Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WifeWatch

Options
  • 24-12-2019 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Ooooookay, wife's birthday soon and for the first time in her life she's paid attention to my ramblings and decided that she'd like a nice watch. Happy to go second hand. From the few photos I've shown her she seems to like the following criteria ;

Stainless steel round case (but also liked rectangular) , not averse to a small bit of gold colour.
    Simple face, no stones, with major numbers.
    Stainless bracelet (or non leather)
    Every day wear.
    Automatic (my choice, she hasn't a notion either way)

Budget of around 500 to 700.
    I'm new enough to watches and frankly haven't a clue about the female varieties, so all advice appreciated (except for the 'increase your budget' variety).

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What size would she like? My wife has been wearing a Steinhart diver for the past 2 years.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Automatic (my choice, she hasn't a notion either way)
    I'd not rule out quartz S. There's a reason even the very top end Cartier and Patek ladies watches are nearly all quartz. Even with all the heavy duty Swiss marketing of mechanical movements have Soul(tm) back in the 90's, women didn't buy into it nearly as much as men. It seems women wanted the quality, even luxurious cases, bracelets and dials minus the faffing about with setting, winding and ongoing(and pricey) maintenance of mechanical movements. Wear and go and can be left in a jewellery box for months without needing any attention to just go out and wear. They'll also tend to be cheaper too, though the manufacturers cost between a high end quartz and base model mechanical movement isn't nearly so large as the end price would suggest. Just a thought.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'm beginning to realise that, based on the tiny amount of women's automatics available anywhere. I think I'll have to broaden the search alright. Just veggie I do though, what's the thoughts on Empress watches from the US? Seems like a bargain here, if it's genuine?

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/empress-ladies-watch/19097306

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

That title is very misleading.
    I came in here expecting a very different type of thread... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I would definitely get quartz for the reasons Wibbs mentioned. Most women aren't interested in automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Put "ladies watch" into chrono24 with max of 700 (chrono24 tends to have prices on high side anyway):
    https://www.chrono24.com/search/index.htm?dosearch=true&maxAgeInDays=0&pageSize=60&priceFrom=0&priceTo=700&query=ladies+watch&redirectToSearchIndex=true&sortorder=0

Some of the ones that pop out to me include:
    2nd hand Rado quartz
    https://www.chrono24.com/rado/diastar-ladies-2000-luxury-tungsten-and-stainless-st-quartz-dress-watch-w15--id10852192.htm?SETLANG=en_US&SETCURR=EUR

New Rado quartz
    https://www.chrono24.com/rado/hypercrome-diamond-stainless-steel-quartz-ladies-watch-r32975712--id10540811.htm

New Movado quartz
    https://www.chrono24.com/movado/modern-classic-quartz-movement-black-dial-ladies-watch-0607134--id13267443.htm

If you have to go automatic (I second Wibbs - there's a lot to be said for going quartz for the ladies - my wife hands me her Seamaster to set the time/date every time she picks it up - whereas her Cartier (Ballon Bleu) she just puts on and goes - and this is after a long time convincing her of how fun the little gears turning around in a watch can be) here are some that appealed to me (from a female wear point of view):

Hamilton Jezzmaster (should it not be jazzmaster? :D)
    https://www.chrono24.com/hamilton/hamilton-ladies-h42225151-jezzmaster-watch--id12402247.htm

Mido baroncelli
    https://www.chrono24.com/mido/mido-ladies-m0072071103800-baroncelli-watch--id10994679.htm

And for my random pick:
    Tiffany & Co manual wind(!) 14k gold watch:
    https://www.chrono24.com/tiffany/ladies--classic-14k-yellow-gold-27mm-mechanical--id13268654.htm

Obviously it's pre-worn and it's a manual wind watch (my wife sometimes wears my speedmaster...never remembers to wind it though :D )
    Buuut... Tiffany
    1) is Tiffany (ladies love it as a brand - go them and their marketing)
    2) have watch pedigree actually - they partnered with Patek for some time (not sure if they still do currently).

A random one for sure and highly down to individual tastes but I'm sure someone will like that Tiffany watch.

Thanks folks, that's eased my mind about quartz and definitely opens up the market for me. I'm in the process of showing her different styles to try and narrow down the choice. That chrono site is very helpful.

@Thirdfox, she's fallen for that used Rado, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

I bought my wife a beautiful automatic ladies Tag about 10 years ago. It had the one of the nicest coloured dials that I had seen at that price point.
    She never enjoyed it, just moaned about the timekeeping and setting the time when she had not worn it in a few days, it went back to Tag on 3 occasions.

All she has now is quartz. Get a quartz.

