Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Guinness always so bad in hotels

• 21-12-2019 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Hardly ever have I been in a hotel that served good Guinness, or even fairly alright Guinness.
    Why is it that its always so bad in hotel bars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hardly ever have I been in a hotel that served good Guinness, or even fairly alright Guinness.

Wait for others to drink it 1st as if you get it at the start the lines will give a funny taste.

Quite possible not enough drinking it or lines aren't cleaned properly or enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I've often wondered the same and I suspect the setting and surroundings has some influence on how much you enjoy a pint. I've had pints of Guinness in swanky five star hotel bars, marble bar counter, paper doily napkins, barman calling me Sir and it just feels wrong. If you gave me precisely the same quality pint in an old pub with and open turf fire and no technology except radio one playing, I guarantee I'd enjoy the pint far more. Obviously just a mental difference but I think you have to be comfortable in the surroundings to truly enjoy a pint.
    I may also be talking nonsense, I dunno!

• CAPTIVE AUDIENCE.

where are residents going to go Christmas and boxing Day FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In a bar that is open every day there will be a short time when no beer is served ie. overnight. This means the beer isn't left too long in lines.

Often in a hotel the function room bar will be closed for days on end. You will usually get a better pint at the front bar.

Also in a regular bar there is more contact between the barman (often the proprietor) and the customers who will let him know fairly quickly if the pint is not up to scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Poor line maintenance coupled with longer than usual lines. You need more people drinking than usual to keep the lines flowing.

One hotel non Galway I worked in had about 25 pints in the lines so each day the first 25 Guinness were muck and unless there was quite a few drinking it they were all muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

CAPTIVE AUDIENCE.

where are residents going to go Christmas and boxing Day FFS.

Stephen’s day.

FFS.

Wren Day

For Heavens Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Its not just function rooms, etc though, even bars in hotels its generally brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Agree with the op .Iv never got a decent pint in a hotel.
    I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of keeping the glass washer just for glasses .In hotel bar you can see milk jugs food plates etc being chucked into a glass washer.Plus untrained bar people pouring into a freshly washed hot glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

endacl wrote: »
    Stephen’s day.

FFS.

Whatever floats your boat. Why are we Irish traditionally so intolerant of difference? In my experience Irish people of a certain tradition tend to say Boxing Day, as do English people, and probably people without religion too. Should we be upset to hear people say movie instead of film, or film instead of picture?

From Tangmalangmaloo:

"Come, tell me, boy," his lordship said in crushing tones severe,
    "Come, tell me why is Christmas Day the greatest of the year?
    "How is it that around the world we celebrate that day
    "And send a name upon a card to those who're far away?
    "Why is it wandering ones return with smiles and greetings, too?"
    A squall of knowledge hit the lad from Tangmalangaloo.

He gave a lurch which set a-shake the vases on the shelf,
    He knocked the benches all askew, up-ending of himself.
    And so, how pleased his lordship was, and how he smiled to say,
    "That's good, my boy. Come, tell me now; and what is Christmas Day?"
    The ready answer bared a fact no bishop ever knew -
    "It's the day before the races out at Tangmalangaloo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Bassfish wrote: »
    I've often wondered the same and I suspect the setting and surroundings has some influence on how much you enjoy a pint. I've had pints of Guinness in swanky five star hotel bars, marble bar counter, paper doily napkins, barman calling me Sir and it just feels wrong. If you gave me precisely the same quality pint in an old pub with and open turf fire and no technology except radio one playing, I guarantee I'd enjoy the pint far more. Obviously just a mental difference but I think you have to be comfortable in the surroundings to truly enjoy a pint.
    I may also be talking nonsense, I dunno!

A huge part of the Guinness experience is subjective feeling due to great marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I think the serving temperature is the problem most of the time. A degree or two above the 5 or 6C changes the taste completely for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

coastwatch wrote: »
    I think the serving temperature is the problem most of the time. A degree or two above the 5 or 6C changes the taste completely for me.

For better or worse?
    Remember when you had the choice of regular guinness or extra cold.
    Then they just removed the regular and all was served extra cold to try to appeal to younger drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

tuxy wrote: »
    For better or worse?
    Remember when you had the choice of regular guinness or extra cold.
    Then they just removed the regular and all was served extra cold to try to appeal to younger drinkers.

I dont think it's as good either warmer or colder than 5-6C, but warmer is worse for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭jt69er

Extra cold has been gone for years, quality is down to glassware maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

feargale wrote: »
    Whatever floats your boat. Why are we Irish traditionally so intolerant of difference? In my experience Irish people of a certain tradition tend to say Boxing Day, as do English people, and probably people without religion too.

Nobody in Ireland says Boxing Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

jt69er wrote: »
    Extra cold has been gone for years, quality is down to glassware maintenance.

It really is a fragile liquid the 'ol Guinness :)
    How they even manage to move it around at all!

That an order then?

Relax and have a Guinness (in a proper pub of course) :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Except for about half of Donegal at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

L1011 wrote: »
    Except for about half of Donegal at least

Think he means no “real” Irishman.

• Advertisement

Think he means no “real” Irishman.

No real Irishman drinks Guinness in hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Glenmalure Hotel has some of the best Guinness in the world...
    Kegs under the counter
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.9575298,-6.3536216,3a,75y,28.85h,75.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl2dcXOuo2n_pYbh0mjzP7g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Only southerners say "Stephen's Day". It's "Boxing Day" up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Funnily enough, 4 or us played golf on the Saturday before Christmas in Portmarnock Hotel of Golf Links. When we came in from the 18th, we noticed a couple of lads sitting down with what looked to be like decent Guinness. So we ordered 1 for each of us. The Guinness was so good we ended up staying for 5 more and ringing 2 of our wives to pick us up :D

10/10 for the Guinness in Portmarnock Hotel of Golf Links!

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    It really is a fragile liquid the 'ol Guinness :)
    How they even manage to move it around at all!

All beers react badly to badly maintained glassware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

jt69er wrote: »
    All beers react badly to badly maintained glassware.

I was coming more from the Guinness is so special! You won't find people discussing Heineken down the local :)

What's the best pint of Heineken in town lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The Glenmalure Hotel has some of the best Guinness in the world...
    Kegs under the counter
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.9575298,-6.3536216,3a,75y,28.85h,75.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl2dcXOuo2n_pYbh0mjzP7g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    Keg near pump = short draw.
    discard first pint if pump not used in a while,(unless it's for american tourist or suchlike)
    Is "ullage" still sent back ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I *think* Ireland moved to a non return / duty free allowance per keg system a while ago; which massively improves the logistics (although was probably less then the average return). However I may be misremembering that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

flanzer wrote: »
    Funnily enough, 4 or us played golf on the Saturday before Christmas in Portmarnock Hotel of Golf Links. When we came in from the 18th, we noticed a couple of lads sitting down with what looked to be like decent Guinness. So we ordered 1 for each of us. The Guinness was so good we ended up staying for 5 more and ringing 2 of our wives to pick us up :D

10/10 for the Guinness in Portmarnock Hotel of Golf Links!

Much like when you walk into a traditional bar and see an open fire and a few old lads drinking pints, you'd probably already decided the beer was gonna be good at that stage. :P

• Advertisement

Keg near pump = short draw. discard first pint if pump not used in a while,(unless it's for american tourist or suchlike) Is "ullage" still sent back ?

If keg is under counter then there is only a fraction of a pint in the line. There is no reason in any bar to throw perfectly good product down the drain.

Advertisement