Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your goals for 2019?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Fuddyduddy wrote: »
    I'm just building my strength back this year. Was never 'powerlifting' strong and only ever trained for one competition but I was a strength coach for 6 years.

BW 91kg

Bench 132.5kg
    Standing OHP 87.5kg
    Squat 177.5kg
    Deadlift around 215kg.

Nothing spectacular but I do enjoy studying the science behind lifting.

Nice numbers @ 91kg

Most of them are my 19 goals at similar bw 88kg/5'10

I have just stated after nearly 10 years out of the gym, back nearly a year, starting to plateau, gains slowing alot

Bench 120kg ( 19 goal is 130kg and 100kg to feel light :) )
    OHP 85kg ( 19 goal 80kg for reps, 90kg 1 rm)
    Squat 160kg ( 160kg reps, 180kg 1 rm)
    Deadlift 200kg - raw no straps ( 19 goal is 220kg)

Following 5/3/1 plan and following Bill Starr for OHP ( my fav lift)

Want to try a powerlifting comp too

Thats my 19 and stay healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mike9832 wrote: »

1914937_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

2017... lose 4st... tick
    2018..lose a bit more and start a weights programme...tick down by 5.5st overall
    increase my squat above 120kg
    deadlift above 120kg,
    bench is dire struggling at 60kg break that in 2019
    above are all for 5*5s (so maybe that's the problem)BW 90kgs

am 43 so don't expect any miracles- a bit of improvement while maintaining weight loss will do me grand

Hit a snag early in Jan with my 2 year cardiologist check up, he told me I shouldn’t be lifting heavy weights with my condition, I had 2 stents put in aged 30 and no issues since but best to avoid any I suppose.

Started running a bit more and got my 5km down below 30 mins.
    Lost another 1/2 stone and kept up my lifting at above levels.

Hope the rest of ye had better luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Deano7788 wrote: »
    More my next goals rather than for the full year, but anyway (and all in comp):

Squat: 250kg. Should be achievable. Hit this in April, hit 275kg beginning of November and tripled 250kg with reps to spare a few days ago so easily hit.
    Bench: 135kg. Bit more difficult, but bench has started to move really well the last while. missed this just below lockout in November :o
    Deadlift: 272.5kg (600lbs). Currently trialling sumo, so unsure of when but confident I’ll hit this in 2019 if I stay injury free. Ended up having to switch back to conventional 4 weeks out from the November comp due to hip pain, managed to hit a 2.5kg of 267.5kg off of basically no training for this stance for months so I'll take it.
    Total: at least 650kg. Totalled 672.kg

Would also like to hit 400 wilks hit this and over 600 IPF points (even though the IPF won’t be using this anymore) and fill out the 105s more, currently weighing 98kg roughly. Walking around at about 102kg so gone well enough

Mixed year :pac:. Mainly positive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

bladespin wrote: »
    Keep my numbers up, 240 workouts in 18 and full food log, want to match that.

Aiming for 10 to 12% bf for summer as well.

Another inch on the guns would be nice too lol.

Good luck all.

Didn't quite go to plan last year, started the year with a blast at GVT but came down with viral arthritis in late Feb which knocked me on my arse for over 6 weeks, tried to get the odd session in when I could, ended up in the Beacon with it and an amazing doc who worked a miracle for me, hit 202 workouts in the end.

Did manage to get down to 12% for the end of July, that's a distant memory now after an 'indulgent' Christmas :) Also managed oto push the arms up by about a half inch or little more, happy out with that.

Aims for 2020, keep the workouts going, would love to get to 10% or even lower for the genofit scan in the end of June.

Get ripped!

Best of luck all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bluewolf wrote: »
    Keep showing up consistently and get some PRs
    break past a 60kg bench??

Got prs
    Got 62.5kg bench :p
    That was back in May. Haven't bothered peaking or testing since

1) To be told I'm able to squat and deadlift again

2) To train regularly with a view to competing at the end of the year, early 2020.

1) Surgeon didn't say not to so I was able to. However, it transpired that low bar isn't going to be an option. My hip won't let me get low enough and it was uncomfortable even at 80kg. So high bar from now on so spent most of the year working on that as it's never been something I've done for more than a 4-week block or two. Didn't pull from the floor until towards the end of the year.

