Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guns Akimbo

• 15-01-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭

Nerdy video game developer (Daniel Radcliffe) is a little too fond of stirring things up on the internet with his caustic, prodding, and antagonizing comments. One night, he makes the mistake of drunkenly dropping an inflammatory barb on a broadcast of Skizm, an illegal death-match fight club streamed live to the public. In response, Riktor (Ned Dennehy), the maniacal mastermind behind the channel, decides to force Miles’ hand (or hands, as it were) and have him join the “fun.” Miles wakes to find heavy pistols bolted into his bones, and learns Nix (Samara Weaving), the trigger-happy star of Skizm, is his first opponent

Gleefully echoing elements of Edgar Wright’s Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, the Purge franchise, and videogames like Mortal Kombat, Guns Akimbo is hilariously dark, viciously violent, and potentially — chillingly — prescient. Director Jason Lei Howden (Deathgasm) foretells of a future that may soon await us: drone-captured live feeds, UFC-like competitions pushed to an extreme, and online streaming platforms used for gladiatorial entertainment all around the world. As Miles navigates the underworld of Skizm, the stakes — and the ratings — have never been higher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

I got a wanted vibe from it.

Looks like fun though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Kinda reminds me of Arnies film The Running Man

Googled Samara Weaving and turns out she is Hugo Weavings niece!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samara_Weaving
    She's gonna be in Bill & Ted Face the Music later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Slydice wrote: »

Yeah and she will also be playing Scarlett in the new GI Joe spinoff Snake Eyes. She was great in Ready or Not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Yeah and she will also be playing Scarlett in the new GI Joe spinoff Snake Eyes. She was great in Ready or Not too.
    I enjoyed The Babysitter, which she stars in too. She had a short run in The Evil Dead series, though a fairly minor role. She seems to be getting plenty of work, and I haven't seen anything she wasn't good in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was sure this was a really low key release a while ago. Guess I just heard about it then nothing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like it's channeling the same kind of anarchic energy of the Crank movies.

Fair play to Radcliffe: nobody can accuse him of ever choosing the easy or safe path in his post Potter career. Though having basically watched him grow up in those films, I'm still always surprised to see him without glasses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

mikhail wrote: »
    I enjoyed The Babysitter, which she stars in too. She had a short run in The Evil Dead series, though a fairly minor role. She seems to be getting plenty of work, and I haven't seen anything she wasn't good in.

Yeah The Babysitter was a great film and I remember her from Evil Dead. She was good in Mayhem too.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,829 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Slydice wrote: »

Another ex Home and Away actress

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

She is also Bill's daughter in the new Bill and Ted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Expecto... Explosions! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched this, this afternoon its enjoyable violent nonsense where Radcliffe is fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Switched it off after 20 minutes. I think it was going for funny/crazy, but just seemed amateurish to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just watched this. While I felt it was trying too hard in places, I ended up liking it. There's enough in it, for me, to have enjoyed. I felt like it didn't know if it wanted to go full on crazy, or semi-realistic crazy. Like millennial Crank, but not quite as good, even though it has enough of its own moments to separate it enough. Good enough popcorn flick with no thinking required, some genuine laugh out loud moments. Excellent performance by Radcliffe, but I'd imagine he didn't have to 'act' too much, just be himself x10. Does have a lot of crude humour which some will find immature, but you're not the audience if you think it is.

Advertisement