Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firing .22 LR in 22Magnum

• 04-01-2020 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

As the title says. Can the humble 22 lr be fired in a magnum chamber and barrel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Don't do it. The .22lr case has a smaller diameter than that of the .22 magnum. This extra "space" can cause a potentially serious malfunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

No the .22 mag has a larger diameter bullet so even if you cut the chamber longer it would cause an increase in pressure and the bolt is only going to be calculated to withstand the normal pressures of a .22 not an overpressure of a .22mag being swaged down a smaller diameter barrel.

You can fire a .22 out of a .22mag barrel though. and it will still be accurate enough because the hot gasses cause the base of the round to flow slightly and it will still grip the rifling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I had a Ruger single six convertable revolver, convertable because you were given a second cylinder that you pop into the gun and shoot .22 magnums. The thing about .22 lr and 22 magnum/.22 centrefire being 2 thousands of an inch larger supposidely did not seem to matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

As the title says. Can the humble 22 lr be fired in a magnum chamber and barrel.

The answer to your question is yes it can, but don't do it because
    1 it is not safe, the bullet velocity is vastly reduced, if firing out of a rilfe barrel the bullet may stick in the barrel.
    2 it wont be accurate, with loss of velocity and magnum chamber sizing the bullet will move a lot in the chamber and barrel once fired.
    3 I personally don't like the idea of having a magnum chamber in my firearm and shooting a shorter round, 22lr wont reach the rifling when seated so its going to be fired in the smooth chamber and then hit the rifling in the barrel, in accurate smallbore firearm's the bullet is pushing right up into the lands and groves of the rifling.

tudderone wrote: »
    I had a Ruger single six convertable revolver, convertable because you were given a second cylinder that you pop into the gun and shoot .22 magnums. The thing about .22 lr and 22 magnum/.22 centrefire being 2 thousands of an inch larger supposidely did not seem to matter.

There is no problem firing magnum from a magnum chamber and .22lr from a .22lr chamber. That's why you are given 2 cylinders.
    I think the poster has a magnum chamber only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You CAN do it ,if you have a chamber adapter for 22 lr to .22 magnum.It takes up the slack in the chamber and allows you to fire the smaller caliber safely.However they can be hard to get insuch a small caliber, so alot of people have used spent 22 mag shells with the end cut off and the .22 lr inserted in that.Some .22 mag brands work extremely well for this,others not so.

LATER
    This is the company that makes/made them in Alaska.Dunno if he is still in busisness.However I would say two other things about this. [1] Wear shooting glasses when using,as there will be possibly some hot gas flashback which is painful,and [2] Dont expect sub MOA groups out of these either. Paper plate at 30 meters type accruacy is more like.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180210083341/http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Wadi14 wrote: »
    There is no problem firing magnum from a magnum chamber and .22lr from a .22lr chamber. That's why you are given 2 cylinders.
    I think the poster has a magnum chamber only.

I did do that (firing lr through a magnum) years ago when young and stupid, the case bulged out and distorted and the accuracy was not that good.

tudderone wrote: »
    I did do that (firing lr through a magnum) years ago when young and stupid, the case bulged out and distorted and the accuracy was not that good.

It just doesn't work right the tolerances are all wrong, but look on the bright side your older and smarter now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Do not do it if you value your eyes. I have tried it and with the difference in shell case diameter you will get a slight blowback. I was lucky as I was wearing shooting glasses.

.22 LR • Released: 1884
    • Bullet Diameter: .223 inches
    • Rim Diameter: .278 inches
    • Total Length: 1 inch
    • Bullet Weights: 20 – 50 grain
    • Primer Type: Rimfire

.22 Magnum • Released: 1959
    • Bullet Diameter: .224 inches
    • Rim Diameter: .294 inches
    • Total Length: 1.35 inches
    • Bullet Weights: 20 – 50 grain
    • Primer Type: Rimfire