg Donal lenihan , Eamon Wallace , Joey Wallace , Ronan Jones, Brian Conlon, Paddy Kennelly, Alan Forde.

Meaths main problem last year were midfield and full forward line. Both areas have new options this year.

1 Meath last year had a wing back at midfield eg S McEntee and when he was taken off in a game he was replaced by 20 year old corner back. Meath lacked big men and midfield options last year. Meath have 4 new big strong midfielders this year including Ronan Jones who is best midfielder in the county, who will return in March.

Meaths 4 new midfielders this year to partner Menton this year are Ronan Jones , Brian Conlon , Paddy Kennelly and Thomas Murtagh. All unvailible last year all big strong midfielders.

2 Meath had problems in the full forward line last year. Meath have 7 new inside forwards this year on the panel including the best inside full forward in Meath eg Donal lenihan and the best full forward in the county eg Shane Walsh.

7 new inside forwards r available to Meath this year that were not on the panel last year are
    Donal Lenihan, Eamon Wallace , Joey Wallace , Oisin O Brien, Shane Walsh, Jack O Connor and Jordan Morris.

So Meath have 4 new midfield option including best midfielder in the county they didnt have last year and 7 new inside forwards options including best forward in the county Donal lenihan. They didnr have those last year. That has to help the team.

Another area that is a boost for Meath is young talent coming through especially forward talent. These player at 18 or 19 or 20 are making an immdiate impact. That hasnt happenned since the 1990s in Meath. While Meath havent won an All Ireland underage title recentlu but there has been signs of progress. Meath have won last two under 16 leinster titles and have won 2 leinster minor titles. And when Meath defeated Dublin in under 20s, two weeks ago that was the 5th time in 5 years Meath have beaten Dublin at underage. Many of these players have never lost to Dublin at underage. The players coming through seem to have more confidence and taleng then. players Meath produced in the last decade and. at higher level.

One of the main reasons Meath got promoted last year and reached super 8 was the new young players.

1 Meath had 7 under 20 players who played last year.
    2 Meath had youngest forwards in the super 8s. 5 of the Meath forwards who played in super 8s were 18 or 19 or 20.
    3 When Meath played v louth in Bryne cup a few weeks ago four of the forwards were 19 years old.

There is some quality forwards coming thru.
    1 Shane Walsh at 18 is the best full forward in the county. In his first game ever to start for Meath v khe kerry full back line in super 8, he caused massive problems scoring 6 points , three from play.
    2 Jack O Connor 19. Was the top scorer in Meath senior club football last year and is still a teenager.
    3 Mathew Costello 18 voted the best young footballer in Meath was man of match two weeks ago v laois in Byrne cup in his first start. Walsh , O Connor and Costello will probaly start v Tyrone.
    4 Jordan Morris 19. A Very exciting forward. Reminds me everytime I see him of Ollie Murphy.
    Others
    James Conlon 20, Dara Campion 20, Ethan Devine 20 .
    Thats 7 players aged 20 or under ; all forwards will all get game time this year for Meath seniors. The last time seven under 21 players played for Meath was in the late 90s.

Another reason I am.optimiatic this year is McEntees 4th year in charge. It always takes years for a manager to build up a team from.doildrum especially a traditional county. And with Nally as coach means Meath have a div 1 management team.

Another reason is so many of the players who debuted in 2012 , 2013 and 2014 leinster final years are now peaking as footballers. Most sportspeople peak at 26 27. The average age of Tippearey team which won the hurling All Ireland last year was 27. The average age of Galway team that won the hurling All Ireland in 2017 was 27. And the average age of Brian Codys last 5 All Ireland hurling winning teams were 27.

So many of the Meath players are starting to peak eg Seamus Lavin 25 , Shane Gallagher 25 , Padraig Harnan 24 , Cillian Sullivan 25 , Barry Dardis 25 , James McEntee 25 , Shane McEntee 25 , Conor McGill 26 , Eamon Wallace 25 , Joey Wallace 24 , Bryan McMahon 27.
    Its a good age for these young players to go up to div 1.

(Also Meath have great div 1 pedigree. From 1930 to 2000 only Dublin and kerry were longer in div 1. Meath won 7 div 1 league titles which means only kerry , Dublin , Cork and Mayo have been more sucessful counties in the history of league football )

Three years ago on this forum I predicted Meath would do little in McEntees first two years , Meath would improve in 3rd year , which they did and Meath would make an impact in year 4 or 5 under McEntee. I am confident this will still happen. With 7 proven players retirning to the panel including some of the best footballars in the county , 7 talented under 20 footballers, McEntee in his fourth year , so many of the panel peaking as footballers and for tbe first since 2012 the best footballers are playing for Meath and I believe Meath are stronger then they were last year and I believe Meath will stay in div 1 and make a bigger impact championship last year.

