Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enjoy the silence....

• 04-01-2020 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Miss Elizabeth

I saw something today and it made me think of film scenes with no dialogue or very little of it.

The first one that comes to my mind is the lift scene in Drive. Its a very intense and striking (no pun intended) scene. Having no dialogue or even background music in this case, it really draws in your attention.

Another one I'm thinking of is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I haven't watched it all but I remember the opening scene.

I recall a lot of long silent moments in Lost in Translation too portraying the sexual tension between the two main characters.

Sorry I cant post videos. Anyway obviously irl, we have these quiet moments all the time. I'm not thinking of complete silence but use of it or very little to no dialogue in specific scenes. Any other quiet scenes that stand out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The start of There will be Blood.

Hell of High Water is bit of a quiet film too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Hunger by Steve McQueen, almost no dialogue until the one shot dialogue scene

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 As I was saying...

Didn't think much of the film, but Zero Dark Thirty has a very effective twenty-minute scene towards the end which shows the raid on bin Laden's compound without any dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Gerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Start of Wall-e is very well done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I know it's not the same cos it's a TV show but Mr Robot did an excellent episode this season (it's final season) where...
    (following a recap) it begins with 'It's cool dude, we don't have to talk'
    no dialogue after that..
    and then about 45 minutes later.. just as the episodes ends..
    'It's time we talked'

It was really cool. Trailer here but doesn't really give it away:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Valhalla Rising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Le Quattro Volte

• The heist scene in Rififi (1955) has no dialogue for a half-hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are long sections of Heat (1995) with little or no dialogue, such as the downtown LA shootout and the final shootout.

PS: the film is 25 years old this year. I cannot believe it. It has not aged a bit :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

An old favourite of mine that's dialogueless for long stretches is Conan the Barbarian. For example, I love the music, lighting and set design in this early scene in which Conan (freshly escaped from slavery) finds a sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYeCNIzyLFc

There's a real sense of awe and wonder. The build up is so patient compared to the empty frenetic pace of many modern action movies.

Another example from the same movie is one of the opening scenes, a devastating raid on Conan's childhood home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEp76ppPc8o

Again, it's patient, letting the almost operatic score (from Poledouris who also scored Robocop and The Hunt for Red October) set the mood and build tension. It's two minutes before a weapon is used in anger. There's one line of dialogue in the four minute scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Les Diaboliques: The ending is almost silent (AFAIR) and riveting!

The Ray Milland film "The Thief" has no dialogue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

A Quiet Place - for obvious plot purposes. When someone does speak, you nearly tell them to be quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I find the hanging scene in 12 Years A Slave fairly striking

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Lighthhouse scene in Annihilation, creepy as fook too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The final shot in Call Me By Your Name. Mesmerising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonny!

Advertisement