Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2020??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I've only one goal in 2020 - the elusive sub 20 minute 5K.
    Current PB - 20.52 (December 2019)

This should fall this year.

Correction - this WILL fall this year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Ok, 2019 was a good year overall with PBs in all distances excluding Half Marathon. I plateaued towards the end of the year and lost the enthusiasm for running in November/December.

1. Complete two Marathons - Cork & possibly Galway.
    1b. Break past the 3:30 barrier to mid 3:20s (PB 3:32:06)
    2. Do more trail races, I love those MMRA Half Marathon Mugs
    3. Consistently target some sub 20 5K finishes, only 1 so far.
    4. Break 70 mins for 10 Mile,(PB 70:20)
    5. Do a PB for the Half, (1:35:42)
    6. Aim for 2000 miles for the year (1798 for 2019)
    7. Run in different places
    8. Improve on my County 4 Mile Championships position from 2019.

I hope everyone has a great years running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I’m not a serious runner like some of you good folk but here are some of my targets this year, mostly very general:

-More consistent volume of running: planning on joining my first running club on Thursday which should help a lot. Most of my running to date has been on my own so this could be a nice push. Minimum 3 days running from 7, preferably 4.

-More varied running: both pace wise as I have become very one paced recently and also type of run. I’ve joined IMRA for the first time, that should keep me sharp also (just some Munster Trail races, none of the map reading events just yet!)

-Structure to my week: I’ve DCM this year, my second marathon. I hugely enjoyed my first one but I did a very hap hazard 12 week plan and got injured during it. I want to be stronger coming into it next time and complete a 16 week plan. I ran a 1:57 half in the run up last time but my full was only 4:28. I think I have potential to go 15 mins quicker at least in the full.

-Some PBs or at least get close again: Ran a 10k Pb lately but would love to break 50 mins. Also, my 5k just isn’t quick at the moment, breaking into 23s again more regularly would be nice. I have got into the 22s twice before but I highly doubt I’ll do that again unless I lose some weight first. 4.28 in the full is a soft target but would love to take a nice slice off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

corcaigh07 wrote:
    -Structure to my week: I’ve DCM this year, my second marathon. I hugely enjoyed my first one but I did a very hap hazard 12 week plan and got injured during it. I want to be stronger coming into it next time and complete a 16 week plan. I ran a 1:57 half in the run up last time but my full was only 4:28. I think I have potential to go 15 mins quicker at least in the full.

If I was you I'd definitely consider joining the DCM mentored novices thread on here this year. You'll get a plan and a bunch of mentors who will guide you all the way. Best of luck with your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

If I was you I'd definitely consider joining the DCM mentored novices thread on here this year. You'll get a plan and a bunch of mentors who will guide you all the way. Best of luck with your goals.

Thanks Swash, I was part of the 2018 group, it was a big benefit to me in judging training, gels, pacing etc

Will definitely be following it again this year but not going to do the whole “I’m a novice but it’s actually my 2nd marathon” thing some people do. My belief is to keep the thread exclusively to first timers.

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote:
    Thanks Swash, I was part of the 2018 group, it was a big benefit to me in judging training, gels, pacing etc

I knew I recognised the username

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

2019 was a complete write off due to lack of motivation and injury.
    So the goal for 2020 is to get back running.
    Best of luck to everyone in 2020 and I hope you all achieve your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

jake1970 wrote: »
    2019 was a complete write off due to lack of motivation and injury.
    So the goal for 2020 is to get back running.
    Best of luck to everyone in 2020 and I hope you all achieve your goals.

Nice one L. Hopefully will see you out on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I'm kind of reluctant to write up much of a target for this year as I'm forever battling off ankle/groin niggles. Feel it coming on again now. I've signed up for Dublin Marathon and if things go well I'll do a spring one too as training for it, with a view to attempting a PB.

Anyhow here's a breakdown of what I think is manageable.

