Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed van question

• 08-01-2020 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

This could be a stupid question but I’m just trying to settle an argument with a friend in work, are these vans there just to check you’re speed or can they be used to detect other road offences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don199 wrote: »
    This could be a stupid question but I’m just trying to settle an argument with a friend in work, are these vans there just to check you’re speed or can they be used to detect other road offences?

Speed....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Landr

Wearing of seat belts

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

Speed....
    He said in England they can be used for other offences but it must be different here?

He said in England they can be used for other offences but it must be different here?

Yes in the UK they can zoom in for all sorts of offences as the operator actually has input not like here as the gosafe are civilian.

The UK also use anpr and do for tax, insurance, mot etc...

Yes in the UK they can zoom in for all sorts of offences as the operator actually has input not like here as the gosafe are civilian.

The UK also use anpr and do for tax, insurance, mot etc...
    so you’re saying legally in Ireland they can only do you for speed nothing else?

• Advertisement

Landr wrote: »
    Wearing of seat belts
    you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

you sure?

I fukcing hope thats the case. Even if it isn't i would like to spread this rumour. The amount of deaths i've heard of from people not wearing them (or sitting over them so that the warning bell doesn't go off on the car).

so you’re saying legally in Ireland they can only do you for speed nothing else?

Yes for the go safe vans that is all the equipment is equipped to deal with.
    Civilian people can't police the road as this would be nuts.

The Gardai did have approximately 10 white transits some have symbols on them and others not.... Saying this it's quite a long time since I've seen any but these would have a gaurd onboard.

The UK has been using a lot of different type equipment and do catch depending on the van dangerous drivers, crossing white lines, passing over hills etc etc....

They have a huge anpr set up over there and many of there police cars are equipped with these too.

They can even clock you coming towards them while they're moving.

Our vans you have to be extremely close to be caught...

I fukcing hope thats the case. Even if it isn't i would like to spread this rumour. The amount of deaths i've heard of from people not wearing them (or sitting over them so that the warning bell doesn't go off on the car).

Natural selection.... Darwin award.... Etc etc....

It's nowhere near as bad as it once was...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

you sure?

And tax, they can zoom in and read your tax disc. That's that I always have my tax disc in upside down. I've never been done for having no tax so far.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    And tax, they can zoom in and read your tax disc. That's that I always have my tax disc in upside down. I've never been done for having no tax so far.

What the f

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

LOL

Not sure what offences they detect aside from speeding, but the civilian in the van is there to set it up and monitor the equipment.

The civilian has no role whatsoever in determining fines/offences

The entire file is sent to thurles and a garda determines the parameters for sending the fines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

dammit, if only they had a computer they could tap into that held the tax details, they could make a fortune , and save a lot of zooming and neck craning.

Hard to see how you could be done for no tax if you had a disc but displayed it upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, if gosafe send the photo of a speeding car to the Gardaí, and the driver can clearly be seen holding a mobile phone to their ear. The Gardaí can't go after the phone offence?

flazio wrote: »
    So, if gosafe send the photo of a speeding car to the Gardaí, and the driver can clearly be seen holding a mobile phone to their ear. The Gardaí can't go after the phone offence?
    Apparently not! I thought they only snap the reg plate anyway no?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Apparently not! I thought they only snap the reg plate anyway no?

Photo is taken of the entire vehicle in case of a query about who was driving

L1011 wrote: »
    Photo is taken of the entire vehicle in case of a query about who was driving
    How can they tell who’s driving by the back of a car? Thought it was up to owner of car to nominate whoever was driving

How can they tell who’s driving by the back of a car? Thought it was up to owner of car to nominate whoever was driving

Takes photo of the front. Mostly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Photo is of the front for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Is there any leeway with the speedvans or is it at the Garda's discretion when sent on to them? ie. 52 in a 50 zone?

Is there any leeway with the speedvans or is it at the Garda's discretion when sent on to them? ie. 52 in a 50 zone?
    Allowed a small bit over as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Allowed a small bit over as far as I know

Never heard of anyone charged with a fine for being < 10% over

This is all anecdotal of course. Theoretically the limits the limit. However i guess someone borderline could successfully appeal alot given the small margin for error on these machines

Never heard of anyone charged with a fine for being < 10% over

This is all anecdotal of course. Theoretically the limits the limit. However i guess someone borderline could successfully appeal alot given the small margin for error on these machines
    You’d have to be doing 56 km in a 50 zone I’d say before you get a ticket based on what I’ve heard

Anyone with experience ever got a ticket for anything less than 10% over? Also I heard the ticket process has been sped up, a friend in work received one just 4 days after being caught, is it all automated now?

Anyone with experience ever got a ticket for anything less than 10% over? Also I heard the ticket process has been sped up, a friend in work received one just 4 days after being caught, is it all automated now?

A colleague got one for 105 in 100.

The garda checking the photo file must have been in foul mood that day.

Didn't believe it til I saw it

Darc19 wrote: »
    A colleague got one for 105 in 100.

The garda checking the photo file must have been in foul mood that day.

Didn't believe it til I saw it
    hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

A friend of mine is a Garda & he told me the gatso’s cameras can cover 5 lanes and they can trap a vehicle on the other side of a dual carriageway - ala the old Naas to Newbridge D way where there used to be gatsos almost permanently trapping on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and they can trap a vehicle on the other side of a dual carriageway - ala the old Naas to Newbridge D way where there used to be gatsos almost permanently trapping on.
    Do they throw out a huge net to trap these vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Do they throw out a huge net to trap these vehicles?

Look at a gatso next time you pass one, they have cams mounted on the sides of the vans.

Advertisement