Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.220 in new license ?

• 07-01-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

im sure i saw a post on this but cant find it.
    got my new license in the post today and i applied for a .22LR and its specifying .220 on the grant letter
    i know that there's a bit of a difference as the .220 is a centrefire cartridge.
    do i call the inspector and get it amended or leave it as is ?
    is it a typo ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Its just their complete lack of understanding of firearms. i wouldnt worry about it. Im pretty sure mine is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Trying to explain this to them would be near impossible.

I have a license for a .22 inch rifle.

I have been authorised in writing use a mod but no S on the license.

All little errors that I'm not overly concerned about but would annoy some.

Probably not worth the hassle but I'm sure some will insist on correcting it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have a license for a .22 inch rifle.
    5.6mm, so covers you for everything from 22lr to 223.
    I have been authorised in writing use a mod but no S on the license.
    This bit should bother you.

With no "S" on the license it means the authorisation is not recorded on PULSE which means comes renewal time when the FCR ask you to tick the box for previous authorisation, you cannot tick it or more accurately if you do there is no record of it on PULSE.

It was for this reason that the authorisation for a suppressor was moved from a letter by your Super to an "S" marked on your license. It records it on PULSE, is immediately "findable" by anyone looking, last for the three years of your firearms license and not just the yearly dates on the letter of authorisation, and finally does not rely on you keeping a bit of paper safe for a year or three (depending on how mong the Super decided to grant the authoorisation for).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭macatac

EoghanS wrote: »
    im sure i saw a post on this but cant find it.
    got my new license in the post today and i applied for a .22LR and its specifying .220 on the grant letter
    i know that there's a bit of a difference as the .220 is a centrefire cartridge.
    do i call the inspector and get it amended or leave it as is ?
    is it a typo ?
    Same happened to me on a .22lr..license came back .220..tried explaining to FO but license came back the same. Only affected me when buying rounds on an NI pass when he brought out swift rounds 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

a .17hmr just says .17, it could be any type of 17. Same as the .22, .22 is the same as .220 or .2200000. Thats just the way it seems to work on their system. They dont use the lettering afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

The 17 is safer than the 22 aswell because it is a smaller bullet and has five less bullets in the magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭EoghanS

update to the fiasco
    spoke to the FO after the supers secretary, confirmed calibre was wrong on their end, still waiting on the new letter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

At least its getting sorted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭EoghanS

So letter received, and low and behold .22LR specified
    im glad i questioned it now !!!!

Advertisement