Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

92nd Academy Awards (Oscars 2020)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Fuck it. Get Ricky in.

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

With Parasite, the Academy has a rare opportunity this year to give at least some of the top awards to a critically acclaimed, commercially successful and extremely buzzy foreign language film - a move that would be near unprecedented and admirably forward-thinking (by Oscar standards).

I am not hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I reckon Green Book will do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Nominations are now out: BBC coverage is here.

Joker leading the field with 11 nominations. This could be Scarlett Johansson's year, with nominations in both Leading and Supporting Actress categories.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

I thought Adam Sandler would get in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Movie & Director look quite open this year, I'd go for Mendes & 1917 to win them.

Acting awards all look like locks already
    Phoenix - Zellwegger - Pitt - Dern

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So great to see wonderful films like Parasite, Little Women and Marriage Story make the Best Picture list, even if they’ll inevitability lose to some piece of **** like 1917.

The disproportionate presence of the likes of JoJo Rabbit and 1917 over stuff like The Farewell, Uncut Gems or Knives Out just shows the Academy descending ever further into parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well done Saoirse!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

So great to see wonderful films like Parasite, Little Women and Marriage Story make the Best Picture list, even if they’ll inevitability lose to some piece of **** like 1917.

Not really sure about that.
    Marriage Story is one of Baumbachs worst films and Little Women is a remake.

The standard of films getting nominated seems to be getting worse and worse every year,its the same old lazy type of films getting nods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

The disproportionate presence of the likes of JoJo Rabbit and 1917 over stuff like The Farewell, Uncut Gems or Knives Out just shows the Academy descending ever further into parody.

I agree with you somewhat, err.. despite having seen very few on the list. Don't think Knives Out deserved a nom. though; while entertaining and clever, it's rather contrived and a bit over-farcical in parts.

Thank God the insufferable Christian Bale wasn't nodded. The Actor lists are bad enough with the likes of Pacino, LDC, Pott and Hanks stuck in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Trolling as usual.
    Nonsense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I feel like Saoirse Ronan is destined to become another Amy Adams with regards to the Oscars. Both top actresses who the Academy loves but who somehow never manage to be in the buzziest film of the nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Pesci >>> Pitt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Little women already won an Oscar, 1949 for art direction, Irishman Cedric Gibbons was one of the winners.

I'd like Joker to take best picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

No Sandler is a farce. Pure snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Marriage Story is one of Baumbachs worst films and Little Women is a remake.

Little Women is the seventh (afaik) film adaptation of a ~150 year old book. Don't think it really counts as a "remake", to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

You think Marriage story has never been filmed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Arghus wrote: »
    I reckon Green Book will do it again.

wasn't a massive fan and it would not have been my choice, but the crying on twitter afterwards nearly justified it winning.

Going to be a million "Oscars so white !" takes in the next few weeks which they could have nipped in the bud by nominating the director and or the 2 leads from the farewell,,,heck could have nominated an actor or two from Parasite but alas not to be.

Its not the worst list tbf, I'd like Parasite to win best picture, but once upon a time in hollywood was fantastic although so if it wins, all good.

• Advertisement

JLo must be raging missing out for Hustlers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    JLo must be raging missing out for Hustlers

People are saying it’s a travesty. I haven’t seen Hustlers. Wuz she robbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭PressRun

Some bizarre picks there.
    Joker for best film, best adapted screenplay plus costuming and makeup? Seriously?
    I'd give it best actor and that's about it.

No costume nomination for Dolemite Is My Name is disappointing.

I haven't seen Uncut Gems, but have read Sandler's performance is one of the best in a long time. Surprised to see him shut out. Possibly a bit of snobbery going on there? Same for Jennifer Lopez. Thought she was worth a nomination, but wouldn't be surprised if voters don't see the subject matter of the film or Lopez herself to be worthy enough.

I'd love to know what movie all these people were watching when they looked at JoJo Rabbit? It was fine, but come on.

Parasite the best of the lot, great to see it get a bit of recognition and would love to see it spring a surprise.

Again though, would wonder how many of the voters have actually seen all the movies in question? Lots of great movies released over the last year or so, but the esteemed voters of the Academy don't seem to have watched very many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

Taron Egerton didnt get the nod........Elton wont be happy about that.

PressRun wrote: »
    Some bizarre picks there.
    Joker for best film, best adapted screenplay plus costuming and makeup? Seriously?
    I'd give it best actor and that's about it.

No costume nomination for Dolemite Is My Name is disappointing.

I haven't seen Uncut Gems, but have read Sandler's performance is one of the best in a long time. Surprised to see him shut out. Possibly a bit of snobbery going on there? Same for Jennifer Lopez. Thought she was worth a nomination, but wouldn't be surprised if voters don't see the subject matter of the film or Lopez herself to be worthy enough.

I'd love to know what movie all these people were watching when they looked at JoJo Rabbit? It was fine, but come on.

Parasite the best of the lot, great to see it get a bit of recognition and would love to see it spring a surprise.

Again though, would wonder how many of the voters have actually seen all the movies in question? Lots of great movies released over the last year or so, but the esteemed voters of the Academy don't seem to have watched very many of them.

Joker to be fair was well liked by critics and audiences so for something as mainstream as the oscars, it doesn't seem out of place whatsoever.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Joker to be fair was well liked by critics and audiences so for something as mainstream as the oscars, it doesn't seem out of place whatsoever.

I wouldn't call it the best movie of the year though, even out of the mainstream movies. Certainly not the best written.

PressRun wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it the best movie of the year though, even out of the mainstream movies. Certainly not the best written.

That's fair enough, I am so-so with it been on the list,, but as someone who was uninspired by recent winners it doesn't really bother me that much.

Its no worse than shape of water anyhow.:p

Rjd2 wrote: »
    That's fair enough, I am so-so with it been on the list,, but as someone who was uninspired by recent winners it doesn't really bother me that much.

Its no worse than shape of water anyhow.:p

Oh totally agree, wouldn't be losing any sleep over it!
    There have been plenty of worse and more forgettable winners over the years, for sure.

I guess it's just weird because I feel like I've watched lots of great stuff this year and then you see these nominations and feel like it doesn't actually reflect a lot of the brilliant work out there.
    But that's the nature of the thing I suppose. Like you say, they're going for the mainstream and safe options most of the time. Don't remember the last time they had a best picture winner I actually agreed with.

To be fair to the Academy, Green Book was such an all-timer of an awful Best Picture choice it’ll be a few years before they can top it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

To be fair to the Academy, Green Book was such an all-timer of an awful Best Picture choice it’ll be a few years before they can top it :pac:
    You can only beat what's up against you. Rocky is great to watch but really shouldn't have won either.

Advertisement