5k - 17:20
    10k - sub36
    Half - 1:20:xx
    Marathon - 2:49 (depending on being able to get to Dublin, I'll not do that in Spring).

Good luck everyone, good to be keeping in touch. Look forward to more arguments over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Was in two minds whether to post goals for 2020 given the second half of the year I've had! But here goes.

No time related goals for 2020. What will be will be...

1. Most important goal is getting back to consistency. 6 days a week. One long, two sessions. Training since July of this year has been far too inconsistent, partly due to injuries/niggles but also due to the new arrival in the house :)

2. To stop chasing fitness. What this means for me is concentrating on not overcooking the training. I looked back on some of the training from June/July and it was way too aggressive, hence the injury problems. Undercook rather than overcook works better for me. I should have taken Lukes advice at the time - progressing both sessions every week isn't necessarily the best approach especially for someone with the lower cross issues I've had.

3. Keep an eye on that work/life/running balance. Again, towards the end of this year I was guilty of trying to manage all three ramping at the same time. So when life/work ramps, the intensity of the training needs to scale back. Easier said than done.

Someone has been copying there homework :D

Definitely taking a different tact with this one

- Run with Company at least 3 times a month

Terrible for this as of late and need to get back to making running social able and not simply running in isolation

- Get a 300 mile month

Would signal being back to a level of consistency I want

PB

I want a PB of some kind by the end of the year. 2019 marked the first year in over 20 I have failed to hit one of some sort in a calendar year.

Coaching
    Seems to be going global this year for the first half anyway

Goal A: 2 x top 3 international performances
    Goal B: 3 x PB's

Ideally would be happy to come out of 5 target races with PB's from 4 athletes currently working with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

KSU wrote: »
    Someone has been copying there homework :D

Definitely taking a different tact with this one

- Run with Company at least 3 times a month

Terrible for this as of late and need to get back to making running social able and not simply running in isolation

- Get a 300 mile month

Would signal being back to a level of consistency I want

PB

I want a PB of some kind by the end of the year. 2019 marked the first year in over 20 I have failed to hit one of some sort in a calendar year.

Coaching
    Seems to be going global this year for the first half anyway

Goal A: 2 x top 3 international performances
    Goal B: 3 x PB's

Ideally would be happy to come out of 5 target races with PB's from 4 athletes currently working with

On the last bit, your responsible for a hell of a lot of PB’s around this place that you don’t take credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

OOnegative wrote: »
    On the last bit, your responsible for a hell of a lot of PB’s around this place that you don’t take credit for.

To be fair while advice is given sometimes ultimately it's a person's interpretation of that advice and implementation that ultimately determines it's benefit so in that mind credit is not due to me.

Advice or sessions etc meaningless tools in isolation it's how they are put together that determine how useful they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

KSU wrote: »
    To be fair while advice is given sometimes ultimately it's a person's interpretation of that advice and implementation that ultimately determines it's benefit so in that mind credit is not due to me.

Advice or sessions etc meaningless tools in isolation it's how they are put together that determine how useful they are.

Not what I meant but I get what you’re saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I haven't had any goals for a couple of years but it's time get back up on the horse that so mercilessly flung me off in 2015.

1) continue with knee rehab - I can run on it but need to do a lot of strengthening to ensure no long term damage
    2) Get back to regular running - starting in February I'll have the chance to regularly run again, start slowly, build time on feet, expand to add more days per week (slowly)
    3) Build to a max of 4 runs per week, one to be tempo/progression/hills, all done on HR
    4) Take part in the Cork marathon relay and run well (not just jogging around)
    5) Selectively pick a few goal races to 'target', no longer than 10k in distance including 2 trail events
    6) Enjoy getting back to running regularly :)

Not very lofty but it's a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

healy1835 wrote: »
    Nice one L. Hopefully will see you out on the roads.

