Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris GR - 260 BPH, 4x4 with LSD...

• 15-01-2020 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭

Toyota annouced the most cute small m...f...r - Yaris GR...

Three pot 1.5 engine produces stunning ~260 BHP... Permanent 4x4 with optional two LSD Torsen differentials... This is going to be fun...

Of course, Toyota Ireland is silent. As always with anything remotely interesting.

b838d411f859a8f83bce20be82e4c7b5e5c1ee556139748b42f1f241.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That car would probably cost over 40k here when you take into account our taxes. All Toyota Ireland want to do is sell hybrids to mass goers Mary and John who have virtually no interest in such cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    That car would probably cost over 40k here when you take into account our taxes.

It costs, what it costs. All of those would be brought for order anyway, they wouldn't have to stock them and then try to shift... I don't really see a problem, bar the state of mind of Toyota Ireland.
    All Toyota Ireland want to do is sell hybrids to mass goers Mary and John who have virtually no interest in such cars.

The target of TI has no interest in cars period ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This seems to be a homologation model for motorsports? Can’t see any other reason for it. It’s not as if it’s a halo model that will sell thousands of 1.0 models to rally fans.

They can’t even build a Supra themselves ffs.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    This seems to be a homologation model for motorsports? Can’t see any other reason for it.

Yet, it is.
    It’s not as if it’s a halo model that will sell thousands of 1.0 models to rally fans.

They can’t even build a Supra themselves ffs.

At least 8000 units will be built. That's far more than the typical homologation requirements and there is an actual chance to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭kooga

Uk price is estimated at £30K according to autocar

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Yet, it is.

At least 8000 units will be built. That's far more than the typical homologation requirements and there is an actual chance to get one.

Curious to see how many they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    But realistically speaking even if it wasn't for VRT how many would Toyota Ireland actually sell? The market for performance cars over here is tiny

VW sold plenty of Golf Rs here in recent times so there is certainly a market here for performance cars even if it relatively small.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    But realistically speaking even if it wasn't for VRT how many would Toyota Ireland actually sell? The market for performance cars over here is tiny

And anyone looking for performance cars will most likely never consider a Yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

That car would probably cost over 40k here when you take into account our taxes.

More like 60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭selectamatic

£32k is what I've seen mentioned for the uk.

Hard know where that'll leave us.

Interesting to see Toyota uk have been getting a few popular British youtubers onboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

£32k is what I've seen mentioned for the uk.

Hard know where that'll leave us.

Interesting to see Toyota uk have been getting a few popular British youtubers onboard.

That's the price of a GTI in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

That car would probably cost over 40k here when you take into account our taxes. All Toyota Ireland want to do is sell hybrids to mass goers Mary and John who have virtually no interest in such cars.

To be fair, any 260 bhp 4x4 will cost at least 40k new in Ireland.

Is there any indication that this model will even be offered outside of Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I personally think it's fecking cool. Would be extremely fun car to scare all rep mobiles, who would see just a little ****y white Yaris.

Obviously the cost is going to be a killer here and I doubt we will see a single one sold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-gr-yaris-hot-hatch-2020

The example they've been showing off is LHD with Euro size plates, so very much looks like it's destined for Europe.

Yes. The pricelist is available in Poland.

And anyone looking for performance cars will most likely never consider a Yaris.

Why? There is nothing wrong with small performance cars.

Don't forget that 100 HP in a Yaris feels completely different than 100 HP in 7-series... The Up GTI has 115 HP and from what I hear, it is a fantastic car.

Any idea what the emissions are on it?

Nada...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

184g/km preliminary,

260bhp, 4wd with lsd, vcd & 1300kg

It will be a fun little car i'd say.

Can't help but think this is the kind of power the gt86 should have had..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I imagine that it'll be a riot to drive. When Toyota want to do a good car, they can (AE86, ST185 & ST205 GT4, MR-2, GT86, etc).

I imagine they'll be a few sold here. If I was in the market for a 4WD turbo petrol, it'll be a nice alternative to the Golf R, Cupra R, M135, etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like a fun package.

Remains to be seen whether it'll be imported or not, and if so, how good it'll be.

184g/km preliminary,

260bhp, 4wd with lsd, vcd & 1300kg

It will be a fun little car i'd say.

Can't help but think this is the kind of power the gt86 should have had..

€750 tax and 30% VRT so.

ianobrien wrote: »
    I imagine that it'll be a riot to drive. When Toyota want to do a good car, they can (AE86, ST185 & ST205 GT4, MR-2, GT86, etc).

I imagine they'll be a few sold here. If I was in the market for a 4WD turbo petrol, it'll be a nice alternative to the Golf R, Cupra R, M135, etc.

Do you think the fact that it’s a 3 door might actually go against it? Manufacturers have pretty much moved to 5 door even on a lot of performance stuff.

Do you think the fact that it’s a 3 door might actually go against it? Manufacturers have pretty much moved to 5 door even on a lot of performance stuff.

Yes, significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I was reading up on the blurb Toyota released. The ordinary Yaris is 5 door only. They went 3 door as that's what TMR wanted for the next rally car design (probably to shove the crew back for better weight distribution). It's the same reason that the rear was designed with input from TMR for aerodynamics on the future rally car.

Most manufacturers are going to 5 door only so that they don't have the cost of engineering and certifying a 3 door that doesn't sell well.

No body panels are the same as the 5 door, its quite different to the standard Yaris.
    1579027551791.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I thought honestly I'd never say this about a Yaris but wow is it cool and isn't it one aggressive looking motor.

That would be great on or off the track....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CJhaughey wrote: »
    No body panels are the same as the 5 door, its quite different to the standard Yaris.
    1579027551791.jpg

Looks fantastic from that angle.

• Advertisement

The Irish model is available this year.
    With Hybrid powertrain....
    https://www.toyota.ie/world-of-toyota/articles-news-events/2018/toyota-yaris-gr-sport.json

Advertisement