Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pronunciation of SNES

Options
  • 12-01-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭

Watching a video on, eh, how to add more games that you already own the roms to, onto your SNES, and the guy in the video annoyed me. He kept pronouncing it as Super N.E.S., saying each letter individually. I've always known it as a SNES (pronounced SNEZ), so I went a Googlin' and found that Americans generally pronounce it as S.N.E.S. (and they're wrong).

What say ye!

I'm bored at work

How do you pronounce SNES? 97 votes

SNEZ
    74% 72 votes
    S.N.E.S.
    23% 23 votes
    Super N.E.S.
    1% 1 vote
    Other
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

In my circle of friends at the time it was a SNEZ or Super Nintendo. Only heard the soft S listening to American podcasts. Same for Super NES (soft S). I don't recall hearing all the letters spelled out though.

There was a guy in school who insisted on calling Zone of the Enders "Zed-Oh-Ee" instead of Zoe like the rest of us. I think he's in prison now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Americans can't spell, so their pronunciation wouldn't be my default for anything :P

If it was meant to be a soft s, it would be a SNESe :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Does it matter.

At least he didn't call the PS1 the PSX

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Always called it a Super Nintendo myself, never really liked the way SNEZ sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

o1s1n wrote: »
    Always called it a Super Nintendo myself, never really liked the way SNEZ sounds.

Same.

Related, Pro Evolution Soccer, which I played back when FIFA was crap, was always shortened to Pro Evo. One of this PES nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Does it matter.

Nope, but i'm bored! Just weird hearing it any other way than the way we used to say it. Loved my SNEZ I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

But I suppose the yanks don't name their sports in easily acronymical(?) fashion. FIFA is easy to say. NFL isn't (en-fel?), neither is NBA (en-bah) or NHL (en-hl). I'm thinking way too much into this...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Snez, anything else is just weird and/or longer to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sugarman wrote: »
    Americans dont like to use acronyms in general.

Its SNES / SNEZ for most of the world.

Same way we call FIFA, FIFA and UEFA, UEFA ...and not Fration Internationale de Football Association or Union of European Football Associations.

Yanks live for acronyms.

Yanks live for acronyms.

You'd think so but in a previous job I had someone call the IT helpdesk I was manning and who was a site IT manager to ask what 'by C.O.B' meant in an email she received :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It was way worse when they pronounced Megadrive as Genesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Where's the "Super Family Computer" option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Where's the "Super Family Computer" option?
    Or スーパーファミコン

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

What ever ye called the Nintendo Entertainment System, stick an S Infront.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

WTF are we supposed to call the original Xbox now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think it was Bad influence that made me start calling it Snez.
    Guess Nam, Andy and Violet were a bad influence on me.

:pac:
    I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    WTF are we supposed to call the original Xbox now?

OG XBOX?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Thats easy.

SNES is pronounced as Mega Drive.

Advertisement