Hopefully J, I will be the guy running very slowlysmile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Not sure how often, if at all, I'll get to race certain distances but I'll stick something down for most to try and give me some sort of motivation:

5k: 17.29
    5m: 29.59
    10k: 36.59
    10m: 61.59
    HM: 79.59
    Marathon: 2.52.59

Most likely talking rubbish as usual but will try make a good effort on nutrition and diet. 2160 miles last year so I'll aim for 2200 in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Looking ahead for the coming year I have a few running and race goals:

Achieve a better level of consistency through the full year. Really lost motivation after my last race of 2019 in November.

Actually race a 5k, hell maybe even push the boat out and race a 10k too. Kinda stupid that I haven’t raced either distance yet.

Have signed up for a couple of HM in the spring. Get a PB and go sub 85 mins.

Get a PB (current 3:13:51) in Dublin marathon. This is going to be tough but hopefully will be carrying more mileage into this years one and a time will follow suit.

And finally, actually meet some fellow A/R boardsies at some race down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Sub 4 hour Marathon is the end goal.

Other then that, I want to get consistent elsewhere.

I have done a sub 25min 5k and a 50min 10k but always feel too much based on luck and how I feel on the day. I want to be able to do those times on the trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭whatnext

I started out on a few 5k runs last year. I have multi faceted goals for 2020, obviously interlinked. Firstly I need to lose the 5kg rucksack around my waist (it was 10kg), everything will be easier when I'm not carrying that around with me.

Targets:
    5k 21:00 PB 22:44 (I'll really be pushing for 20:00 but have to be realistic)
    I'll be going all out for the Bob Heffernan 5k

10k 49:59 PB 54:22 (Based on my current 5k time I feel I should aim for 48:00)
    Haven't picked a race yet, but will be later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

- sub 18:00 5k (soft PB: 18:47)
    - sub 5:00 mile (PB: 5:02)
    - if I get my mile target then I might try and set a time for the 800 after that. Target of 2:20 maybe

- sub 18:00 5k (soft PB: 18:47) 17:51

That blasted mile target needs to fall next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Only started running in late January and had zero goals but to actually get out and run ,
    Now that has turned into goals,

5k PB is 22:30 so sub 21 ,
    10k PB is 45:10 so sub 42

I'm yet to do 20k so any time there will do ,Hoping to have a crack at it next month ,

Then next year do a marathon ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Not a great showing for me in 2019 run wise, several periods of "mild injury" didn't help, still ill put down a few number and see where we get to in 2020.

1. Mile - Will have a good go at this in the Raheny open mile in April. Anything 5:45 would be a good result.
    2. Parkrun hit my 100 park run (some Saturday in Feb).
    3. Parkrun try to hit 19:59 - hopefully around May / June ?
    4. 5 mile - Anything low 33 and id be delighted.
    5. 10m - Again sub 69 would be a good result,
    6. Half, sub 1:33 ?

Bar the above stay positive and try to get in another "mostly" injury free year...

Just seen the this tread popup again, and decided to see what i put down, way back in Jan...

1. Ran 5:45 in the recently completed Lock-down league 1 miler. Ran this effort on the Wade avenue loop which is probably 2-3 second slower that the St Anne's Avenue. So delighted with that. - DONE...

2. Currently sitting on 100 Parkruns and have been since 24 Feb. - DONE

3. Did run a time trial 5k on the St Annes route week before last with a few of the lads and ran 20:22. Probably could have got a few more seconds out of it, but 23 sec ??? I will give this a good go maybe august and see where I'm at ?

4. A low 33m for 5 miles now, I recon a sub 33 is well possible by 33:2X ? not sure sure about that at the moment. I might give this a blast on Thursday evening, on the old Raheny 5 course and have a look see :)

5. 10 mile. Difficult to say without a proper race. TT for the shorter stuff is fine, however anything over 5 miles and it become difficult to maintain pace when the going gets tough. Possibly we have have some real 10m races before it gets to late in the year. Did run a Battle of Clontarf back in early April in 72mins, and was happy.

