Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R Awards 2019!!!

• 30-12-2019 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

I’ve been lucky enough to be given the responsibility for looking after these this year!! All votes need to be sent to me via PM by midnight on the 4th of January 2020 to be considered. The following are the categories up for voting:

1. Poster of the Year.
    2. Log of the Year.
    3. Thread of the Year.
    4. Post of the Year.
    5. Newcomer of the Year.
    6. Most Improved Runner of the Year.
    7. Race report of the Year.
    8. Race of the Year.

All votes on the above categories to me via PM pls before the 4th of January 2020. You can vote on as many or as little categories as you like. I’ll announce the winners on the 5th of January 2020. Personal PM’s get you nowhere!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair play Barry.

Any ground rules? No nomination process then, straight to the final for everyone? ;)

What about discussion of who you’re voting for and why?

Thanks for taking it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Murph_D wrote: »
    Fair play Barry.

Any ground rules? No nomination process then, straight to the final for everyone? ;)

What about discussion of who you’re voting for and why?

Thanks for taking it on.

No nomination process D, straight to final and most votes in each category wins!!

This thread is open to discussion but no putting posters or other people’s nominations down as in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

What about "most deteriorated runner" of the year?
    I'd fancy my chances in that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What about "most deteriorated runner" of the year? I'd fancy my chances in that one

Challenge accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Challenge accepted.

Eh my V02 max dropped from 59 to 50... Beat that!! :D:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Eh my V02 max dropped from 59 to 50... Beat that!! :D:o

Down to 51 for me from 58:( According to my watch.

Age catching up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'll get the ball rolling, would be good to have some discussion, although I fear most of the interaction about boards happens outside of boards these days. ;)

Newcomer of the Year

I didn't really follow the novices thread this year, but one of the things I liked about it was there seemed to be plenty of ambitious novices setting challenging targets, which hasn't always been a feature of the thread in recent years. There were some really good debuts this year. I thought Treviso was certainly one of those, as was Comic Book Guy, but for me the standout newcomer was Laineyfrecks whose performance, relatively speaking, looked the most impressive to me, so she'll be getting my vote (assuming it's one vote per category!)

The other categories will be harder to call, I reckon. It's always hard to call the Most Improved Athlete because you're weighing up big gains as people move from Beginner to Improver categories against much smaller but equally impressive gains among more experienced runners. Have a few people in mind all the same - was good to see a few aul lads setting some impressive new PBs.

On that note, shoe of the year was definitely the Vaporfly/Next%. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sent in all my votes

Most improved was a really tough one to call.
    Best log, thread and report are pretty subjective though as you are selecting from what/who you follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Challenge accepted.

I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

OOnegative wrote: »
    I’ve been lucky enough to be given the responsibility for looking after these this year!! All votes need to be sent to me via PM by midnight on the 4th of January 2020 to be considered. The following are the categories up for voting:

1. Poster of the Year.
    2. Log of the Year.
    3. Thread of the Year.
    4. Post of the Year.
    5. Newcomer of the Year.
    6. Most Improved Runner of the Year.
    7. Race report of the Year.
    8. Race of the Year.

All votes on the above categories to me via PM pls before the 4th of January 2020. You can vote on as many or as little categories as you like. I’ll announce the winners on the 5th of January 2020. Personal PM’s get you nowhere!!!

Barry - Its quite conceivable that you could win 4 of these!

• Advertisement

If he's counting the votes I'd say its a given ;)

Poor year for Boards A/R so!!

Poor year for Boards A/R so!!

No Sir - a superb year for you.

Those who improve and keep on sharing he logs deserve the plaudits!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks for running this B!

Does 'race of the year' refer to the event, i.e. DCM, Day of PB's, etc., or is it the performance of the year - e.g. OOnegative in Amsterdam, Comic Book Guy in Dublin, etc.?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Thanks for running this B!