They have some new Rados on sale in Kildare Village at the moment (Hour Passion) - in around the 500-700 range and seems like full ceramic bracelet (pretty much won't scratch up like stainless steel).

Excellent, I'm passing by there in a few days' time too.

• Advertisement

Excellent, I'm passing by there in a few days' time too.

Hopefully you'll have the wife in tow - with watches it can be a very personal thing if someone likes a particular look or not. Plus people can say they like a particular feature/look and then once seen in the flesh they might love something else entirely :D

But a Rado that has a rrp of 2100-1500 for 600ish might work a treat for the wifey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Would she consider Longines.?

As a woman I really dislike the rectangular Rados.

Saw these 2 in Fields...sorry just spotted might be outside budget.

Also "a treat for the wifey'........just ugh.

I really like this one.

When you join their privilege club you get 10-15% off.

anewme wrote: »

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=work+a+treat+meaning

:p

Thirdfox wrote: »

Great...tell us what the official definition of “wifey” is?

I’ll save you the bother

Wifey: a condescending way of referring to a person's wife.

Great...tell us what the official definition of “wifey” is?

I’ll save you the bother

Wifey: a condescending way of referring to a person's wife.

You might want to enter the 21st century in terms of your usage of the English language:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wifey

Especially pertinent is the example quoted by Merriam Webster in terms of usage (from 2019 not 1900)

So let me throw that "urgh" right back at you in terms of English comprehension ;)

Thirdfox wrote: »
    You might want to enter the 21st century in terms of your usage of the English language:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wifey

Especially pertinent is the example quoted by Merriam Webster in terms of usage (from 2019 not 1900)

So let me throw that "urgh" right back at you in terms of English comprehension ;)

I prefer to use Oxford and Collins as references.

it wouldn’t really be acceptable in 2019 refer to anyone as “the wifey” in company as many people would find it a patronising term used by cringey Alan Partridge types.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe let's drift back to the topic folks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There's always a good few Longines in hour passion Kildare Village too. With decent prices and room for negotiation. Might be of use to you SmartinMartin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Aquaracer Quartz, buy it and forget about it she'll just wear it everyday. You'll need to do a bit of shopping around but might pull in one not a million miles off budget.

• Advertisement

Aquaracer would be my choice too, so I'm doing as suggested and calling in to kildare to have her look at and try on a few. She's finding it difficult to judge from photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

For some reason every woman I know, knows of the longines brand and like the watches they make. That's why I bought my wife one and she loves it.

https://www.fields.ie/gifts/longines-la-grande-classique-ladies-gold-tone-bracelet-watch

The Longines La Grande Classique 24mm gold and I have to say it's a beautiful looking dress/everybody watch for a lady. I wanted to get an automatic to but it as bulkier and not as nice as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

2shea wrote: »
    For some reason every woman I know, knows of the longines brand and like the watches they make. That's why I bought my wife one and she loves it.

https://www.fields.ie/gifts/longines-la-grande-classique-ladies-gold-tone-bracelet-watch

The Longines La Grande Classique 24mm gold and I have to say it's a beautiful looking dress/everybody watch for a lady. I wanted to get an automatic to but it as bulkier and not as nice as this.

Thank God they have moved on from Michael Kors.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Thank God they have moved on from Michael Kors.

Big difference between Longines and MK, in my opinion.

Well, after all the viewings and chasing down different models/photos, she changed her mind (as is her wont), having seen a friend's watch this is what she wants :

https://weirandsons.ie/ladies-raymond-weil-tango-steel-yellow-tone-bracelet-watch.html

So decision made, at least it'll be her fault in the future.
    Thanks for all the input.

I was also going to suggest RW as I've got a Tango as my day watch too.

Lovely choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I was talking about the ubiquity of them is all, seen as a status watch. Jeez, nothing personal.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I was talking about the ubiquity of them is all, seen as a status watch. Jeez, nothing personal.

Not taken personal at all.

Not sure why you'd think women would see MK as a status watch though.?

I don't think men see them as status watches either.

High fashion products.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Not in my wifes opinion. Bought her a lovely Longines for Christmas a couple of years ago. Needless to say she didn't appreciate it. Brought it back to the Jewellers and bought her a rose gold MK that was on sale and spent the remainder on myself.

She's an interest in fashion, not watches so I should have bought her the MK in the first place :eek:

• Advertisement

oxocube wrote: »
    She's an interest in fashion, not watches so I should have bought her the MK in the first place :eek:

That's my point exactly. MK are a high fashion brand for all their products, watches, bags, etc.

Not sure if they are still as popular as they were though, these fast moving brands fall from grace quick enough.

Advertisement