Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electricity supplier

• 15-01-2020 10:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend an electricity supplier that offers the best value for a day/night meter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bonkers.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

unkel wrote: »
    bonkers.ie

Is switcher.ie any better or all the one?

Glowpower and Iberdrola seem to be the best options, never heard of these. Anyone ever use them?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Haven't used them but glow power seem to be coming in with being the cheapest,

Energia are in the ball park too being 100% renewable, the unit rates are low but standing charge is relatively high.

Do you know what you are using for the year and your day/night split?

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I heard Iberdrola are difficult if you need customer service, but fine if you don't.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Also take into account cash back offers. You need to know your consumption (and day / night split) and you'll need to do a break even analysis to see if this is the better option for you. The analysis will tell you a maximum yearly consumption under which a certain cash back offer will save you more than a lower rate offer

graememk wrote: »
    Haven't used them but glow power seem to be coming in with being the cheapest,

Energia are in the ball park too being 100% renewable, the unit rates are low but standing charge is relatively high.

Do you know what you are using for the year and your day/night split?

Bill averages out at 200 Euro every 2 months.
    The usage of day/night is roughly 50/50.

Bill averages out at 200 Euro every 2 months.
    The usage of day/night is roughly 50/50.

4200 kWh is the normal yearly Irish household use, I'm in the process of switching too and trying to pick a new supplier, Still currently on a 24 hr meter myself but my car isn't due to come until March/April so i still have time to get that sorted!

I done up a spreadsheet to maybe make things clearer for myself and trying to calculate what the car would use on top of normal use.

Heres a link to the google sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TV68HDBMqcjtVBspxoV3GOhJDQkLlfBkX5Hb8_LxnHs/

the unit rates and standing charge are inputted manually and I've only done some of the 24 hr rates as an example. Anything in green at the top is user changeable and the rest should be calculated.

Standing charge is for a Rural connection, so you may have to change that to what yours is. - Prices are as accurate to a couple of weeks ago.

Take a copy and edit it as you see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Apologies for dropping into this thread- we have day / night meter with Energia signed up for EV plan .25c day rate and .07c night rate.

Seems very high most recent bill below- 377e for 2 months Dec /Jan 2022

Last bill was 203 for usage Oct/ nov 2021 ie charging EV leaf 30kw most nights, tumble dryer maybe 4/7, dishwasher 7/7:

Day 26293 CU 26655 E 362

Night 13004 CU 14002 E 998

Dec/Jan 2022:

Day 26655 E 27602 CU 947

Night 14002 E 15838 CU 1836 

Standing Charge 66 days at €0.94 per day €62.04

Day 947 Units at €0.2589 per Unit €245.18

Night 1,836 Units at €0.0745 per Unit €136.78

Your discount for this period €118.41CR

Public Service Obligation Levy - 2 months at €4.30 €8.60

Sub Total before VAT €334.19

VAT on €334.19 at 13.5% €45.11

PSO Levy Credit Adjustment €1.41CR VAT on €-1.41 at 13.5% €0.19CR

Total transactions for this period €377.70

Any advice welcome for alternative suppliers or plans though this one has 31% discount.

Your October/Nov bill was estimated, so that was likely on the low side. That is what is probably making it higher for this bill.

Your discounted unit rates aren't actually 25&7 it's more like 17.5+vat for the day rate as your discount works out at about 31%

• Advertisement
Advertisement