Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Brendan 13/01/20

• 11-01-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭

Orange warning 07:00-23:59 13/01/20
    Galway: southerly winds veering southwesterly will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h, highest in coastal areas. [url][/url]https://www.met.ie/warnings
    high tides ~07:00 & ~19:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Teresa Mannion says:
    "Don't make unnecessary journeys, don't take risks on treacherous roads. And don't swim in the sea.
    Incredibly people have been spotted in the water here in Blackrock in Salthill today and yesterday."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

This could be a very dangerous storm and will last well over 12 hours the tide will be high for this one so flooding is possible again well worth monitoring the storm on the weather section on boards

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058044508

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed. Full moon was yesterday too. Always crazier storms around full moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

High Tides for Galway on Monday 13th Jan are 06:39 & 19:07.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Galway City Council tweeted just now:
    The Promenade in Salthill will close from 7.00pm between Seapoint and Grattan Road and the car-parks at Toft Park and along the Prom will close from 2.00pm on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Psychlops wrote: »
    High Tides for Galway on Monday 13th Jan are 06:39 & 19:07.

And they are about one metre higher than during the last storm.

06.43 5.4 metres
    19.14 5.2 metres

On Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Galway City Council tweeted just now:
    The Promenade in Salthill will close from 7.00pm between Seapoint and Grattan Road and the car-parks at Toft Park and along the Prom will close from 2.00pm on Sunday.

Passed the one opposite the cinema just now, still one lane open and cars driving into park.
    Colour me completely unsurprised at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bredabe wrote: »
    Passed the one opposite the cinema just now, still one lane open and cars driving into park.
    Colour me completely unsurprised at that.

As long as they don't complain when their cars get flooded!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just to say, not sure if the app always had this feature but I feel more up to date than I've ever been since installing it recently and setting up push notifications for warnings. I might have to change the minimum warnings to orange and above. Didn't realise yellows we're issued every single day (recently it seems).

My kids are holding out hope for a red alert to get them out of school tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just to say, not sure if the app always had this feature but I feel more up to date than I've ever been since installing it recently and setting up push notifications for warnings. I might have to change the minimum warnings to orange and above. Didn't realise yellows we're issued every single day (recently it seems).

My kids are holding out hope for a red alert to get them out of school tomorrow.

What app would that be?. I used to have the city council text service but that went quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What app would that be?. I used to have the city council text service but that went quiet.

Met Eireann I'd assume.

Yes sorry, the Met Eireann app. I also had the council text service and same thing happened. Maybe we just need to resubscribe every year? A year ago I discovered them on FB and got the alerts that way. Not the best weather app but worth an install just for the alert push notifications.
    Was going out for drinks in Salthill tomorrow but don't think I'll be leaving the car there overnight this time.

Met Eireann I'd assume.

Yes, it's one of my go to apps. The alerts are great and yes, turn off everything yellow and below

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I have to drive to Dublin airport and back tomorrow from about 11.30am returning about 5.30pm. is it mostly Galway where it is to be bad or is it hitting everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I have to drive to Dublin airport and back tomorrow from about 11.30am returning about 5.30pm. is it mostly Galway where it is to be bad or is it hitting everywhere?

Orange warning countrywide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Any update on the weather locally? Trying to decide if I should send the kids to school as I wont be here to collect them should a red warning be issued and schools close. Does not seem too bad where we are but we are in a bit of a dip and are relatively sheltered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Any update on the weather locally? Trying to decide if I should send the kids to school as I wont be here to collect them should a red warning be issued and schools close. Does not seem too bad where we are but we are in a bit of a dip and are relatively sheltered.

where are you, seem ok Spiddal/Cararoe area, wet and windy, but nothing to scary yet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Advertisement

A friend that lives out in Clifden says the power went & it was the same for a person I work with from the Tuam area.

Advertisement