Simply put the ten new players to the panel and no players leaving means Meath are stronger this year and will make a bigger impact this year then last. In that with ten new players its means the competition for match day panel when everyone is fit will be seriously competitive .

The one problem and area of concern is the injuries. A national paper wrote last week a whole page on Meath injury crisis. Meath have had 6 players recently who had surgery and when Meath beat loais in a very good performance recently Meath had 10 players injured. Now some are long terms other not eg Newman Lavin and Harnan are out for most of the league and Newman for all the league. They are loses as Newman was 4th top scorer in the All Ireland championshop last year , while Harnan still only 24 is Meaths best defender after Keoghan and McGill. And Lavin has turned into quality corner back who was excellent in super 8s. However I think we have cover for all 3. Its if we have more injuries atop of this like lenihan, Sullivan and McMahon who were injured v Loais. But it seems they should be in contention v laois. As long as this those not become a full scale injury crisis and Lenihan , Sullivan McMahon and Gallagher are available v Tyrone and Donegal; we sud be able to cope with the injuries. And there is also chance S McEntee and Devine might be available in the coming weeks. Campion who was brillant v kerry in super 8s is on crutchs, so I dont know about him.
    At the moment I think we can cope however if it becomes a full scale injury crisis it will scupper our hopes off staying in div 1. However if that is the case not all hope is lost. As most of the players like Newman will be back for the championship. Then come thw championship time Meath will be stronger then last year as the Meath panel looks substantially stronger with 10 new players fighting for match day panel places.

I believe Meath will stay in div 1 and make a bigger impact in the championship then last year. Meath are not going to reach an All Ireland final but be more competitive at super 8 level that can happen. People keep talking about performance v Dublin. But comparing Meath to Dublin is not a good fair
    comparsion. Dublin are the greatest team ever and who have hammered every team in the country , even the top teams in the country in the last few years. Look at Meaths performances v second best team in the country kerry , 3rd best team in the country Donegal and 4th or 5th best team in the country in the last 12 months and they are beter comparsions.

In 2018 only for point in 7th min of injury time and a free not given to Meath in extra time of extra time Meath were unlucky not to beat Tyrone. In 3 games v Donegal last year Donegal struggled for long times v Meath. Meath were the better team in Ballybofey in the league for most of the game and sud have won and up to 60 min in the championship Meath were ahead and looked like they could win v Donegal. And in the league final Meath blew away Donegal in first half leading by 9 points at one stage. V Kerry again Meath were ahead at 60 min. Yes Meath fell away in last ten minutes , but in the 3 games v Donegal and V Tyrone , Kerry and Mayo in last 12 months Meath were ahead in every single one of those games up to 60th min. Yes Meath fell badly behind in the last ten mins. But if Meath can improve , there is a chance. Yes Meath are at moral victories stage where they are doing well v top teams. But can Meath turn moral victories and being very competitive into actual victories after 70 plus mins.

I believe Meath can why? 7 or 8 proven inter county players , some of the best footballers in Meath returning to the panel ( lenihan , Jones , B Conlon) and young talented footballers like Shane Walsh , Dara Campion and Matthew Costello on the panel this year. Meath have a new goalie , new midfiedlder , new full forward , new free taker , new corner forward this year and 4 new options at midfield and 7 new options for the full forward line. Thats sud help Meath improve from last August to now. Simply put havin ten new players they did have last year who are some of the best footballers in Meath can only improve the depth of the Meath panel.

Everyone is predicting Meath will be relegated. Its the same as last year , no one predicted Meath would get promoted or reach super 8. No one could see Meath improving last year. Its the same this year. People canot seem Meath improving. The reason I believe Meath will make a bigger impact and will improve this year is because of these new players who in are contention for the team who were not last year eg Donal Lenihan, Ronan Jones, Eamon Wallace , Joey Wallace , Brian Conlon , Paddy kennelly , Shane Walsh , Jack O Conor , Oisin O Brien , Matthew Costello and Jordan Morris.

Some of these players r the best footballer in Meath. Thats my main point for the first time in years , since 2012 actually the best players in Meath are playing for Meath after McEntee losing 11 plus players every year. So with new talent coming through proven , inter county players returning and players peaking this all makes me believe Meath overall will have a better season this year then last year, as Meath panel is substantially stronger this year , especially when everyone is fit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Contd

1 Meath have not advanced and got to grip with modern football and tactics. But I think Andy McEntee / Colm Nally manager / coach partnershp is a more modern div 1 management team. McEntee has an excellent CV and Nally is one of the best coachs in leinster. I think we are improving and have improved especially since 2018 season on playing modern football

2 Meath have had problems at the back since Boylan retired. We have been shakey at the back for years. Last year we were strong at the back. And we have allot of quality defenders eg Keoghan and McGill.would get on every team in div 1 , leaving Dublin to one side. While Harnan, Lavin, Gallagher, Ronan Ryan are all good natural defenders. Meath have a good defence with good natural defenders. Lavin McGill and Gallagher were as good a full back line in last years championship. They are young and are improving at the back.

