Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DSD secure Government funding for St. Thomas campus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Bit unfair that DSD would get such a huge grant given they are bankrolled by the womens mini marathon revenue?
    They can already afford to employ a number of people along with having a large turnover and still get a large grant..........

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Bit unfair that DSD would get such a huge grant given they are bankrolled by the womens mini marathon revenue?
    They can already afford to employ a number of people along with having a large turnover and still get a large grant..........

- Grant is awarded between Rathdown CC and DSD given it's a multi sport campus
    - DSD bought and paid for the land separately
    - DSD is one of the largest athletics clubs in the country
    - They are one of the few clubs which can support track and repairs as there books are pretty healthy (As you pointed out WMM is a big source of income for the club

Not to sure why anyone would begrudge this it's a positive step and long term investment as opposed to other venues which have fallen into disrepair (ala the state of Irishtown track in recent years)

Seems to be raining cats and dogs

https://www.cit.ie/currentnews?id=1457

Amazing how much money can go around when it's not paying for Delaney's lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

KSU wrote: »
    - Grant is awarded between Rathdown CC and DSD given it's a multi sport campus
    - DSD bought and paid for the land separately
    - DSD is one of the largest athletics clubs in the country
    - They are one of the few clubs which can support track and repairs as there books are pretty healthy (As you pointed out WMM is a big source of income for the club

Not to sure why anyone would begrudge this it's a positive step and long term investment as opposed to other venues which have fallen into disrepair (ala the state of Irishtown track in recent years)

Is there a link to what exactly is going into the campus.

This means there will be 8 tracks in Dublin, Ringsend, Santry, Donore, Lucan, Tallaght, new UCD track and St Thomas. Not counting the indoor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

KSU wrote: »
    Seems to be raining cats and dogs

https://www.cit.ie/currentnews?id=1457

Amazing how much money can go around when it's not paying for Delaney's lifestyle

Or its an election year!!
    Shane Ross is splashing the money around South Dublin since Xmas and Martin getting in on the act in Cork!!

• Advertisement

Is there a link to what exactly is going into the campus.

This means there will be 8 tracks in Dublin, Ringsend, Santry, Donore, Lucan, Tallaght, new UCD track and St Thomas. Not counting the indoor one.

Think these were the plans approved(there might be an update since then but I haven't seen any)

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/parks/pc-pks-01-19-proposed-development-of-a-running-tra/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great to see this although I think for the development of kids the focus should be building indoor facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I just hope this facility will be open for all athletes to use at a reasonable fee and not for the sole use of DSD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I just hope this facility will be open for all athletes to use at a reasonable fee and not for the sole use of DSD

Depends on what a reasonable fee is, I suppose? The other Dublin publicly owned tracks (e.g Santry, Irishtown, Abbotstown) are available for €5-8 per visit. ALSAA is €10 (officially - I’ll admit I sneaked a few unchallenged free laps on a recent run). Good luck to DSD. Hopefully we’ll have a track in Raheny too at some stage in the future.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Depends on what a reasonable fee is, I suppose? The other Dublin publicly owned tracks (e.g Santry, Irishtown, Abbotstown) are available for €5-8 per visit. ALSAA is €10 (officially - I’ll admit I sneaked a few unchallenged free laps on a recent run). Good luck to DSD. Hopefully we’ll have a track in Raheny too at some stage in the future.

Greystones is €3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Greystones is €3

Ballina is free. Ballybofey €2 I think, and you can have a swim too!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ballina is free. Ballybofey €2 I think, and you can have a swim too!

I think I would prefer to drive to Greystones from Stillorgan for a track workout than Ballina :D

Advertisement