Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Govt. plans on petrol and diesels.

• 06-01-2020 8:40pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like election promises are being trotted out early.

RTE news this evening, Richard Bruton said the government is planning to stop
    NCT Testing of petrol and Diesel cars by 2045, presuming you wont be allowed to drive them, only electric vehicles:rolleyes:

or classics only:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

So are we voting for this Government again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Electric cars will probably be banned by then . We'll be driving cars powered by our own farts and taxed for the methane we put into the stratosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Electric cars will probably be banned by then . We'll be driving cars powered by our own farts and taxed for the methane we put into the stratosphere

Don't believe everything you hear .. instant travel via teleportation is what's next.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kadman wrote: »

NCT Testing of petrol and Diesel cars by 2045, presuming you wont be allowed to drive them, only electric vehicles:rolleyes:

or classics only:D:D:D

Are you saying that that's unachievable? Or undesirable? Or unrealistic?

Or is it something you don't agree with?

25 years from now is a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Plans change, wouldn't pay much heed to anything they say, -10 years ago they were going to push everyone into growing bio-diesel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

lawred2 wrote: »
    Are you saying that that's unachievable? Or undesirable? Or unrealistic?

Or is it something you don't agree with?

25 years from now is a long time.

Well they did not say they were banning classics.....yet.

So whoopieeee:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

We'll just have to buy vans then....:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Long term election guff.

People will say what they think people want to hear, knowing full well they'll already be drawing their pension when none of it comes to pass.

Until some government coughs up a few billion to put (working) charging ports all over the country they're talking fantasy. Given they can't even provide broadband that's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I call BS on this....more green Greta Thumbjob crap....how dare me....:p

But Richard looked so convincing when he was moving his lips:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

Yep, moving lips always signifies a politician is lying

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 32,957 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is a real easy one for the Gov...sound like they are down with Greta and the green folk, might buy themselves a few extra votes.

Despite the fact that they are talking about something 25yrs away, and we all know that something they have planned for the next 6 months will likely change, so do you really think this has any merit at all?

You might well believe it if you believe in the tooth fairy.

Politicians telling porkies:eek::eek::eek:.....wash your mouth out:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The present set of conmen will be farting and burping in the Senate, so this is just virtue signalling. Now, I did once read of an owner of a large ex police Wolseley with no engine that was converted to run on electricity, and some early cars were electric.

The present set of conmen will be farting and burping in the Senate, so this is just virtue signalling. Now, I did once read of an owner of a large ex police Wolseley with no engine that was converted to run on electricity, and some early cars were electric.

I considered converting my beetle to electric, but the kit cost of 16k
    made it a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,192 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think a good case could be made to allow classic/vintage cars to continue in use on the road.
    They already have different tax/NCT arrangements to under 30 year old cars.

Putting electric motors into old cars is an interesting idea and fine if someone wants to do it but it will affect the value.
    For some cars originality is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kadman wrote: »

NCT Testing of petrol and Diesel cars by 2045

This isn't news, it was announced a year or two ago that no internal combustion engine (ICE) car will pass an NCT test from 01/01/2046

Presuming the vintage system remains unchanged, this means that ICE cars from 2006 and later will never be classic cars and will not be allowed on the public roads from 01/01/2046. The good news is that any car registered at the latest on 31/12/2005 will!

Best start hoarding up all the worthy youngtimers now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

Jesus christ...ya have that clown of a transport minister taxing the **** out of petrol and diesel cars and pushing electric cars, and then the ESB strike up that they ain't gonna have enough electricity for the next few years anyway.

Just need an elephant and we'd have a full circus.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

I suspect their will be an uptake in the number of people buying horses for transportation in the near future. It is clear as day that all this change will hit the middle and lower class very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭amber2

Slightly ot but Went walking to a local wind farm the other day, not a windy day but there was certainly a wind there on the mountain and every turbine was switched off, not one turbine blade was moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Pony and a sulky for me. The luxury one with some sort of a roof in case of rain. I will refill in my front garden and no need for tax and insurance not to mention NCT.

OK Boss?

Advertisement