3 3 7 or 8 players returning to the panel who are proven county players will help eg Donal Lenihan , Ronan Jones, Brian Conlon , Joey Wallace , Eamon Wallace , Paddy Kennelly , Alan Forde will help the panel. While new exciting young talent like Shane Walsh , Jack O Connor , Matthew Costello , Jordan Morris , Thomas Murtagh along with last years new young talent eg James Conlon , Dara Campion and Devine all leads me to believe we will be stronger this year.

3 Its a good time for allot of our players to get promoted as they reach the peak years of 26 27 eg James McEntee 25 , Shane McEntee 25 , Cillian Sullivan 25 , Padraig Harnan , Seamus Lavin 25 , Shane Gallagher 25 , Byran McMahon 27 , Conor McGill. 26. All these player have lots of experience and many of them have improved dramaatically in the last 12 months. Lavin , Harnan , J McEntee ; Sullivan , Gallagher are all improving and can only still improve.

4 I think the problem areas of midfield and full forward line are much stronger now. Ronan Jones will return in March and for me he is best midfielder in the county. He hasnt played since 2017 in competitive game ( he was excellent v louth in the championship in 2017). Jones Was home at christmas and played v laois 2 weeks ago and was excellent. He is still only 23. Brian Conlon is one of the most atletic footballers in the county. Colm O Rourke was raving about Conlon a few years ago saying he is great prospect for Meath. Played his first game for Meath v Donegal in championship in 2017 at age 19 and he was excellent at midfield v Donegal. He was unavailable last year and for 2018 championship. He was excellent man of the match v Westmeath in Bryne cup a few weeks at midfield. He will be another option at centre field. He is still only 23
    Paddy Kennelly was last on the panel 2 years ago. When he was first choice midfielder and 3 or 4man of the match performance in a row for Meath v Down , louth and Westmeath at midfield. Again he is another option we didnt have last year. He is 25. While Thomas Murtagh was excellent in club championahip playee some Byrne cup action and impressed me. He is another big powerful midfield option we didnt have last year. He is only 21. For me Brian Menton / Ronan Jones midfield with. Brian Conlon, Paddy kennelly , Thomas Murtaght and Shane McEntee ( and even Ethan Devine also could be tried at midfield) means midfield is much improved then last year with options. We also have a new goalie this year who has good long kickout and has more options to kickout to this year eg Domiic Yorke.

4 I believe the full forwars lime is much improved with 7 new inside forwards on the panel
    1 Donal lenihan before he left was the best forward in Meath. He hasnt played for Meath in nearly 2 years. At 28 he is peaking as a player.
    2 Shane Walsh. Best full forward in the county ans only 18. He is a proper modern full forward target man. Somerhing we havent had since Geraghty retired in 2011. Walsh is strong powerful atletic good finisher and freetaker with good hands. He also has lots of pace. He came onto panel in July and played his first ever start for Meath in super 8s v kerry. He caused havoc for kerry full back line scoribg 6 points , 3 from play. He is a serious prospect and he was only 18 last year when he caused havoc v kerry
    3 Jack O Connor was top scoer in Meath club chanpionahip and he is only 19. He had a good Byrne cup and could start v Tyrone.
    4 Joey Wallace has lots of experence playijng v Dubs in leinster final.at 19. Last year he was top inside forward in Meath club football leading Ratoath to county final. He is very skilful and very fast. He hasnt played for Meath for nearly 2 years. He is back and still only 24.
    5 Oisin O Brien Played underage for Galway and played for Galway seniors at the start of last year. He is with Navan now and had great season with them. He scored in every game in Bryne cup as an impact sub. I can see him being used as impact sub in the league. He has got a great eye for goal. He is 27.
    6 Jordan Morris. Was excellent for under 20s in their victory v Dublin recently. He is on the senior panel.and played in Bryne cup. Only 19 but an exiciting talent , hes one of these new breed of exciting Meath forwarda who can win their own ball and at 19 are ready for inter county senior football eg Shane Walsh. Morris comes from the part of county in the north of small villages that produce quality Meath inside forwards like Brian Stafford , Ollie Murphy , Brian Farrell , Ray Magee and Mickey Newman. I think he can carry on this tradition. He also can win his own ball and is strong skilful footballer for 19. Another addition to the forward line.

So for me with 4 new midfielders and 6 or 7 new inside forwards it helps our iption.

Yes we are a county stuck in the past talking about the past. But I believe we are entering s new era in Meath football a more progressive era and stronger Meath. For me the post Sean Boylan era is over (2006 to 2018. )And 2020s is a new era.

