Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday competition timesheet

• 12-01-2020 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

How difficult in general is it to find a time in clubs around Dublin for Sunday competitions during winter? Club I’m a member in seems to have the same names at the same times every week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Probably cause they organise to get their names down in the first hour that the timesheet is open

Same names always get on sheet but places usually open up close to tee off

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

h2005 wrote: »
    How difficult in general is it to find a time in clubs around Dublin for Sunday competitions during winter? Club I’m a member in seems to have the same names at the same times every week

Suggest you log on to the online system as soon as it opens if you want to get one of the "prime slots".

I know from my experience if I leave it till 10 mins past the opening time I will miss my preferred slot or cant book my usual group in together.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

There is also the lack of early light in winter squeezing those early morning slots

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Not restricted to Dublin.
    It's easier to buy tickets on Ticketmaster than to get early slots in my club in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Probably cause they organise to get their names down in the first hour that the timesheet is open

Same names always get on sheet but places usually open up close to tee off

What I’m wondering is it done before it goes online or would that be a total no no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

What I’m wondering is it done before it goes online or would that be a total no no?

I'd be surprised if there are not at least a few clubs that do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It could be a reward for the committee or past committee to get first preference. We don't do it at our place but they do get free competition fees. Should be scraped imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

It could be a reward for the committee or past committee to get first preference. We don't do it at our place but they do get free competition fees. Should be scraped imo.

I’ve seen a number of clubs that offer committee members 1st preference.

I’ve also seen a usual 4 ball locking 4 lines in a row while they talk on the phone and picking which line suits best. Personally I’m not a fan of being able to lock a line for 3 minutes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Not restricted to Dublin.
    It's easier to buy tickets on Ticketmaster than to get early slots in my club in Galway.

Same here in Tullamore. I haven’t played all winter because I can’t get a slot. :(

Ask at your AGM. Confirmed it never happened.

I never suspected it happened at my club. And with a third party running the club it was highly unlikely

• Advertisement

Ask at your AGM. Confirmed it never happened.

I never suspected it happened at my club. And with a third party running the club it was highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I have an alarm on my phone to remind me to book every Friday for the following weekend.
    I need to be at the laptop and ready to click refresh at 18:44:59
    After 3 minutes all spaces will be booked.
    The only one that gets a pre-booked line is the captain.

Having said that, I have never failed to get a spot if I add my name to the waiting list as people always drop off through the week

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I have an alarm on my phone to remind me to book every Friday for the following weekend.
    I need to be at the laptop and ready to click refresh at 18:44:59
    After 3 minutes all spaces will be booked.
    The only one that gets a pre-booked line is the captain.

Having said that, I have never failed to get a spot if I add my name to the waiting list as people always drop off through the week

Why dont you book on your phone?

Our waiting list is only a 2 hour window, which can be annoying if you are happy to play at anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I find that the laptop is much faster to refresh the page and get to your desired time than the phone.
    I will only use the phone if I am out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Our club is introducing pre-payment for weekend competitions at the time of booking. The aim is to cut down on no shows and people block booking lines for their pals who may drop out later in the week which adds people to the waiting list unnecessarily and preventing them from booking their preferred time. If you don’t cancel before the stipulated cut off, you lose your fee and it’s passed onto the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I find that the laptop is much faster to refresh the page and get to your desired time than the phone.
    I will only use the phone if I am out and about

Do you use BRS?
    The app automatically updates once the sheet is live...

Our club is introducing pre-payment for weekend competitions at the time of booking. The aim is to cut down on no shows and people block booking lines for their pals who may drop out later in the week which adds people to the waiting list unnecessarily and preventing them from booking their preferred time. If you don’t cancel before the stipulated cut off, you lose your fee and it’s passed onto the club.

I'd love to see that become commonplace. I imagine a lot of people would have a problem with this though, because they'd end up being charged for the slots they book and don't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

blue note wrote: »
    I'd love to see that become commonplace. I imagine a lot of people would have a problem with this though, because they'd end up being charged for the slots they book and don't use.

But it would free up spaces because people who book up spaces then don't appear do it again if there is no penalty

As I say, I'd be massively in favour of it. But some people for sure book a whole line in the hope of getting 4 and then don't cancel a spot if they only have 3. I'd say a mainly unintentional, or maybe keeping the whole line right up to Saturday night in case someone can fill it, but no-one likes to have to pay for their mistakes. And for the odd person who actually does this intentionally, well they would very obviously be annoyed if they were going to be charged for it. The likes of the people who only want to play with people they know. Maybe they don't want to be landed with a 20 handicapper. Or the guys who book the first slot for a 2 ball because they want to get around in under 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    But it would free up spaces because people who book up spaces then don't appear do it again if there is no penalty

i was left standing by when my playing partners never turned up without cancelling so i would gladly welcome this pre-payment in my club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ours seems to work pretty well. For our main Sunday comp it goes live the Friday on the previous weekend and you can book yourself and 3 others but not a guest. The comp fee is taken from our online purse but remains pending until after the comp. We have until the morning before to take our name off or else we lose the comp fee. If anyone does a no show then they forfeit the money. It works very well

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭redhill

BRS use our club as a guinea pig for ideas like this as a few of them play there, We have had the fine for no shows for 7-8 years or longer now and it works well, slots regularly appear on Thursday & Fri of the week, we have an added penalty of a week ban from the timesheet for a 2nd no show offence and month ban for 3rd, after the 1st year practically no one has been banned for repeat offending

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Similar here. If you cancel after midnight before competition you lose the fee. Not sure if there are penalties for no-shows on top of that.
    Works very well as far as I can see.

Timesheet fills up quickly but frees up the day before as people realise they can't make it.

Rarely have a problem getting a single slot.

I would imagine that if there was no 'incentive' to cancel, it would be a nightmare. People can be very selfish.

Advertisement