Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red light jumping

• 17-01-2020 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

What’s the problem with people not obeying traffic lights in Ireland? Seen about 5 people going through a red light this morning alone. Is there any way of getting caught other than a Garda catching you, which is a slim chance they will.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

people do it because they know there's zero chance of being caught. the issue is chronic now, i recently saw four motorists driving blatantly through a red, and one was driving an artic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Don199 wrote: »
    What’s the problem with people not obeying traffic lights in Ireland? Seen about 5 people going through a red light this morning alone. Is there any way of getting caught other than a Garda catching you, which is a slim chance they will.

AGS don't care. They'd rather catch people on e Scooters it seems. Illegal motoring behavior is rife in Ireland. We need ANPR and parking wardens.

Of course if you changed the title slightly to include the word cycling in it some would be happy with death squads doing the enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

So many people, even though they stop, cross the white line.
    In the UK they would be done for breaking the red light for this by either cops or red light cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

The sooner we have red light cameras to catch offenders the better.

Bus lane cameras too would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

The sooner we have red light cameras to catch offenders

Don’t they have 2 or 3 of these cameras in operation in Dublin City or are these still in operation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Build it and they will come.

We need

legislation in the dail to allow automatic fines issued by the cameras
    cameras on every major junction
    fines issued automatically
    & people will change their behaviour.

Irish roads will be safer, and the whingers will have a good moan about cash cows and road tax is high enough etc. But it would reduce the number of users running red lights because at the moment the know the chance of getting caught is negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Don’t they have 2 or 3 of these cameras in operation in Dublin City or are these still in operation?

I think there might be cameras with the capabilities but they are not functioning.

AFAIK there needs to be a change to legislation before they can be introduced.

I think there might be cameras with the capabilities but they are not functioning.

AFAIK there needs to be a change to legislation before
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/cameras-to-be-installed-at-three-blackspots-to-catch-red-light-runners-1.3852548%3fmode=amp do you reckon these aren’t working

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

AFAIK there needs to be a change to legislation before they can be introduced.

Ireland in a nutshell there..

Ireland in a nutshell there..

100%

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's only what 10-12 thousand Gardaí in the entire country? The issue isn't just a lack of enforcement, there isn't enough people to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The average here is three in cars. Cyclists can be higher in my experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There's only what 10-12 thousand Gardaí in the entire country? The issue isn't just a lack of enforcement, there isn't enough people to do it.
    drew harris recently postponed the transfer of approx. 130 gardai to roads policing due to resource issues.
    one issue is that road deaths are at an historic low, so it's probably not on their list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

What's your thoughts on the Amber light if your going a speed not safe enough to stop? Red lights are changed to green too fast I think also with traffic lights, there's no margain for error if someone mashes a mistake and doesn't or can't stop in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

drew harris recently postponed the transfer of approx. 130 gardai to roads policing due to resource issues.
    one issue is that road deaths are at an historic low, so it's probably not on their list of priorities.
    Numbers of people walking and cycling to work/school/creche should be the metric they use as opposed to traffic deaths (not to mention the horrible injuries).

What's your thoughts on the Amber light if your going a speed not safe enough to stop? Red lights are changed to green too fast I think also with traffic lights, there's no margain for error if someone mashes a mistake and doesn't or can't stop in time.

The person who smashes into the back of that car is responsible for the accident in those circumstances. The motorists by virtue of being surrounded by a couple of tonnes of metal, plastic, airbags etc are better placed to be involved in a collision than the entirely blameless flesh and bone that they might hit by proceeding.

What's your thoughts on the Amber light if your going a speed not safe enough to stop?
    surely that's the very definition of what an amber light means? stop, unless it is dangerous to do so?

The person who smashes into the back of that car is responsible for the accident in those circumstances. The motorists by virtue of being surrounded by a couple of tonnes of metal, plastic, airbags etc are better placed to be involved in a collision than the entirely blameless flesh and bone that they might hit by proceeding.
    So cause a crash and whiplash to a huge degree instead of going through an Amber light when the other lights by law can't move as they won't be green yet?

surely that's the very definition of what an amber light means? stop, unless it is dangerous to do so?
    Yea it's a real hard one that I find alot of the times, it's a split second decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

Yea it's a real hard one that I find alot of the times, it's a split second decision.