6. Half ??? no point in dreaming... :)

1. Most important goal is getting back to consistency. 6 days a week. One long, two sessions. Training since July of this year has been far too inconsistent, partly due to injuries/niggles but also due to the new arrival in the house

Tick
    2. To stop chasing fitness. What this means for me is concentrating on not overcooking the training. I looked back on some of the training from June/July and it was way too aggressive, hence the injury problems. Undercook rather than overcook works better for me. I should have taken Lukes advice at the time - progressing both sessions every week isn't necessarily the best approach especially for someone with the lower cross issues I've had.

Tick
    3. Keep an eye on that work/life/running balance. Again, towards the end of this year I was guilty of trying to manage all three ramping at the same time. So when life/work ramps, the intensity of the training needs to scale back. Easier said than done.

Kinda tick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

2020: continue to put one foot in front of the other!

TbL

2021-2050: sub 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

IvoryTower wrote: »
    400m - 54s

800m indoor - 2.06

800m outdoor - 2.03

1500 - race my first one

Mile - sub 5

5k - 18.30 ...doubtful tbh

Lets gooooooooooooo

400m - 53 indoor

800m -indoor 2.01

800 - outdoor - tbc

1500 - still haven't raced one and its looking like 2021

Mile - went sub 5 in time trials, should get this before Christmas, maybe griffith mile if its on

5k - 18.09 time trial, rathfarnham or jingle bells should do it no bother

A good year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Treviso wrote: »
    Have a couple of goals for 2020, to improve on all my race PBs from 2019, and actually race some other distances too (4 mile, 5 mile, 10k)

5k: sub 19 (PB 19.24)
    10k: sub 41 (not raced yet but 43.53 from a HM)
    10 mile: sub 70 (PB 74.31)
    HM: sub 90 (PB 93.39)
    DCM: sub 3.15 (PB 3.26.32)

Hope to do 2000 miles as well next year and maybe join a running club

5k: Official race - 18:46. Boards TT - 17:46 on a short looped course. Goal is to match this time in a proper 5k race

10k: TT at the weekend - 38:43

10m: Dungarvan 10 - 66.01. Hope to beat this in a TT in 2 weeks time

HM: Please let Charleville HM go ahead!

DCM: 2021.....

Over half way to 2000 miles so should reach that barring injury. Joined a club too. Not too shabby considering what's gone on so far in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

jamule wrote: »
    Try to survive another year, improve a little.

A few random times to aim for-

3km- <10min
    5km- 17:10
    10Km- 36:10
    5m-29min
    10mile-1hr
    1/2-1.21

I'm still alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

event wrote: »
    5k - Sub 21:00 (PB 21:18, set in November during a 10k)
    10k - Sub 42:00 (PB 43:01, same 10k as above)
    Half - Sub 1:38 (PB 1:38:58)
    Full - Sub 3:43 (PB 3:43:22). PB was set in 2015 when I had been running all year. In October I ran 3:43:43 with only 16 weeks of marathon training so confident I can do it this year. No injuries in 2019 though, so will depend on that

So no. None of these :pac:

I did do the 4/4/48 challenge though so proud of that

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

Managed to run a sub 4 hour 26.2 miles on my own around Ashbourne. No gels, only water and a banana. DCM might be cancelled but Clonakilty is looking promising for November!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

I've basically missed the past 2 years with injuries so I suppose the main goal is just to get out and run as much as possible. If I could get back close to my pb's that would be brilliant

1m..... 6 minutes
    5k.....20.05
    5m....35.27
    10k....45.34
    10m ...1.12.44

I'm also going to do a marathon this year. No goal time yet, until I see how the running goes

Less than 200k done for the year so far. Very disappointed. I did do just under 7 minutes for the Boards 1m TT, but because I hadn't trained properly I aggravated my tendon. So not running again

Advertisement