We were always going to dip after Boylan left. When a sucessful manager leaves after 2 decades in charge that team will always dip. Look at Man Utd after Ferguson left look at Arsenal after Wenger left. We didnt help things when we had 4 managers in 6 years after Boylan left and we ignored underage for ten years. And of course just as we dipped out greatest rival Dublin had unprecendented sucess. The real issue that really set Meath back atop of all of this, was the fallout from 2010 leinster final. Both counties suffered pyschologically after that final. louth yo yoed up and down the division since. While Meath were stuck in div 2 since.

The first thing it did was it broke that Meath team 07 to 11 up way to early . That Meath team.had quality forwards and had huge potential. They reached 2 All Ireland semi finals in 3 and defeated and Dublin, Tyrone , Mayo and Galway in the championship in 3 years and lost to great kerry team by 4 points in semi final. They beat great Tyrone team at their peak in championship in 07 q final. The 2010 leinater final broke that team up as we had 3 managere in 3 years and O Brien who won a leinster and got Meath to All Ireland semi final in 2 years was let go. Then O Dowd came in and dropped senior players. That team 07 to 11 had huge potential but 2010 leinster final broke it up.

But it was the pyschological damage after 2010 leinstet final that negatively impacted Meath. I feel it badly effected the morale of players and supporters. It was the last time Meath were up at top football table and it effected our pride and morale. We were called bads sportsmen and all that stuff We are very proud county. Pride are selves on maniless and a never say die spirit. 2010 it effecfed our pride and tradition. It wsnt something we could celebrate and I felt morale of supporters after 2010 dipped. Then defeats to Dublin in 2014 and 2015 v Westmeath and allot of supporters walked away from the team. Only in the last 12 months have we seen a slow but steady return of supporters.

It effected our players.I felt the players that came thru in last ten years lacked the old Meath swagger and confidence especially forwards like O Rourke Geraghty Flynn Murphy had. We always had better forwards then Dublin. We had better quality forwards then Dublin in 40s 50s and 60s. Even in the 70s our forwards were better then Dublin eg Mattie Kerrigan , Ken Rennicks and Colm O Rourke. And we had much better forwards then Dublin in 80s and 90s and even in 00s we had better forwards then Dublin. Thats was one of the reasons we were so sucessful v Dublin and had periods of dominance over Dublin that are unprecedented in GAA history.

We always seemed to have better forwards then Dublin. The same way kerry have better forwards to Cork and traditionally Galway have better forwards to Mayo. IIts only in this decade that Dublin had much superior forwards. Meath lacked quality forwards coming thru and the players lacked confidence and swaqgger of Meath players of old. I felt allot of players our lacked confidence. I felt the 2010 leinster and the fallout effected the morale and the pride and spirit of Meath footballers and supporters. Its hard to explain. But 2010 did impact negatively on the county.

However something has changed since beginning last year. Young talented Meath players are coming through in groups and making an immdiate impact , we havent seen this in years. But what I see with these players is the old swagger and confidence we havent seen from Meath players and especially forwards in years. When was the last time an 18 year old for Meath played kerry second best teams in country in the championship and 18 year caused havoc v the kerry full back line. Look at Campion also was excellent v kerry scoring a great goal. Campion was excellent v Donegal.in Ballybofey in league. Or James Conlon scoring 8 points in leinster championship before the final.at 19 and only started one game. There is a swagger and confidence about these young footballers. Many of them have never lost to Dublin at underage
    When we defeated Dublin in under 20 league 2 weeks ago that was 5th time we have beaten Dublin at underage in 5vyears . Dublin were wiping the floor at underage v Meath 5 or 6 years ago. The gap has closed.

And for them young Meath forwards and players .2010 is just you tube moment. They cannot really remeber it . They were 8 or 9 years old , so they cannot understand or really have felt the raw emotions, the atmosphere, the fallout of 2010 leinster final. As the years go on playerw coming through 2010 leinser final.fades into history. It did effect us very negatively pyshcologivally as a county. But I feel that era post Boylan is over.

Just another point regards Meath atitude tradition is a negative issue. When we are weak it is a negative. We think we are better then certain counties. We are not. But whe. we strong it is an adavatages because we have no inferior complex or not in awe of the top teams. Our records v the top teams traditiionallly is second to none.

I am confident Meath will be much stronger in the 2020s. Meath have got their act together at underage. There is progress here. And I think this will continue and Meath kildare louth and Wicklow I expect to have a good decade at underage with the east leinaster project. For the first time in Meath football history there is work at underage which is agood as amywhere in the country. Under Seamus kenny Meath have implemented a plan that is carbon copy of what Dublin did in last ten years. Kenny says it will take 5 years before u see it impact Meath senior. Meath kildare louth and Wicklow have got more coachs and extra finance to deal.with growing population.

