Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair Dublin to Marrakesh

• 21-01-2020 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭

What planes do they use? What's the ICE system like??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Do you mean IFE? All Ryanair aircraft are Boeing 737-800s, so no IFE of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I think ICE is what Emirates call their ife system.

The ICE system on ryanair is whatever is on your phone/iPad etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Meant IFE.
    Do they have WiFi atleast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Meant IFE.
    Do they have WiFi atleast

No, we’re talking Ryanair, here!
    Can we presume that you have yet to experience, Ireland’s Leading Budget Airline?

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    No, we’re talking Ryanair, here!
    Can we presume that you have yet to experience, Ireland’s Leading Budget Airline?

I've flown to the UK with them. But 4.5 hours I'd expect something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Is it that long? I've done it before and it didn't feel like a noticeably long flight.

You're getting flown to Africa for next to nothing. Bring a book or download a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I’m sorry, but you have given me the best laugh of the week with, “I’d expect something”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You are buying a flight from A to B. If you can't bear 4.5 whole hours without being detached from your phone I worry for your safety and cop on abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bless...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

It’s actually only a 3.5 hour flight. Bear in mind that Morocco is one hour ahead during the Winter. Just download some Netflix shows or other entertainment onto your phone and it’ll fly by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Lifelike wrote: »
    It’s actually only a 3.5 hour flight. Bear in mind that Morocco is one hour ahead during the Winter. Just download some Netflix shows or other entertainment onto your phone and it’ll fly by.

Maybe our collective attention spans are now to short to be able to download?

What was I saying again?

Sorry for piss taking OP - but you are going to another country, in another continent and its only going to take you 3.5 hours!
    Relax, take a book (maybe even a travel book!) or DL something - what exactly would you expect from a low cost airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

If you can't bear 4.5 whole hours without being detached from your phone I worry for your safety and cop on abroad

I get very tired of this sort of comment TBH.

If you are content without the use of your device and/or connectivity for several hours, then I'm happy for you. It's a shame that you feel the need to judge others who feel differently.

We live in a connected world. I use the WiFi on a large percentage of the flights that I take to get work done. Last year I spent almost three hundred hours in aircraft; that's an awful lot of time that can be used productively.

Just my €0.02.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Noxegon wrote: »
    I get very tired of this sort of comment TBH.

If you are content without the use of your device and/or connectivity for several hours, then I'm happy for you. It's a shame that you feel the need to judge others who feel differently.

We live in a connected world. I use the WiFi on a large percentage of the flights that I take to get work done. Last year I spent almost three hundred hours in aircraft; that's an awful lot of time that can be used productively.

Just my €0.02.

Then don't fly with an airline that doesn't provide it, its not hard to find out what each airline provides on their planes.

I hope you get paid for being productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Has anyone twigged the OP's username?

Next question will be is the bird he is flying on, alive or dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Ryanair operate over 350 Boeing 737-800 aircraft (And 1 x 737-700) all across Europe and Northern Africa, and now pushing East the former USSR.

Ryanair's extremely successful operating model means that all aircraft operate out and back from their base everyday, there is no overnight lodging jobs. Their aircraft can work to Manchester and Birmingham from Dublin in the morning and then down with you to Marrakesh in the afternoon. This flexibility brings huge cost savings.

The flight to Marrakesh is fairly snappy - probably 3 hr 15 in the air (it was 3 hr 12 when i did RAK to DUB). No entertainment but your own, but hardly a long flight and for buttons, so 99% don't mind, bring a book, download something, chat to someone or have a little rest. I work on my emails offline when flying, reply away and then when I'm back on internet they zip off to the recipient.

Enjoy your flight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Has anyone twigged the OP's username?

Next question will be is the bird he is flying on, alive or dead

African or European?

Del2005 wrote: »
    I hope you get paid for being productive.

I do :)

For clarity I’m not the original poster, and I know what I get with Ryanair.

I’m just making the point that it’s a bit harsh to judge people for wanting connectivity on board. When I retire I probably will bring a book instead of a laptop when I travel — until then, please cut me some slack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

bikeman1 wrote: »

Ryanair's extremely successful operating model means that all aircraft operate out and back from their base everyday, there is no overnight lodging jobs. Their aircraft can work to Manchester and Birmingham from Dublin in the morning and then down with you to Marrakesh in the afternoon. This flexibility brings huge cost savings.

Literally every airline does this, hardly groundbreaking

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

apologies - wrong topic, please delete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

1123heavy wrote:
    Literally every airline does this, hardly groundbreaking

Not true, plenty of big airlines have jobs that see them lodging on short haul routes:

Aer Lingus
    British Airways
    KLM
    Air France
    Lufthansa
    TAP
    LOT
    American
    Delta
    Frontier
    Etc. Etc.

Ryanair crews "always" get home (weather dependent of course). Of course there are other low cost carriers like Easy Jet who operate the same model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,777 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Presuming Ryanair have 6 crew per aircraft ( I’m open to correction )....

