Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park and Cycle Galway

• 15-01-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Hi,

(this is a repost from Cycling forum)

Please PM me and/or reply to this thread.

Anyone currently cycling from county Galway to Galway city?
    Anyone planning on cycling from county Galway to Galway city?
    Anyone like to cycle from county Galway to Galway city but think it's too far or too dangerous?

What is the interest out there?

I'm hoping to get official Park and Cycle hubs setup around Galway city e.g. Oranmore, Barna, ClareGalway, to enable commuters to park their cars at the hub and cycle from there to city on safer roads.
    Benefits:
    Reduce commuter traffic.
    Reduce toxic fumes.
    Reduce commuter time.
    Get exercise.
    Reduce cost of commute.

I'm about to start cycling to work from Kinvara to Galway city, 30Km each way.
    It maybe too far, and too dangerous, so I'm interested in driving closer to Galway city, parking and cycling from there e.g. drive to Oranmore, park at Lidl and cycle on the coast road to town. Drive 15mins, cycle 30 mins.
    I've cycled the trip before, 1hr 30mins, the road is not ideal from Kinvara to Kilcolgan, dangerous.

I have noticed cars with bike racks parked off the coast road on the hard shoulder, I presume these are already doing the same but unofficially, it's only a matter of time before this is stopped.

I have contact the Galway Co Co (roads@GalwayCoCo.ie).
    Please contact me if you are interested in organizing something.

We may need to setup a petition if the interest is there.

Regards,
    Niall.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I currently cycle from Oranmore to GMIT area. The coast road is very dangerous at this time of year with no street lights and loads of pot holes etc. on the road shoulder. I would love if they put in a decent cycle lane along the coast road.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Dear Friends,

I just added the petition "Park and Cycle Galway".

It would mean a lot to me if you took a moment to add your name because:
    -Reduce commuter traffic.
    -Reduce toxic fumes.
    -Reduce commuter time.
    -Get exercise.
    -Reduce cost of commute.
    -Safety, country roads are too dangerous to cycle.

https://my.uplift.ie/p/parkcyclegalway

Real change happens when everyday people like you and I come together and stand up for what we believe in. Together we can reach heaps of people and help create change around this important issue.

After you've signed the petition please also take a moment to share it with others. It's super easy – all you need to do is forward this email or share this link on Facebook or Twitter:

https://my.uplift.ie/p/parkcyclegalway

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭StonedRaider

Fair play to you for getting off yer arse and doing something about it... rather than come on here and whinge day in day out.
    Myself and a handful other colleagues will support you in anyway we can. I'll spread the word.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I currently cycle from Oranmore to GMIT area. The coast road is very dangerous at this time of year with no street lights and loads of pot holes etc. on the road shoulder. I would love if they put in a decent cycle lane along the coast road.

I did not include any request about the condition of the existing cycle routes around the city itself. Does someone want to get something done?

I'm haven't cycled around Galway city in a while so I'm not up to date with the issues.

If there are issues we should get the data together and make a combined request to the County and City councils.
    It's election time so it might be a good time.
    Also Galway 2020 is coming very very soon, helping to reduce traffic should be high in mind.

How would one gather the issues and then file a combined request to the Councils?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Its a good idea OP, if we ever get Park and Ride sites around Galway City, in addition to Cycleways from them into and around the City, it would would be easy and useful to have BIKE Lockers at these Park and Ride sites so that you could leave bike overnight not having to transport it with you.
    Seen these Bike Lockers at train stations in Dublin.
    https://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/bicycle-information-for-rail-travel#bikeparking

http://www.bikelocker.ie/
    and
    https://www.cyc-lok.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

Hi Niall,

As the days get longer in the spring, I’d often cycle from Kinvara to Galway for work, it sure beats sitting in traffic.
    In the winter I tend to park in Oranmore and cycle from there. I agree with the earlier post, the coast road ( and the hard shoulder of the D/C) are crap places to cycle in the dark. The surface is terrible and full of debris.
    I think it was someone on here before posted a pretty shovel ready route from Oranmore to City Centre, using the coast road and the rail line. There is so much space buried under hedgerow on the coast road that could be aligned as a separated cycle lane, but there seems to be little political interest in developing this. Will be interesting to see what the door steppers take on it is over the next three weeks of electioneering.
    There is a Galway Cycling Forum that meet on a monthly basis in Galway, I keep an eye on their activities on social media, but I haven’t attended any of the meetings.