Does 'race of the year' refer to the event, i.e. DCM, Day of PB's, etc., or is it the performance of the year - e.g. OOnegative in Amsterdam, Comic Book Guy in Dublin, etc.?

As in DCM, Day of PB’s etc A.

Keep the nominations coming pls lads, not many yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

What about "most deteriorated runner" of the year?
    I'd fancy my chances in that one :)

Hold my beer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I don't really follow the Novices' thread tbf but I would have thought that Laineyfreaks would be a good shout for Newcomer. A good log and some serious running. A nice balance of human interest (normally a yawn for a cold-blooded bastard like me) and actual training!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks for taking the mantle B. Be careful or you might hold it in future years too. :D

No thoughts here will be considered as nominations, PM required to myself for your opinion to be counted.

• Advertisement

I’ve had 7 votes so far, there has been plenty of people on the forum today more than capable of casting a vote!! These awards are a bit of crack granted, but it’s nice to acknowledge your friends and fellow runner.

This is the last call I’ll make for votes.

I will do it tomorrow B...just refreshing my memory after the last couple of months ;-)

OOnegative wrote:
    This is the last call I’ll make for votes.

You're a hard taskmaster B! We have til Saturday!

You're a hard taskmaster B! We have til Saturday!

Counting isn't my strongest attribute P:eek::eek::eek:.

OOnegative wrote:
    Counting isn't my strongest attribute P .

Haha I had presumed you allowed yourself buffer with your deadline

OK - What are the interesting Race reports that come to mind.

I think Healys DCM race report is a fantastically well executed race - one for the students of the sport.
    Singer put in a great effort as well for DCM race report.

OONegative's Half in Amsterdam comes to mind?
    Actually - I need to send Barry another email...........I just reminded myself of this beauty from Applegirl.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109968936&postcount=220

Any other contenders in there?

Poster of the year:
    I think OONegative invests a lot into Boards.
    I've enjoyed & learned from Healys & Mellow Yellows logs too.

Most Improved:
    I'd be looking at OONegative and Damo for this.

Any one else willing to help the memory.

Any one else willing to help the memory.

Ok...did you hear the one about the guy running Rotterdam? Great report. As was Duaningtons from Spain if I remember. It was brilliant. OO- from Amsterdam was excellent but I'm biased. ;-) They're the race reports I remember best.

Most improved is a tough one but I'd expect it to be a shootout between Sheep and Comic Book Guy. One has made to step to mixing it with some of the regulars in his general age grouping here and the other has made a huge step towards it and will be partying at the same table next year.

Best newcomer...Lambay Island, Treviso or Laineyfrecks. All 3 ran excellent debut marathons, 2 have gone on the do cracking 5k PBs. One will do a cracking PB in Bohermeen.

Poster of the year.. I can't see beyond the postman :-)

Thread of the year...there were some cracking threads about Vaporflys and the Nike/Salazar issues. Some great informative discussion and passionate views held. Probably not the most read threads but essential reading for those with an interest in the sport.

Race of the Year...didn't race bugger all but I'd be looking at a race that excelled...that bettered itself. Did DCM? I don't think so. You know what you get and you get it. DCM will win this but I'll probably vote for Dunshaughlin...they just do more than would be expected of any club run race. The MSB 5k was also great. Changing and grub in the Mansion House and a great course with brilliant organisation.

There ends my perusing...

A few of the race reports that stood out for me:
    Wubble Wubble in Inishbofin
    Comic Book Guy's DCM report
    coogy's DCM report

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    A few of the race reports that stood out for me:
    Wubble Wubble in Inishbofin
    Comic Book Guy's DCM report
    coogy's DCM report

To be honest WubbleWubble’s race report’s don’t get the recognition they deserve.

• Advertisement

To be honest WubbleWubble’s race report’s don’t get the recognition they deserve.

So true. He delivers great reports so consistently that they get taken for granted. Inishbofin stood out in my memory, but there's plenty more equally deserving of a shout-out.

Advertisement