Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind power turbine generators

Options
  • 02-01-2020 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello
    Just wondering if anyone has feedback on this for me
    I have a small garden house, two small rooms,
    Was thinking of providing lights and maybe charging phones etc, from wind power
    On “ wish “ and “ banggood “. There is small wind Turbine generators , at a reasonable price !
    Has anybody experience of these or would it work for what I’m thinking , ?
    Should also say , I know nothing about power generation or installation !
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No idea about how effective they are, but if buying one, I would not in a million years buy something like that from Wish.
    Banggood are excellent it has to be said, but they are not going to honour the 3 years (up to possibly 6 or 7 with an inherent fault) warranty that we get in the EU should anything go wrong. They will however honour a year (unless they state a longer warranty).
    I can see the price difference, and you may get cheaper than amazon if you look around, but buying from an established EU store over a Chinese store with an EU Warehouse might be a better option unless you would be confident of repairing it yourself should anything break.
    Examples, there is quite a difference (Only comparing with amazon here).
    Banggood - https://www.banggood.com/1000W1200W1500W-DC-1224V-5-Blades-Wind-Turbine-Generator-Vertical-with-Charge-Controller-p-1549607.html
    Amazon 1500 - https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/wind%20turbine%201500
    Amazon Kitgarn - https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/kitgarn%20wind%20turbine

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nalin

Suckit wrote: »
    No idea about how effective they are, but if buying one, I would not in a million years buy something like that from Wish.
    Banggood are excellent it has to be said, but they are not going to honour the 3 years (up to possibly 6 or 7 with an inherent fault) warranty that we get in the EU should anything go wrong. They will however honour a year (unless they state a longer warranty).
    I can see the price difference, and you may get cheaper than amazon if you look around, but buying from an established EU store over a Chinese store with an EU Warehouse might be a better option unless you would be confident of repairing it yourself should anything break.
    Examples, there is quite a difference (Only comparing with amazon here).
    Banggood - https://www.banggood.com/1000W1200W1500W-DC-1224V-5-Blades-Wind-Turbine-Generator-Vertical-with-Charge-Controller-p-1549607.html
    Amazon 1500 - https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/wind%20turbine%201500
    Amazon Kitgarn - https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/kitgarn%20wind%20turbine

Suckit
    Thanks for reply, no I wouldn’t be confident of ever fixing it ! And I see what you mean,,
    I’ll have a look at your suggestions,
    But also for that money if I got a few years it would be a good learning trip so I can learn and find the best way around the problem,
    I could just run a cable from house but I don’t want to do that ! Am looking to learn about other sources. !
    And where I live I have any amount of free wind. !!
    Thanks Bud

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No problem, that was just my two cents. I would be interested too, so I will follow this thread.
    Yep, if you can afford it (they don't seem that expensive) and if they had decent boards in them/hardware (banggood are usually good, has a decent warranty for a Chinese site), and obviously could check reviews, then go for it.

But for most things over €5, I wouldn't touch Wish. Zero comeback, sellers not held accountable etc. Could be getting a factory/warehouse reject etc..

Suckit wrote: »
    No problem, that was just my two cents. I would be interested too, so I will follow this thread.
    Yep, if you can afford it (they don't seem that expensive) and if they had decent boards in them/hardware (banggood are usually good, has a decent warranty for a Chinese site), and obviously could check reviews, then go for it.

But for most things over €5, I wouldn't touch Wish. Zero comeback, sellers not held accountable etc. Could be getting a factory/warehouse reject etc..

Suckit
    Thank you, I appreciate your two cents worth, like the old saying penny’s make pounds !
    I’ll have a good look around
    Again thanks , much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

nalin wrote: »
    Suckit
    Thank you, I appreciate your two cents worth, like the old saying penny’s make pounds !
    I’ll have a good look around
    Again thanks , much appreciated

There are you tube videos testing wind turbines from the likes of banggood etc. You get what you pay for. The stated power output is different to what is advertised.

I'm very interested in wind energy and feel it is a better option than pv systems. I'm not convinced that pv systems are worth the upfront cost. We only really see the benefit of them from march-november (at a push) especially in regards to diverting the energy to heat the immersion. The time you need hot water are the other months of the year.
    The pv systems are ideal for hotter climates.

I do think there needs to be a focus on affordable domestic wind energy systems which (obviously location dependent) are more suitable in Ireland. Even a small turbine connected to the immersion may be more viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Would you need a separate inverter to the standard pv hybrid inverter with one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Would you need a separate inverter to the standard pv hybrid inverter with one of these?
    Most of these small turbines are 24 or 48V designed for off-grid living. So you need a set of lead-acid batteries and an inverter and then you can run some circuits off that inverter, but it is all very messy.

There are no grid-tied inverters out there suitable for 48v or 24v turbines.

Solar PV is now way cheaper per KwHr of electricity produced. Wind would have nice synergy working across the seasons, but the only turbines I have seen that last more than a year or so in Ireland are not cheap.

physioman wrote: »
    There are you tube videos testing wind turbines from the likes of banggood etc. You get what you pay for. The stated power output is different to what is advertised.

I'm very interested in wind energy and feel it is a better option than pv systems. I'm not convinced that pv systems are worth the upfront cost. We only really see the benefit of them from march-november (at a push) especially in regards to diverting the energy to heat the immersion. The time you need hot water are the other months of the year.
    The pv systems are ideal for hotter climates.

I do think there needs to be a focus on affordable domestic wind energy systems which (obviously location dependent) are more suitable in Ireland. Even a small turbine connected to the immersion may be more viable.

Totally agree, I have researched pv and solar power, unfortunately my conclusion was when you most need it to produce September to March, it doesn’t work,
    Whereas wind is in plentiful supply at this time ,,

But it’s just a matter of tracking down the right turbine at the right price
    Somebody here says it’s hard to get a turbine that lasts more than a year here in Ireland,
    That scares me. !!
    Thanks again,,

Most of these small turbines are 24 or 48V designed for off-grid living. So you need a set of lead-acid batteries and an inverter and then you can run some circuits off that inverter, but it is all very messy.

There are no grid-tied inverters out there suitable for 48v or 24v turbines.

Solar PV is now way cheaper per KwHr of electricity produced. Wind would have nice synergy working across the seasons, but the only turbines I have seen that last more than a year or so in Ireland are not cheap.

I would be hoping to get more than a year out of them,
    You say that because of the manufacturing or because of Irish climate. !!

Advertisement