Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports capital grants

• 14-01-2020 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I see a number of golf clubs have got sports capital grants. Of course a plethora of other sports including soccer, GAA, rugby etc have got grant's too but what are peoples views on allocations for golf clubs? Amongst general public golf can be seen as an elitist game which attracts a certain demographic with plenty of disposable income and may wonder is it the best opportunity cost. A bit like Shane Ross allocating money to a BlackRock private school for Hockey pitches but not quite on that same level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I see a number of golf clubs have got sports capital grants. Of course a plethora of other sports including soccer, GAA, rugby etc have got grant's too but what are peoples views on allocations for golf clubs? Amongst general public golf can be seen as an elitist game which attracts a certain demographic with plenty of disposable income and may wonder is it the best opportunity cost. A bit like Shane Ross allocating money to a BlackRock private school for Hockey pitches but not quite on that same level.
    Have you ever looked at the application process? I think you should start there to see the criteria required to get grants,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Have you ever looked at the application process? I think you should start there to see the criteria required to get grants,

That multiplied by 10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

Whiplash85 wrote: »

So, apart from soccer, GAA & rugby, what sports should get grants then ?

I think the elitist perception thing died away about 20 years ago. Have you seen how many clubs have closed and how many lost huge numbers of members in the last 10 years ?

As mentioned above, check out the criteria for getting a grant, especially the one about barriers to entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Whilst my own club has benefited from one of these grants, I do have an issue with the way the money is being used and also some of the clubs on the list I'm very surprised they are in a financial position to benefit from a grant.

I believe that the grant money should be used by clubs to subsidise free or hugely reduced membership for juniors. There is a huge financial barrier for young kids taking up the game of golf and especially so for kids whose parents don't play golf. IMO the money would be better served growing the game and getting kids into golf rather than bolstering course facilities.

https://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2019/11/15/golf-clubs-receive-234-million-in-2018-sports-capital-programme?fbclid=IwAR0b0eS4NhIcYzxNCPtQHafXq3pv6YJwEoUgKjLbO5NXlUdUKumRRTE_Sxw

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I don't think private clubs should be entitled to public monies which would be better served amongst local communities. Last year, Delgany received €65,000 to improve their practice area considering an inner city boxing club received c.€500. Albeit, there is a certain minister who is believed to have affiliations with the club but that could just be hearsay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

I don't think private clubs should be entitled to public monies which would be better served amongst local communities. Last year, Delgany received €65,000 to improve their practice area considering an inner city boxing club received c.€500. Albeit, there is a certain minister who is believed to have affiliations with the club but that could just be hearsay

No privately owned club are entitled to a sports grant

Advertisement