Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Helium balloons

Options
  • 22-12-2019 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Bit of a strange one. We are visiting family in Meath and as we passed through Slane just now we observed what seemed to be a group of 20 - 30 helium balloons that someone has obviously released. I assume these would be a danger to avaiation. Is there anyone I can contact to warn of the danger? I'm not even sure how I could give them a location only they seemed to be heading East.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

You could contact the IAA, but ultimately it's a few balloons in a very big sky. The chances of them hitting anything (or even being detected) are extremely small.

I think Met Eireann are the only body officially allowed to launch balloons. I toyed with the idea of high-altitude sounding balloons (with a camera aboard) a while back, but it wasn't legal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

From S.I. 422 of 1999:
    Unmanned Free Balloons

10. (1) A person shall not cause or permit a group of small balloons exceeding
    1000 in number to be simultaneously released at a single site wholly or
    partly within the aerodrome traffic zone of an aerodrome or exceeding
    2000 in number at any place within the State without the permission in
    writing of the Authority and other than in accordance with any
    conditions subject to which that permission may have been granted.
    (2) For the purposes of this Article “simultaneously released at a single site”
    shall mean the release of a specified number of balloons during a period
    not exceeding 15 minutes from within an area not exceeding 1 kilometre
    square.
    (3) An unmanned free balloon which exceeds two metres in any linear
    dimension at any stage in its flight, other than a balloon used by the
    Meteorological Services for the purposes of upper air observations, shall
    not be flown by any person within the State without the permission in
    writing of the Authority and other than in accordance with any
    conditions subject to which that permission may have been granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

can you achieve anything with a balloon less than 2 metres?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

can you achieve anything with a balloon less than 2 metres?

The issue is the "at any stage in its flight" part of the SI above. As the balloon rises and the local air pressure drops, the balloon diameter increases until it eventually pops. To keep below the 2m limit, it must be much smaller than this at sea level.

Sounding balloons are roughly 2m in diameter when filled, and can lift a small camera, transponder etc.

Advertisement