Dublin have had 60 plus full time coachs in last tem years. Meath and kildare had 3. In last few months Meath have 22 and so have kildare. Its not as big as Dublin but its 7 times more the full time coachs Meath used to have. That has to be massive plus on the groune. There is a plan on the ground and it is real.sign of development that Meath means business. The rebuilding of Pairc Tailteam is also a sign Meath are slowly but surely getting its act togetgher. Dublins sucess has forced counties like Meath and kildare to get thier act togeher.

Also this population explosion could be a benefit to Meath and kildare. Meath up to 2000 had a mainly rural average population. Just less then 100000 . When Meath beat Mayo in 1996 Mayo had a bigger population. Meath population has doubled to 200000 since 2000. Yes this has been negative so far as Meath footballs traditions have been diluted. However going forward it could be. a huge benefit. The south east of the county was once not strong football area and produced very few county player. From. Enfield Dunboyne Dunshauglin up to Bettystown and including Rataoth and Ashbourne. Especially rataoth and Ashblurne did not produce county players. Since 2000 Dunshaughlin , Dunboyne, Blackhall gaels and Ratoath have won their first senior club titles. Bettystown , Enfield and Ashbourne clubs will
    soon follow. It now means there is no area in the county were players dont come from. North south west and now south east is a new strong football area in the county. We need to keep football alive in football heartlands but if we can tap into this new population explosion in the south east well then Meaths best days could be ahead of us.

So many things that are happening in Meath hapnenned in Dublin. Dublin got extra coachs and finances . So have Meath. Meaths is at a much smaller scale then Dublin. But it marks a substantial plus to the development of Meath football. Also Dublins sucess was built on underage. Meath are showing of progress at underage and I think that will continue. Also Dublins sucess was built on gaa popularity growing in south side suburbs since 2000 an area that was once football wasteland wg Kilmacud Crokes , Ballyboden , Cuala. Could growth in football popularitu in Meath new suburbs follow Dublins path?. Could Rataoth or Ashbournw become Ballyboden of Meath football?..Meath captain is an Ashbourne man Mentom and the iconic number 3 Meath jersey is a Rataoth man McGill . Rataoth are the county champions. This was unthinkable 15 or 20 years. Whoever taps into populatuon growth in their county of Meath kildare Louth or Wicklow could potentially have sucess even unprecendented sucess. The best days of Meath football could be ahead of us.

If you said in 2009 that within ten years Dublin would win a five in a row or Donegal would win Sam in 3 years time or if you said in 2002 that Tyrone would 3 All Irelands in next 5 years or if you said in 1990 that Donegal Derry and Down would win the next four All Irelands on each occassion you would have been laughed and your sanity questioned. Evety decade throws up surprises. Things happen that no one expected
    .Maybe Down or Derry or Armagh or laois will
    win Sam by 2030. Might sound impossible now but stranger thinga have happened. Football is not static counties do not go in straght lines counties do not have he same level all the time. Counties go up and down . I believe Meath is entering an upward curve.

Yes there will be ups and downs. But I belivee overall Meath will have a better 2020s then the last decade. I dont know what Meath will.actually achieve. But people should never underestimate the passion , the tradition , the spirit , the love people in Meath have for Meath gaelic football teams. Amd watching our greatest rival have unprecendented sucess will just another reason to spur Meath on. Domt underestimate the unreal.the unnatural passion for the green and gold in Meath. Meath is a great football county. It still is. Its had a bad period. But everytime we were dowm before we rose up and were. sucessful. Maybe just maybe the best days of Meath football are ahead of us. Stranger things have happened before in the gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jayzus !

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Jayzus !

A bit to long , I suspose, thats what happenned when you havent played div 1 football in 13 years. I was waiting to write that for 13 years.

No seriously. Fair play !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

I will read that when i have an hour to spare :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭LilNiall

Should the title on this topic be changed to I heart Meath?

Only kidding...looking forward to the trip to Navan this year. It's one of the things I prefer about the league to the Championship-the different towns & stadiums to be visited.

Cant really see Donegal, or indeed any Ulster team making the final. 2 from Dublin, Kerry and Mayo for me.

A wee bit more worried now . Just heard Meath could be without 9 first team starters on Sunday. Newman, Lavin , Harnan , S McEntee and Devine are definatly out.
    But Cillian Sullivan is injured and is doubt for Sunday. Bryan McMahon is injured and is doubt for Sunday . And Shane Gallagher is injured and a doubt for Sunday. And there is also rumours that Donal Lenihan could be a doubt.
    That would Meath would be without three of their first choice defenders , the whole half forward line and two best inside forwards and Mentons midfield partner last year. 9 first team.starters from last year possibly missing for any team is a worry. I think 6 players having a surgery is indication that playerw need to peak twice in the season means they are training full on all season long and possibly leading to surgery. We will have a better indication on Sunday at 2.00 who is available for Meath. Meath beat Cavan yesterday behind closed doors in a challenge game no information on the team that played for Meath. We have to wait til 2.00 on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

@sonny if Meath aren't to be relegated which two do you fancy to fall through the division 1 trap door?

