Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When's calving starting 2020

• 05-01-2020 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭

Have a couple of heifers springing at the minute. Thought it would be a couple of weeks before there would be any calves . Trying to get everything organized. Wont be any cows calving until the end of the month. So when is calving starting for everyone else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

Paddys day i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have a couple of heifers springing at the minute. Thought it would be a couple of weeks before there would be any calves . Trying to get everything organized. Wont be any cows calving until the end of the month. So when is calving starting for everyone else

First one due 06/02 according to icbf but as per usual they’ll start dropping last few days jan ,

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

6 Mar first due, 2 heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

1st of April for the majority. Had one calve last night, down with milk fever but up now. Last of the autumn calvers (3) slowly making their way late spring calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

had 2 last weekend... 1 tues... 25 since thurs evening.... always start Jan 1st.... 7 heifers:rolleyes: one of them from a heifer that kept to sexed semen... if i had my way id scrap A.I. and go with bulls... used sexed on heifers... would have more heifers i think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Feb 1st is the first due date so whenever they start

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

25/1 -onwards still milking lates , not looking forward to it yet !
    I’m lazy as sin over Xmas !

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

2 down 50 more to go before 28 March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

27th of jan.
    Have a 2 heifers due on 6th and 8th of feb springing though and a few early Feb cows.
    Still have 80 or so tails to clip, fencing and calf shed to get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Have a HEx heifer that I bought in as a calf in February and put her treble suckling on Daisy - our old Jersey cow. She never showed any signs of bulling and tbh I thought that she must be a free martin even though her teats and vulva/hairs looked normal.

I have her in a pen for the Winter with Daisy, the two Shorthorns and a runt of a AAx bull that I put on onto Daisy after the other three were weaned. A neighbour called for a bale of straw on Friday, stood looking at them for a while and remarked to OH how the HEx heifer was well in calf as he could see the calf moving in her.

I'd written her off as a free martin and haven't taken much notice of her since. I'm in my place since Thursday and won't get too see her until Tuesday.

A pic of her after she was weaned off Daisy -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭visatorro

Not long finished autumn batch. Middle of Feb according to the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

3 the 1st week of March.🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I reckon 3 weeks. No scan or bulling date for the first and she’s mud fat so there could be work. Few days into giving minerals, gotta look about straw soon have enough to do the first 5/6. Silly season.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

27 of jan all calved i 11 weeks or so

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A heifer calved this morning. Ugh not in the humour for this yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

10th of feb till the 10th of April here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

7th February here but we'll have 3 or 4 milking at the end of January. In one way I'm looking forward to it for a bit of structure to the day:rolleyes:

7th February here but we'll have 3 or 4 milking at the end of January. In one way I'm looking forward to it for a bit of structure to the day:rolleyes:

Back to work probably today and I'm heading off tomorrow evening then to the IGA conference!
    Concrete lads supposed to arrive this week to get walls and floor in for a new calf shed. Hoping to have the feeder in before calves start coming in 2 weeks or so. We've lots of fencing yo do aswell..wont be long coming around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Back to work probably today and I'm heading off tomorrow evening then to the IGA conference!
    Concrete lads supposed to arrive this week to get walls and floor in for a new calf shed. Hoping to have the feeder in before calves start coming in 2 weeks or so. We've lots of fencing yo do aswell..wont be long coming around

Just as soon as you reach the end of it, you have to start back replacing it again:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭High bike

23rd Jan here by the AI docket but prob nearer 1st of Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Two calved before the christmas, one this month and rest from next month.
    First year for a few years chancing charlaois on a few of the bigger cows. Using fiston.
    Easy calving i've heard
    Anyone ever have any bother with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Omallep2

RD10 wrote: »
    First year for a few years chancing charlaois on a few of the bigger cows. Using fiston.
    Easy calving i've heard

I've used Fiston without issue. I also have a few cows from him and although not the milkiest they are doing a good job and are docile.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

RD10 wrote: »
    Easy calving i've heard

Used him on a good 2nd calver last yr, bit if a pull with the Jack, but nothing serious. Nice bull calf off him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

At home we've nothing calving until the end of March, putting in data at work today & 90% held to first service so about 350 to calve in March.
    Be grand :pac::D

At home we've nothing calving until the end of March, putting in data at work today & 90% held to first service so about 350 to calve in March.
    Be grand :pac::D

Book your holidays for March

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

whelan2 wrote: »
    Book your holidays for March

Not allowed! June will do me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

3rd week of January here.

What disinfectant are people using in the sheds beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

Dunedin wrote: »

Kilcox extra.

• Advertisement

Dunedin wrote: »

Fairy liquid:) no I use interkokask

Advertisement