Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help finding stock

• 14-01-2020 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I want to buy some stock of SPCE. I have searched on many EU brokers such a e-toro and E*trade but can't find it listed on any of these. Would someone be able to help me find where I can buy it. It is on the new York stock exchange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Wait a year .. thank me later.
    Worst case scenario I'm wrong and you don't lose your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jcourtney2000

rosmoke wrote: »
    Wait a year .. thank me later.
    Worst case scenario I'm wrong and you don't lose your money.

Appreciate the advice but I am only looking to invest a small amount. Maybe €200. I'm 19 and want to learn a little bit about trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's on Degiro, that's good advice you got above. Stick it in something within 50 meters of you. Sony, Microsoft, Coca Cola, Johnson & Johnson etc.
    Space travel can wait, your €200 could easily go boom, rockets have a habit of doing it.

It's on Degiro, that's good advice you got above. Stick it in something within 50 meters of you. Sony, Microsoft, Coca Cola, Johnson & Johnson etc.
    Space travel can wait, your €200 could easily go boom, rockets have a habit of doing it.

Will take that into consideration. Would you be able to point me to some resources if possible on where to find information about all things trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Will take that into consideration. Would you be able to point me to some resources if possible on where to find information about all things trading.

Pick one company and research it as much as you can including it's competition. Know all about it's market.

Why Virgin Galactic for instance? Where do you see the market for space travel going. Anyone else in the game, is it a profitable sustainable business.

Your way younger than me, people have built into the Tesla valuation that the younger generations Ferraris are Tesla's, any other new brands you think older people might not have copped on are huge for your generation.

• Advertisement

Pick one company and research it as much as you can including it's competition. Know all about it's market.

Why Virgin Galactic for instance? Where do you see the market for space travel going. Anyone else in the game, is it a profitable sustainable business.

Your way younger than me, people have built into the Tesla valuation that the younger generations Ferraris are Tesla's, any other new brands you think older people might not have copped on are huge for your generation.

In 2014 I told my mom about Tesla and how she should buy some shares in it. She is not very investing savy and my age was against me then.

I believe in Virgin Galactic as they have proven the technology already. It is owned and backed by a billionaire. If recent pass has shown us anything, it's that hobby buisnesses can thrive. I believe in the company as millennials are very smart people when it comes to innovation with access to so much information on demand. In the immediate future they have no competitors. They have the technology to do this.

If they can start commercial flights there is no limit to the amount of billion/millionaires who want to experience space. Each ticket is $250k and the craft can fit 8 people. They have already received $80 million in deposits for tickets.

The spaceshiptwo as they call it cost $400 million dollars to develop. To add more of the same craft to the fleet will be drastically cheaper than that amount. This means that there can be constant flights and more revenue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Start by making a list of all traders who have accumulated wealth over their 20 to 30 year career.... that back of a matchbox should provide plenty of space.

Dig up the accounts of someone like UBS and see how often they reported a profit from trading on their own account, no their clients accounts.

The only people who make money out out of trading are:
    - Platform providers
    - Information providers
    - Education providers

Spend your money and time on learning to invest, in the long run it will deliver the wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The problem with new technology is hundreds of companies fail, a handful succeed.
    People are attracted to the technology. It is profit that supports share values.

Canals, railways, cars, aircraft, radio, television, computers, internet had plenty of crash and burn.
    People think new technology companies will expand without limit.

Yahoo shares were valued at 630 years profit. Google came along.
    Dell Computer shares were valued at more than three times all the PCs in the world. Tablets and smart phones came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Just because Branson is a billionaire doesn't mean all his business ventures will be a success he has had his fair share of failures throughout the years. This venture will realistically take years before any investors any payoff and I suspect it wont be attractive for the vast majority investors or it could also go to zero which has happend. I believe this mining in space stuff is pure non sense it won't happen in you or my lifetime anyway I can guarantee you that.

Jim is spot on, 90% of traders loose their money (I suspect it is even higher, more towards 99%) don't listen to them specially the forex lads..

What you need to do is read up on investing and finance in general. I would suggest you take a look at value investing, try to learn as much as you can good to see you taking such a keen interest at such a young age.

I would suggest first of all that you "index" by buying into index funds such as iShares,Vanguard etc which offer a wide range of options from the main equity markets (S&P 500,NASDAQ 100,FTSE 100, EURO STOXX 50), Emerging markets, Treasury bills etc. Continue to do this until you feel you have gained sufficient investment knowledge where you are comfortable to start making personal investments. Remember to do your homework and due diligence before investing in a particular company look through annuals reports, financial statements, ratios, earnings, industry analysis, current economy, business cycles/stages, competitors, risk management, fraud, get a feel of the companies directors etc.

Some books I would recommend:
    - Any macro/microeconomics books
    - The Intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham
    - Margin of Safety - Seth Klarnan (CURRENTLY READING, BRILLIANT SO FAR)
    - One Up on Wallstreet - Peter Lynch
    - Poor Charlie's Almanack - Charlie Munger
    - Tap Dancing to Work: Warren Buffett on Practically Everything - Carol Loomis
    - The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns - Mohnish Pabrai (Gave a great lecture in Trinity Business School recently, available on YT)

I would be careful investing right now you really have to make sure you have done your homework and due diligence on which ever company. Equities are at an all time high and we have been in a rally for the last 11 years and are long overdue a recession I suspect the next one will be global with the world economy slowing down things aren't looking great. There is currently a lot of uncertainty right now too with respect to Brexit, US/China, negative interest rates etc.

Remember not to follow the herd, think independently.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

JMMCapital wrote: »
    Some books I would recommend:
    That is the way to go.
    I have The Intelligent Investor on my bedside unit.
    The problem is people will not read these books.
    They want to succeed without effort.

My memory may be faulty here but I think Warren Buffett bought shares in a very boring food company, making raw ingredients for other food companies.
    It had a name like General Products, Universal Foods, American Products or similar.
    It was earning 40% of the share price each year, a PE of 2.5. Nobody wanted the shares. It was boring.
    You invest USD 100. At the end of the year the company (you) banked USD 40.
    At the end of two years the company (you) had banked USD 80. You have almost got back your money.
    There was little risk in the investment. The company was running for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

I wouldn't buy it here, it's parabolic on the daily chart. It will probably fall to 12$ and find support there. That would be a better place to buy it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Pacoa wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy it here, it's parabolic on the daily chart. It will probably fall to 12$ and find support there. That would be a better place to buy it.

You don't need a chart to tell you that when the price falls that more buyers will surface, especially with this kind of stock, when all the ones that missed it last time around are waiting to jump in.

Advertisement