Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying first car from UK tomorrow - Questions

Options
  • 03-01-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi.

I am buying my first classic tomorrow and have a couple of questions on importing from UK.

Its a private buy, so just making sure that I have everything I need.

I take the V5C from the buyer and fill in the change of ownership and export sections? And send it back to the DVLA in the UK. Is that correct?

Also in relation to NCT and VRT. So obliviously I'll ask the seller for a handwritten invoice and this will suffice the NCT folks? Is this correct? Or do i need something else for this part?

Costs will be the NCT and VRT (€200 for VRT and what ever the NCT is). Is there any other costs (apart from Motor Tax and Insurance).

Thanks for you help!
    John

- I know the first question will be whats the car - Porsche 944 1984

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You (or the seller) do NOT send the V5 anywhere. You MUST bring it home to Ireland with you. You won't be able to register the car if you don't.

To avoid the kerfuffle on the doorstep, make sure the seller knows this in advance: he can read the V5 and it will tell him this is the case, and if he has any doubt, let him ring the DVLA to confirm it.

Assuming it has one of the current modern V5 document, then this is what you do:

It looks like this (note 'Section 5' highlighted in red on front cover):

498975.png

There is one small section, Section 5 - highlighted in RED - for those exporting a car. This is the ONLY section the seller needs to send to the DVLA.
    You will not be able to reg the car here without the rest of the V5 in your hand.

498971.png

If you have the older version of the V5 (known as the V5C sometimes - which is possible given you're buying an older car), the relevant section is Section 11 - Notification of Permanent Export, and it looks like this - note the bit I've highlighted:

498972.png

For the older style of document you don't even have to send that portion off, the seller can just drop them a note.

Again, for the avoidance of doubt, let the seller ring DVLA to confirm this. That way when you turn up, pay your money, there is nothing to get bogged down in.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

No that's not correct, you bring the entire V5C with you and you give it to the VRT people at the NCTS. Invoice will be fine, you can even write it yourself. Proof of import date (ferry ticket details) also.

You may need proof of id and a utilities bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭johnser

Ok thanks guys. That makes sense to me now. As the car is in the North, there is no ferry ticket. Dont think it should be an issue as its a flat rate for classics.

Really appreciate the info and taking the time for very concise answers!

johnser wrote: »
    Ok thanks guys. That makes sense to me now. As the car is in the North, there is no ferry ticket. Dont think it should be an issue as its a flat rate for classics.

Really appreciate the info and taking the time for very concise answers!

if it were me, i'd fill it with petrol in the North and get a receipt with reg no on it.(just i
    n case)

Enjoy...you beat Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Isambard wrote: »
    No that's not correct, you bring the entire V5C with you and you give it to the VRT people at the NCTS. Invoice will be fine, you can even write it yourself. Proof of import date (ferry ticket details) also.

You may need proof of id and a utilities bill.

I am correct - I've just done 2. It's the sellers responsibility to declare section 5 to DVLA (to avoid SORN fines etc). If seller doesn't give a fig, well that's up to her/him.

And yes, you need your bills, PPSN etc etc as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

check the times, i wasn't replying to you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Look carefully at the ID/address requirements of the VRT centre.

I had to make three trips in one afternoon last November because I didn't pay attention. I think the lady took pity on my ineptitude as she charged me less than the system quote no questions asked!

You should be given a form when you pay your VRT to apply to have any valid MOT remaining swapped to a valid NCT. You'll need a basic printout of the MOT cert to send off with that. The form says there's a small fee but they'll tell you it's waived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi,

Firstly good luck with it!

I asked a very similar question in Nov '18 and got many very helpful replies (probably from same people here). Did not buy in the end though so no actual experience.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057931555

Advertisement