Hard to know how serious Dublin will take the league, best time to play them is obviously in the early rounds when they are basically in pre-season mode.

Mayo have a tougher set of fixtures and will do well to reach the final. Neighbours Galway could do as they did in 2018 and reach the final again and so long as its not Dublin in the final they are capable of winning it. Kerry of course will be there or thereabouts also.

Division 2 is looking like Armagh and Kildare for promotion. Cavan and Roscommon due to injuries and player opt outs will more than likely miss out on promotion. (I would fancy both for a quick return to division 1 if their panels weren't made much weaker this year)

Who gets relegated from Division 2 and promoted from division 3 will be the most interesting thing about the league this spring as it will be some scrap to avoid that Tommy Murphy cup this summer

@sonny if Meath aren't to be relegated which two do you fancy to fall through the division 1 trap door?

Hard to know how serious Dublin will take the league, best time to play them is obviously in the early rounds when they are basically in pre-season mode.

Mayo have a tougher set of fixtures and will do well to reach the final. Neighbours Galway could do as they did in 2018 and reach the final again and so long as its not Dublin in the final they are capable of winning it. Kerry of course will be there or thereabouts also.

Division 2 is looking like Armagh and Kildare for promotion. Cavan and Roscommon due to injuries and player opt outs will more than likely miss out on promotion. (I would fancy both for a quick return to division 1 if their panels weren't made much weaker this year)

Who gets relegated from Division 2 and promoted from division 3 will be the most interesting thing about the league this spring as it will be some scrap to avoid that Tommy Murphy cup this summer

I dont know who will get relegated if Meath dont get relegated. Its a very tough division. And can be unpredictable. We might have a surprise winner thats why I am going for Galway or Donegal. We might have a surprise team relegated. But I dont know. Really dont. The longest team in div 1 is Dublin or kerry its Mayo. Mayo have been in div 1 unbroken since the mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Neighbours Galway were 35 minutes away from the final last year.

They were 5 (I think) up against Tyrone at half time in the final game but managed to lose by 7 (I think) to allow Mayo reach the final instead of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

They were 5 (I think) up against Tyrone at half time in the final game but managed to lose by 7 (I think) to allow Mayo reach the final instead of them.

Tyrone was a big helping hand towards Mayo's league success, that comeback win v Galway and knocking Dublin out by beating them in Croke Park.

Galways record in div 1 since they went up is excellent. Winning league title for this Galway would be great boost. From what Joyce is saying hes wants to win the league. Take any young team kerry , Donegal or Mayo and also Tyrone winning a national league div 1 would be important. To win a national title. It would be a good foundation to try and take Dublin on. The league can be downplayed but I would never downgrade the importance of winning div 1 league title . You find most All Ireland winners have won div 1 league title also. Look at all the league titles this current Dublin won. Its an important part of develop for a team.

90% of the teams that have won the All Ireland in last 80 years won national league div 1 title.

And in the last 80 years from 1940 to 2020 Twenty four yes 24 teams won national league div 1 title and then that team won All Ireland title afterwards. Sometimes in the same year. Others took 2 or 3 years. But so many teams in the past used national league div 1 title as a lauching pad for Sam Maguire.

League is the only national competition after All Ireland championship. Win the league and you greatly improve your chances to win Sam Maguire. Donegal kerry Tyrone Mayo and Galway should be pushing hard to win the league. The confidence especially for a young team is unreal. Say Donegal or Tyrone or Galway win the league it will greatly help their chances to win Sam Maguire.

Here is the list below of all the teams that have won league div 1 titles and All Irelands from 1940 to 2019. 24 times a county won league div 1 they won the All Ireland not long after.

1. Dubljn won div 1 league titles in 2013 2014 2015 2016 2018 . Dublin won the All Ireland in 2013 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019

2 kerry won league div 1 title in 2017. kerry won All Ireland in 2014.

3 Cork won div 1 league title in 2010 , 2011 , 2012 . Cork won the All Ireland in 2010.

4 kerry won league div 1 in 2004. kerry won rhe All Ireland in 2004. Kerry won the div 1 league in 2006 . kerry won the All Ireland in 2006. Kerry won the div 1 league in 2009. Kerry won the All Ireland in 2009.