Best of luck with the petition, I signed it!
    PM

• Registered Users Posts: 22,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

How do they do the Drive then Cycle thing in larger cities?
    Any model to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Fair dues, signed. Would be terrified currently of cycling the Coast Road, I walk it to the station from the village and that alone is dark and treacherous let alone on a bike. Fully supportive of your efforts.

Good idea, signed, though you might want to check your spelling

ratracer wrote: »
    Hi Niall,

As the days get longer in the spring, I’d often cycle from Kinvara to Galway for work, it sure beats sitting in traffic.
    In the winter I tend to park in Oranmore and cycle from there. I agree with the earlier post, the coast road ( and the hard shoulder of the D/C) are crap places to cycle in the dark. The surface is terrible and full of debris.
    I think it was someone on here before posted a pretty shovel ready route from Oranmore to City Centre, using the coast road and the rail line. There is so much space buried under hedgerow on the coast road that could be aligned as a separated cycle lane, but there seems to be little political interest in developing this. Will be interesting to see what the door steppers take on it is over the next three weeks of electioneering.
    There is a Galway Cycling Forum that meet on a monthly basis in Galway, I keep an eye on their activities on social media, but I haven’t attended any of the meetings.

Best of luck with the petition, I signed it!
    PM

Hi, thanks for the response. If you know anyone in the Galway Cycling Forum please let them know of this. I've pinged them on FB.

Sounds like there are other issues with cycling around Galway city which should also be addressed.

• Advertisement

Some info here on the current cycle lanes in Galway City, if true it's unbelievably fragmented, who could plan such a thing

https://data.gov.ie/dataset/cycle-lanes-in-galway-city

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

n1st wrote: »
    Some info here on the current cycle lanes in Galway City, if true it's unbelievably fragmented, who could plan such a thing

https://data.gov.ie/dataset/cycle-lanes-in-galway-city

They've also counted bus lanes as cycle lanes. I don't think there's a bike lane from the huntsman to GMIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭xckjoo

topcat77 wrote: »
    They've also counted bus lanes as cycle lanes. I don't think there's a bike lane from the huntsman to GMIT?

I noticed that too. They are technically bus and cycle lanes but there's no continuous lane from gmit to the Huntsman. There's one going from Huntsman to the Bons and one from GMIT to the Bons (i.e half in one direction and half the other). Technically the map is correct but it's misleading. Haven't checked the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 10 La_Ana

This may be relevant: there's a campaign to build a cycleway parallel to the Curraghline N84 (Headford Road). There's a meeting next Monday night (20 January).
    https://mobile.twitter.com/n84cycleway/status/1216338706778464257

xckjoo wrote: »
    I noticed that too. They are technically bus and cycle lanes but there's no continuous lane from gmit to the Huntsman. There's one going from Huntsman to the Bons and one from GMIT to the Bons (i.e half in one direction and half the other). Technically the map is correct but it's misleading. Haven't checked the rest

I'd like to keep the cycle lane issues out of this Thread if possible. It is related but I'd like to make progress in one area to start.
    If there is another thread or movement to improve the greater infrastructure then post it here and we'll go from there. If there is not the can you create one and we'll join in?

Thanks,
    Niall.

Hi,

We must work as one in order to get things done.

If we don't ask we will not get.

In my experience Galway Co Co are very helpful.

We must decide what we want and then ask for it.
    A prioritized list of items, date and a deadline will help.

Please share the petition for Park and Cycle with as many as you can https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/park-and-cycle-galway

There is a forum here which maybe we should all use:
    http://www.galwaycycling.org/tag/galway-community-forum/ https://www.facebook.com/GalwayCycling/

Let's get it together.

Regards,
    Niall.

La_Ana wrote: »
    This may be relevant: there's a campaign to build a cycleway parallel to the Curraghline N84 (Headford Road). There's a meeting next Monday night (20 January).
    https://mobile.twitter.com/n84cycleway/status/1216338706778464257

Wow that's a great idea https://www.facebook.com/N84cycleway

I'd like to keep the cycle lane issues out of this Thread if possible. It is related but I'd like to make progress in one area to start.
    If there is another thread or movement to improve the greater infrastructure then post it here and we'll go from there. If there is not the can you create one and we'll join in?

Thanks,
    Niall.
    What? You posted the map and I explained what's being represented in part of it. I never mentioned anything about issues or changes to infrastructure. The map is technically correct but misleading in what you'll experience if you cycle that route. Something you might need to be aware of if you're cycling it.

Not exactly making me feel like we're "working as one" here Niall.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

What? You posted the map and I explained what's being represented in part of it. I never mentioned anything about issues or changes to infrastructure. The map is technically correct but misleading in what you'll experience if you cycle that route. Something you might need to be aware of if you're cycling it.