2) Aim is still to do a comp around March. Had an MRI on the hip and back with the surgeon at the end of Feb to see if it's the same or worse than this time last year which will determine id the next comp is my last

Nice numbers @ 91kg

Most of them are my 19 goals at similar bw 88kg/5'10

I have just stated after nearly 10 years out of the gym, back nearly a year, starting to plateau, gains slowing alot

Bench 120kg ( 19 goal is 130kg and 100kg to feel light :) )
    OHP 85kg ( 19 goal 80kg for reps, 90kg 1 rm)
    Squat 160kg ( 160kg reps, 180kg 1 rm)
    Deadlift 200kg - raw no straps ( 19 goal is 220kg)

Following 5/3/1 plan and following Bill Starr for OHP ( my fav lift)

Thats my 19 and stay healthy

Didnt do powerlifting comp but did nearly reach all my targets :)

135kg bench, 120kg x 5
    95kg OHP from floor, 85kg x 5
    175kg squat, 160kg x 5
    210kg dead raw, 225kg with straps ( still struggle with raw deadlifts )

20 target, to get to 95kg bw, 91kg now

140 bench
    100 OHP
    190 squat
    225 raw

135kg bench, 120kg x 5
    95kg OHP from floor, 85kg x 5
    175kg squat, 160kg x 5
    210kg dead raw, 225kg with straps ( still struggle with raw deadlifts )

Nice.

That's funny with the straps on deadlift...I have used straps on back-off sets and I find they put me off!

Nice.

That's funny with the straps on deadlift...I have used straps on back-off sets and I find they put me off!

Do you use mixed grip or conventional?

My brother does mixed grip and doesn't like them either, can't get used to them

I use conventional grip and find them great getting the weight off the ground and my grip isn't great either when I go heavy.

• Advertisement

Do you use mixed grip or conventional?

My brother does mixed grip and doesn't like them either, can't get used to them

I use conventional grip and find them great getting the weight off the ground and my grip isn't great either when I go heavy.

Conventional/double overhand on warm ups to a certain point and then mixed grip.

Conventional/double overhand on warm ups to a certain point and then mixed grip.

Mixed grip for 1rm?

Mixed grip for 1rm?

Yeah. Probably go mixed from 60% or so

Yeah. Probably go mixed from 60% or so

Same as brother then

Be hard to get used to straps then I think, anytime I tried them with mixed grip felt weird, hard to position feet

For sure you can lift more with mixed grip over conventional raw, biceps work alot in mixed grip

I should have done that instead of usings to lift more weight

For sure you can lift more with mixed grip over conventional raw, biceps work alot in mixed grip

Biceps don't work a lot with mixed grip.

The level of risk versus double OH is usually overstated.

Biceps don't work a lot with mixed grip.

The level of risk versus double OH is usually overstated.

I'm probably doing it wrong, always feel the right hand bicep pumped up in heavy mixed grip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

hit most of my goals for last year so this year its

Compete at least 4 times in BJJ, Muay thai, possibly mma (only managed 2 bjj comps this year, because i wasn't doing enough muay thai to get a fight.) Also been doing Bjj for about a year and a half so I want to get that blue belt

lifting, I really want to focus on the combat sports this year which includes staying around 64kg weight so I'm not really chasing any major lifts the below are numbers just so my strength training isn't aimless I'll test my 1 rep max over xmas to see where i am currently.

Bench 95 1 rep max,
    dead lift 150 1 rep max, will be testing after xmas to see exactly where my current 1 rep max is
    squat 110 or heavier

Also getting married in august so get shredded for the honeymoon is an obvious goal :)

Competed 3 times so not bad.
    hit my bench and squat target
    got fat after the wedding though unfortunately
    got my blue belt in BJJ which I wasn't expecting.

2019 was a busy and productive year outside the gym, 2020 is about getting back into the gym more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I’ve never posted here before, and mine’s a really really basic one compared to some of yours, but join the gym, and actually go, whether it’s before class, after, or during a break. Starting on Monday and looking forward to it :)

Managed to stick to this and I’m still going 3 times a week most weeks depending on work.

Amazed at how strong I’ve gotten in the space of a year.

Advertisement