5 Tyrone won their first div 1 league title in 2002 and 2003. Tyrone won first All Ireland in 2003

6 Armgh won their first div 1 league in 2005. Armagh won their first All Ireland in 2002.

7 Meath won div 1 league title in 1994. Meath won the All Ireland in 1996

8 kerry won div 1 keague title in 1997. Kerry won All Ireland in 97

8 Derry won the div 1 league title in 1991. Derry won All Ireland in 1993. Derry also won 3 league titles in 90s.

9 Dublin won div 1 league title in 1991 and 1992. Dublin won All Ireland in 1995

10 Cork won the league div 1 title in 1989. Cork won All Ireland title in 1989.

11 Meath won div 1 league titles in 1988 1990. Meath won All Ireland in 1987 1988

12 kerry won div 1 leagure in 1981 and 1982. Kerry won All Ireland 1984 1985 1986

13 Kerry won div 1 league in 1974. Kerry won All Ireland in 1975.

14 Dublin won league div 1 in 1976 and 1978. Dublin won the All Ireland in 1976 1977.

15 Down won div 1 league in 1960 and 1961. Down won the All Ireland in 1960 and 1961. Down won div 1 league in 1968 . Down won All Ireland in 1968.

16 Galway won league div 1 title in 1965. Galway won All Ireland 1964 1965 1966.

17 kerry won div 1 league title in 1969 , 1971, 1972. Kerry won All Ireland in 1969 1970.

18 kerry won div 1 league in 1959. kerry won All Ireland in 1959.

19 kerry won div 1 league in 1961. Kerry won All Ireland in 1962.

20 kerry won league div 1 in 1955. kerry won All Ireland in 1955.

21 Galway won league div 1 in 1956. Galway won the All Ireland in 1956.

22 Dublin won div 1 league in 1957. Dublin won the All Ireland in 1958.

23 Meath won div 1 league in 1951. Meath won All Ireland in 1954.

24 Meath won div 1 league in 1946. Meath won All Ireland in 1949.

25 Cavan won the div 1 league in 1948. Cavan won the All Ireland in 1948.

26 Mayo won the div 1 league in 1949. Mayo won All Ireland in 1950 1951.

In conclusion if your an upcoming team who has yet to win an All Ireland if you win the league it greatly helps your chances. However its not hundred per cent gurateed

Donegal won their first div league title in 2007 , Offaly won their first div 1 league title in 1998 , Monghan won their first div 1 league title in 1985 , laois won their first div 1 leagur title in 1986 , Roscomon won their first div 1 league title in 1979 and longford in 1966. None of these counties won All Irelands. But it was their first and only league title. Of the 6 countites , 4 them had great sucess at provicial level and the league win was part of a great era for those counties.

So overall win the league and it will help your chances lifting Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Donegal are more likely to be relegated than win Division 1.

Beating Meath 3 times last year doesn't count for much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Going to be an interesting league this year

I fancy a Kerry Galway final I think. I think Dessie farrell will be more looking to the future for this campaign and trying to build depth and to discover some of the next generation of marquee players to take over the baton.

The likes of Meath will be very sticky opposition for anyone and I could see them claiming a scalp or two. Monaghan and Donegal will be very focused you'd think - particularly Monaghan who will be going all out to stay in division 1

I think its well and truly approaching the end of an era for this Mayo side and their scheduling of fixtures is brutal.

Over the past few years Tyrone have tended to start slowly and grow into the league but their issue these days is beating the big guns in championship and I think MH will want to claim a few confidence boosting early season wins.

So Kerry to shade Galway in the final and two of Mayo, Monaghan and Meath to drop I think. I think Monaghan might just have the extra hunger over Mayo and quality over Meath to survive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Meath will be well up for league so will take every match seriously they will want to stay up and build on it .They are coming from a low base by their standards so improvement can be expected un less the players are just not around at the moment .Certainly no surprise to me if they win a couple of games and stay up ok .I think dubs will just ease their way if they can but two difficult matches to start off with so who knows .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Our injury situation doesn't inspire confidence. It would be a monumental achievement if we were to stay up. We haven't been lucky with the way the fixtures have fallen. If we had Kerry and Dublin early and at home, I may have fancied our chances against them but given we have them away in weeks 4 and 6, we can safely write those games off. If we've played 3 games and we're still without a point, I'd say we're gone.

Division 3 I think will be the most interesting of all divisions. I'd expect Leitrim to finish bottom (though would be glad to be proven wrong on that), but apart from them you could make a decent argument for any of the remaining teams to be promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Monaghan getting relegated is the closest I'd come to putting money on something in Division 1. If Roscommon hadn't let themselves be codded by Morgans playacting then they'd have went last last year. I don't see many signs to suggest that they've improved over last year. A few lads have retired and I think that McEnany is a slight downgrade in the managerial department as well. The mark will suit McManus but I'm not sure that'll keep them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

I think Meath and Monaghan will drop from division 1. Armagh and Roscommon will go up to Division one.

Cavan will struggle to stay in div 2.

