Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Six Nations Build up.

• 05-01-2020 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭

Now that the xmas nonsense is over with

Copied this from another thread as it's more relevant
    thebaz wrote: »
    Why did Joe not factor in giving Cooney a decent run in the 6 Nations, for an out of sorts Murray, rather than 5 minute cameos ?? these excuses were trotted out as Ireland stuttered around the WC in Japan, with many including Joe believing these undroppables would play themselves back into form, needless to say it never happened

The big problem is everyone in the squad knew Murray's form was awful and he was still walking into the team and playing 70+ minutes, so in some way im convinced complacency set in.

For the Scotland game I would like to see AF make some big calls. Even if it's only for one or two games, it sends a message. If Murray's form is still off, send him back to Munster for a few games in the pro14

Healy Herring Furlong Ryan Henderson Ruddock VDF Deegan
    Cooney Byrne Stockdale McCloskey Ringrose Conway Larmour

Bench - Kilcoyne Kelleher Porter Toner Stander McGrath Carbery Addison

One or two players will have to be picked based on injuries elsewhere

If Kelleher is not fit then Cronin or Scannell slot in
    Half backs options are limited

I really dont wanted to see a tried and trusted, credit in the bank selection. Yes they can grind out a win over Scotland in Dublin but they are not they only ones. I also hope we see a far more open style of play. Nothing overly risky but a move away from a dependency on box kicks and one out runners standing still.

Think the tournament is wide open between Ireland Wales France and England. Away wins will determine the championship. France with an organised defence under Edwards will be interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't think there'll be as many big selection changes as people want/expect.

Farrell's been in the setup for the last 3 years, it's not a completely clean slate where the players don't have a previous reputation with the coach etc. He'll have seen the work players have put in during international camps and the way they train. There's a good chance he just sticks with the status quo and drip feeds players in. Personally hope he doesn't but just looking at it from a logical point of view.

I will say one thing though, it'll probably be the most exciting squad announcement and then team selection we've had in quite some time, regardless of the direction he goes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I don't think there'll be as many big selection changes as people want/expect.

Farrell's been in the setup for the last 3 years, it's not a completely clean slate where the players don't have a previous reputation with the coach etc. He'll have seen the work players have put in during international camps and the way they train. There's a good chance he just sticks with the status quo and drip feeds players in. Personally hope he doesn't but just looking at it from a logical point of view.

I will say one thing though, it'll probably be the most exciting squad announcement and then team selection we've had in quite some time, regardless of the direction he goes in.

I don't think we need wholesale changes, just make 3 or 4 form choices especially in backrow and at half back. Im hoping we will at the very least look to be a bit more expansive, let the players play with a bit more freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I don't think we need wholesale changes, just make 3 or 4 form choices especially in backrow and at half back. Im hoping we will at the very least look to be a bit more expansive, let the players play with a bit more freedom.

The biggest calls are 9/10.

The rest of the team will have some changes but unlikely anyone will be too shocked eg new hooker, new 15, some combination of back rows (that have played for the senior team before) depending on whos fit..

Leo Cullen has said he hopes Sexton will be back for Leinster for the Treviso game, we could still be in for a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Looking forward to watching France this year, hoping this is the season they finally start putting it together. They have some fantastic players coming through, their backline with Dupont, Ntamack , Fickou, Huget and Peneud is glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭scott1974

Things people say at the start of every 6 nations....it usually lasts about 46 minutes...

Looking forward to watching France this year, hoping this is the season they finally start putting it together. They have some fantastic players coming through, their backline with Dupont, Ntamack , Fickou, Huget and Peneud is glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

scott1974 wrote: »
    Things people say at the start of every 6 nations....it usually lasts about 46 minutes...

Dunno, I think this season could mark a genuine turning point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

Leo Cullen has said he hopes Sexton will be back for Leinster for the Treviso game, we could still be in for a surprise.

Good news but I must admit I wouldn't be heartbroken to see Sexton sit this years 6N. Curious to see what the Ireland team would be like without him at this stage, we'll have to at sooner or later, and better now then 2 years into a the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭scott1974

Dunno, I think this season could mark a genuine turning point.

Maybe but it's the hope that kills you!

England are huge favourites this year unsurprisingly. They have us and the Welsh at home. The rest away. Am unlikely banana skin against France in Paris. If they can a muster 75% of their world cup form, they'll walk a grand slam.

• Advertisement

Fixtures with my anticipated results:

Week 1
    Wales v Italy (Wales)
    Ireland v Scotland (Ireland)
    France v England (England)

Week 2
    Ireland v Wales (Ireland)
    Scotland v England (England)
    France v Italy (France)

Week 3
    Italy v Scotland (Italy)
    Wales v France (Wales)
    England v Ireland (England) This is the grand slam decider for England, Ireland odds for Championship if we win

Week 4
    Ireland v Italy (Ireland)
    England v Wales (England)
    Scotland v France (France)

Week 5
    Wales v Scotland (Wales)
    Italy v England (England)
    France v Ireland (Ireland)

England haven't always been consistent under Jones but I expect they'll do the grand slam this year. France opening weekend could rattle them though, France have been worse than they are and won that game so who knows. I recall a late Ficou try handing this exact opening round fixture to France a few seasons ago.

If we beat England then we're in good shape for the championship I reckon but France away the final weekend will be a battle - a grand slam the reward.

Scotland will get the wooden spoon having been obliterated the opening two weekends and Italy will do to them what they did to us in 2013.

Wales will struggle under Pivac, the regions are dire this year and I just don't think they have the players anymore.

England will be desperate for a win after losing the WC, the only thing against them is the question of whether their squad will be fully recovered after the prolonged campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Should be interesting. I would expect England to win! For us, a run of good play with 3 wins would be ideal. I'm actually hoping that Sexton misses out on a couple of matches, so someone else gets a run! With the world cup disaster in the rearview mirror, a fresh approach would be welcome.

Advertisement