If the light has just turned amber & you really only have a split second decision, I'd generally keep going because you must be very close to the light if the reaction to stop would need to be that sudden. Therefore in all likelyhood the light won't have gone red by the time you pass

Now if you're approaching the light from a distance & can see it turning amber & have a few seconds to react, then I'd be preparing to stop

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree, I try my best to obey the lights but it happens so quick and sometimes you end up going through an amber light.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

Yeah I agree, I try my best to obey the lights but it happens so quick and sometimes you end up going through an amber light.

In fairness I think the issue is mostly with people who blatantly jump a red light, rather than make a quick decision on amber. I see it every day that my light would be green, but you still have one of two cars coming through from a light that has already long gone red

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Theres a difference between the "amber gambler" and the outright light breaker. I always beep at fellas doing it, not tat they will notice. But I regularly see fellas flying trough a red a good 2/3 seconds after going red. Funnily enough I regularly am right behind them then at the next lights :rolleyes:

In fairness I think the issue is mostly with people who blatantly jump a red light, rather than make a quick decision on amber. I see it every day that my light would be green, but you still have one of two cars coming through from a light that has already long gone red

Yea they are the dangerous ones, only if it's Amber I keep going otherwise as lights change so quick I'll stop on the Red but yea one can be a mistake but when it's two and three it's ridiculous plus very very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Stick red light cameras at the south bound off ramp at Cherrywood/M50 - national debt solved by lunchtime with something left over for the new children's hospital.

So cause a crash and whiplash to a huge degree instead of going through an Amber light when the other lights by law can't move as they won't be green yet?
    By the time the vehicle crosses the junction the pedestrian light will in many cases be green. What does the car that broke the light do in that situation? In my experience they plough on through the pedestrian crossing. The traffic engineers are in the practise now of delaying green on the opposite side. This just begets worse behaviour.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

There's a right turn beside the convention centre to go up the north quays. The lights going straight from the the other side turn red about 4/5 seconds before the "right turning" green light goes red. I've been unable to turn right for those 4/5 seconds on nearly every occasion due to the amount of cars that jump the red lights. Easily 3-5 cars go through the red. Also then have another handful of cyclists going through it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I stopped at a light controlled roundabout over the M50. After I had stopped, a car passed me in the other lane, completely ignoring the already red light. The Garda in his car in pole position at the light turning green completely ignored the situation.

It's not that he didn't see it happening, he had to take his foot off the accelerator to avoid the light breaker. You can't blame resources on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

I saw for the first time yesterday, the metering lights on the M1 being used, during the farmer M50 chaos. Most drivers were respecting them, but as I passed on the mainline, I watched one Audi A7 carefully drive around the car waiting at the front, and just carry on as if the lights weren't there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

This sounds like an excuse.
    If you are approaching a light that has been green for a while, you should be expecting it to turn to amber soon. Therefore you should be driving at a speed which will allow you to safely stop.
    If you are travelling at a speed 'not safe to stop' when the light turns amber, it seems like you have deliberately accelerated to 'catch the green'.
    I stop for amber lights. I've never had a rear-end crash or 'whiplash' in such circumstances.
    Also, you do not 'cause a crash' by stopping. The driver behind you who fails to stop 'causes the crash' by not driving at a speed where they can safely stop in the distance they can see to be clear.
    Incidentally, 'whiplash' doesn't seem to exist as a medical condition in jurisdictions where there is no insurance payout to be had...
    https://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/07/science/in-one-country-chronic-whiplash-is-uncompensated-and-unknown.html
    • If you are approaching a light that has been green for a while, you should be expecting it to turn to amber soon
    If the light has just turned amber & you really only have a split second decision, I'd generally keep going because you must be very close to the light if the reaction to stop would need to be that sudden. Therefore in all likelyhood the light won't have gone red by the time you pass

Now if you're approaching the light from a distance & can see it turning amber & have a few seconds to react, then I'd be preparing to stop
    Would you not be stopping 'cos that's what you are required to do by law?
    • If you are approaching a light that has been green for a while, you should be expecting it to turn to amber soon
    Yea they are the dangerous ones, only if it's Amber I keep going otherwise as lights change so quick.
    By the time the vehicle crosses the junction the pedestrian light will in many cases be green. What does the car that broke the light do in that situation? In my experience they plough on through the pedestrian crossing. The traffic engineers are in the practise now of delaying green on the opposite side. This just begets worse behaviour.
    Agreed.

Advertisement