Expenses wise to overnight at a city of moderate expense could be...

Rooms : 80x6 - 480 euros
    Dinner : 30x6 - 180 euros

€ 660 per night.... if they had a small percentage and crews of Aircraft say overnighting, maybe 10 crews... that 6660 in expenses per night per year..Multiply by 364?? € 2,424240

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I do :)

For clarity I’m not the original poster, and I know what I get with Ryanair.

I’m just making the point that it’s a bit harsh to judge people for wanting connectivity on board. When I retire I probably will bring a book instead of a laptop when I travel — until then, please cut me some slack :)

Even if there was connectivity, Whatsapp and Boards.ie wouldn't be enough, this class of poster would want enough to provide 4K streaming, as if providing several Gb/sec is necessarily a priority for an economy airline.

Even if there was connectivity, Whatsapp and Boards.ie wouldn't be enough, this class of poster would want enough to provide 4K streaming, as if providing several Gb/sec is necessarily a priority for an economy airline.

You know nothing of my "class",. Why so obnoxious?

Boards/Facebook would do me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Boards/Facebook would do me

Don't fly Ryanair then. Or any European low cost operator. How anyone who flys even semi regularly could think that they would have IFE or WiFi is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Not true, plenty of big airlines have jobs that see them lodging on short haul routes:

Aer Lingus
    British Airways
    KLM
    Air France
    Lufthansa
    TAP
    LOT
    American
    Delta
    Frontier
    Etc. Etc.

Ryanair crews "always" get home (weather dependent of course). Of course there are other low cost carriers like Easy Jet who operate the same model.

I was talking more about the "Their aircraft can work to Manchester and Birmingham from Dublin in the morning and then down with you to Marrakesh in the afternoon. This flexibility brings huge cost savings." part. Nearly airline use their fleet in this manner to gain maximum fleet utilisation, it is not Ryanair specific at all.

Presuming Ryanair have 6 crew per aircraft ( I’m open to correction )....

Expenses wise to overnight at a city of moderate expense could be...

Rooms : 80x6 - 480 euros
    Dinner : 30x6 - 180 euros

€ 660 per night.... if they had a small percentage and crews of Aircraft say overnighting, maybe 10 crews... that 6660 in expenses per night per year..Multiply by 364?? € 2,424240

Bringing an aircraft back to the assigned base that day and not having to pay for crew hotels isn't the exactly the reason for large profits either and isn't why Ryanair do it. They are a point to point carrier so it simply doesn't suit them to do so and it has no regular requirement in the operation.

An airline like BA operating the hub and spoke model don't 'lose' money by paying for crew hotels and allowances, they make a whole lot more in the revenue from passengers who take the 7am flight from Dublin to London then connecting to Delhi for example.

My point is it's not a case of "ryanair have a profitable operation because they don't pay crew hotels every night". If it had a business case (like with BA), they absolutely would, those doing it are profiting big time from it due to the feed those early inbounds to the hub provide. 660EU/night for a crew? That will be covered by 1 passenger on the morning flight to LHR then connecting to Beijing, to use that as an example. There's much larger sums of money changing hands in the bigger picture, the crew hotel cost would be deemed totally irrelevant!

Don't fly Ryanair then. Or any European low cost operator. How anyone who flys even semi regularly could think that they would have IFE or WiFi is beyond me.

In all seriousness it’s surprising to me that WiFi isn’t more common on short haul flights in Europe. It’s commonplace in the US and I’ve seen it also in Japan. Maybe FR decided it wasn’t worth rolling the dice after their on board mobile service didn’t work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

In all seriousness it’s surprising to me that WiFi isn’t more common on short haul flights in Europe. It’s commonplace in the US and I’ve seen it also in Japan. Maybe FR decided it wasn’t worth rolling the dice after their on board mobile service didn’t work out?

Pretty sure they calculated it to cost 2-3% extra fuel burn and with so many of their sectors being quite short they didn't think they'd get the return on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

With Ryanair spending nearly €2.5 Billion euro on fuel in the last financial year, a fuel drag penalty of 2% would add a whopping €50 million euro to their operating costs. Not something a company so cost focused could stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

I've used Wi-Fi on Lufthansa and SAS European flights. With SAS it's only €4.90 for the whole flight and there's no data limit. I found the speeds perfectly fine for internet browsing, emails, texting. They also have USB ports that are actually fast unlike many I have used where your phone only goes up 10% in an hour!

With Lufthansa there's no data limit on short haul flights also. The standard package is €7 and I found it good as well. They have a streaming option for €12. They don't have Wi-Fi on all their short haul flight, but I believe all A319s and A321s have it, as well as around half of A320s.

It's not important for short flights but for flights of even two hours plus, it would certainly encourage me to fly with airlines like LH and SAS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm sure they've done the numbers but on the face of it FR not fitting the aircraft with wifi seems like a huge lost opportunity for ancillary revenue.

Advertisement