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned it's all the one problem. Having moved to Galway from Dublin 2 years ago, Galway is miles behind when it comes to cycling infrastructure.

Sorry xckjoo for any misunderstanding. You're right all this information is relevant, please keep posting. We may need an additional wider scoped thread and action.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Agreed. As far as I'm concerned it's all the one problem. Having moved to Galway from Dublin 2 years ago, Galway is miles behind when it comes to cycling infrastructure.

I wasn't even trying to bring up the terrible infrastructure just explaining what's there :D
    Something like this might help push the local government into improving things. If there was active groups cycling together to work they might actually pay more attention. OP I wonder would it be worth talking to the likes of Medtronic? They've a huge employee base and traffic is a serious problem for them.

I wasn't even trying to bring up the terrible infrastructure just explaining what's there :D
    Something like this might help push the local government into improving things. If there was active groups cycling together to work they might actually pay more attention. OP I wonder would it be worth talking to the likes of Medtronic? They've a huge employee base and traffic is a serious problem for them.

Yes getting employees of large companies is a great idea (my company for example is going to have issues in 2020 with car parking, public transport and cycling will become a requirement).
    Who can you contact?

After reading for the past couple of days, I'd like to hook up with the Galway Cycling Campaign http://www.galwaycycling.org/.

They seem to have a lot of work done they may have looked into this already. They meet every so often. I have pinged them.

The petition will continue, I'm hoping to get 100+ signatures.
    With these type of numbers then we can meet tie up with the Galway Cycling Campaign and put a plan together.
    The objective is to get Actions and Results this year, 2020.

zell12 wrote: »

Hi zell12,

Thanks for the links, they are helpful.

I have noticed over the past couple of days that there is a lot of acknowledgement and discussion about the general transport issues in Galway, some of these links are 2016, 2017, 2018 but I see mention in any documents of anything actually happening now.

Does anyone know what is actually happening in 2020 or what did happen in 2019 with regard to traffic and cycling?

Thanks for the post, keep them coming.

Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's an ongoing issue. Galway City Council have a transport strategy plan in place, if it ever comes to fruition:
    In the GTS, the Council have walking and cycling routes because we perceive a shift where people are starting to move over into using their bikes for certain elements of their journey. That could involve having bike lockers at the park-and-ride sites or for people to carry a bike in their vehicle.
    I'd echo to contact Medtronic cycling group, see what work they've done already
    Medtronic has worked hard to help tackle the traffic problem. We have an active traffic group within the company, which has spawned initiatives like car-pooling. We have a very active cycling group and an active commuter village, in which we have invested heavily to make sure we have state-of-the art cycling facilities. We have appointed independent traffic consultants. We have teamed up with other industries and the State and worked with various Government bodies in the Parkmore Traffic Action Group, PTAG, which is focused on providing a collective voice to drive change.

zell12 wrote: »
    It's an ongoing issue. Galway City Council have a transport strategy plan in place, if it ever comes to fruition:
    I'd echo to contact Medtronic cycling group, see what work they've done already

That's a very thorough bunch of documents in the first link, amazing really.
    Did anything in the documents actually get executed?
    The documents are published in August 2016.

We must work with the councils to help them execute. Plans are of absolutely no use unless actions are executed.

What is the priority in the Galway cycling community?
    If you could get any one issue fix in 2020 what would it be?
    1. Dedicated unbroken cycling lanes within the city from key points.
    2. Park and cycle hubs on the city outskirts.
    3. Bike parking in the city.
    4. Cycle lanes from city to the industrial areas.
    5. Other.

What is the priority in the Galway cycling community?
    If you could get any one issue fix in 2020 what would it be?
    1. Dedicated unbroken cycling lanes within the city from key points.
    Gets my vote. Preferably fully segregated but even shared with buses would be a good start. Would probably be an easier sell too as public transport is at least as important to help traffic IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’d go with #1 above as well, though that will be a city council, not county council issue.
    The county council should be pushed to provide separated cycle infrastructure on the main routes into the city boundary, which would also include Parkmore Ind Est.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Great ideas (I haven't read all the posts yet).
    I used to cycle from Castlegar Sports Ground (bottom of Doughiska) to Eyre Sq. Also did car park opp Merlin Park gate to Eyre Sq. And very occsiaionally used O'more (GAA pitch) and car park in woods in Roscam/Coast road.
    I would like to get back in gear again. I'm now based in Mervue so O'more would be no problem.
    Maybe even invest in an ebike and come all the way in from Craughwell!

Advertisement