Kerry gonna bate us and win the league because of the hurt and hunger?

Are the Examiner journos going to the Bomber Liston School of Journalism now?

LOL...you couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Can't even get some simple facts right, Galway apparently 5 years consecutively in Division 1 also...

For what its worth i'd be amazed to see Galway finish as far down as 4th. Really think they'll be targeting this campaign and they're already integrating some very exciting players into the squad. Basically a gimme on Sunday to get them up and running also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

If I was betting, which I don't, I'd go for a Galway Kerry final. In terms of relegation, any two of Mayo, Monaghan, Donegal and Meath could go down.

From a Mayo point of view, the fixtures haven't fallen in an ideal way, so we could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »
    Can't even get some simple facts right, Galway apparently 5 years consecutively in Division 1 also...

For what its worth i'd be amazed to see Galway finish as far down as 4th. Really think they'll be targeting this campaign and they're already integrating some very exciting players into the squad. Basically a gimme on Sunday to get them up and running also

Hope pre-throw-in optimism about Galway is correct. However, they are still largely reliant on a core of established players who PJ has inherited from the previous regime. If they are to make progress I feel it will be due to a different, more expansive tactical approach (and early signs are encouraging) rather than new blood.

While I agree with you that intangibles like "hurt" and "hunger" are just intangibles I do think that Kerry will want to win the league this year.

They lost two national finals last season, they will want to get the winning started pretty soon, so I think they will be fielding a team closer to their championship 15 than Dublin or Mayo will be doing.

MfMan wrote: »
    Hope pre-throw-in optimism about Galway is correct. However, they are still largely reliant on a core of established players who PJ has inherited from the previous regime. If they are to make progress I feel it will be due to a different, more expansive tactical approach (and early signs are encouraging) rather than new blood.

That's a general consensus I think
    Walsh was holding these players back, Joyce will set them free

• Registered Users Posts: 17,297 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Things can change quickly after a win or a loss. If Galway lose to Monaghan on Sunday their next two games are away to Kerry and Donegal. They'll really want those 2 points in the back pocket early or they could be looking at 3 losses to start the league and a relegation battle. Win on Sunday and they can have a cut at the two away games and see if they can pick anything up in them.

While I agree with you that intangibles like "hurt" and "hunger" are just intangibles I do think that Kerry will want to win the league this year.

They lost two national finals last season, they will want to get the winning started pretty soon, so I think they will be fielding a team closer to their championship 15 than Dublin or Mayo will be doing.

Kerry couldn't give 2 shiney shytes about winning the league - not in the grand scheme of things. They have made it to 3 of the last 4 league finals, winning 1 of them. Yet their improved Spring form hasn't gotten them any nearer to beating us in August/September, or winning Sam, which is all they really care about.

No one in Kerry remembers or even cares that they won the league in 2017, or that they beat us in the final. They didn't win Sam in September & that's all that really matters. Their success in 2020 will be determined & measured by what happens in the All Ireland series, not some meaningless game on a freezing cold night in January. All the blathering about hurt and hunger and drive and 'wanting' to do this, or 'wanting' to do that won't change that imo.

Kerry couldn't give 2 shiney shytes about winning the league - not in the grand scheme of things. They have made it to 3 of the last 4 league finals, winning 1 of them. Yet their improved Spring form hasn't gotten them any nearer to beating us in August/September, or winning Sam, which is all they really care about.

No one in Kerry remembers or even cares that they won the league in 2017, or that they beat us in the final. They didn't win Sam in September & that's all that really matters. Their success in 2020 will be determined & measured by what happens in the All Ireland series, not some meaningless game on a freezing cold night in January. All the blathering about hurt and hunger and drive and 'wanting' to do this, or 'wanting' to do that won't change that imo.

Did you see the Kerry team ?

They certainly do give a shiney shyte about it based on that

Meath Team Annonuced
    1 Colgan
    2 Clarke
    3McGill
    4 Toner
    5 J McEntee
    6 Ryan
    7 Keoghan
    8 Menton
    9 B Conlon
    10 Brennan
    11 McMahon
    12 E Wallace
    13 Sullivan
    14 Reilly
    15 Walsh

Gallagher must be injured. It looks like Meath have 7 injuries, all pretty much first team starters. So we are injured these players S Mcentee Lavin, Devine, Gallagher, Harnan, Lenihan, Newman. That above team that will start v Tyrone has 9 changes to the Meath team that played v Donegal in the super 8s last July. Meaths full back line which was really good last year eg lavin, McGill Gallagher. Meath have two debutants in the full back line eg Clarke Toner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Did you see the Kerry team ?

They certainly do give a shiney shyte about it based on that

Strong Dublin team named for tonight.

Some serious shadow boxing before the later stages in the summer.

Neither party appears willing to yield an inch.:)

Advertisement