Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fireworks NYE

• 01-01-2020 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

so who caught the fireworks last night? it was a nice surprise because I didn't know there was anything planned, I'm also surprised there hasn't been a post about it already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Same as. It looked like there were two major displays, at a guess one in the waterfront and the other (larger) in Salthill - but that's pure guess because I was up in the east side so could only see the top of 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

zell12 wrote: »

there's no way this was unlicenced, Oranmore village was first and then Doughiska/Roscam area, then across the bay in Oranmore that would have been visible all along the city's coastline, there seemed to be some more further east but no clue where exactly, could hear the bangs and flashes in the sky, Eyre sq and further west also, it took some coordination and was a very impressive display throughout the city :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Who put them on? Couldn't find any scheduled public event, looked like a very expensive display.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Who put them on? Couldn't find any scheduled public event, looked like a very expensive display.

The Galway 2020 site has a pretty picture of fireworks in an articles dated new years eve, but the link does not work properly, maybe it was them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

The Galway 2020 site has a pretty picture of fireworks in an articles dated new years eve, but the link does not work properly, maybe it was them.

the boat on the crane dispay was a few months ago down the Claddagh for the opening/launch parade

Notch000 wrote: »
    the boat on the crane dispay was a few months ago down the Claddagh for the opening/launch parade

I've seen comments on Facebook, from the Galway Hooker Sailing Club, claiming credit for the fireworks, with a video of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

i would caution anyone claiming credit if they didn't have it licensed.

may it is was licensed but generally fireworks shows are advertised when licensed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Put Galway 2020 to shame who had no fireworks well done to the Claddagh

Laviski wrote: »
    i would caution anyone claiming credit if they didn't have it licensed.

may it is was licensed but generally fireworks shows are advertised when licensed

Looking back, they did post a hint of it in advance and live streamed it as it happened. Since there is no publicly available register of licences issued, any suggestion of it being unlicenced is pure speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Looking back, they did post a hint of it in advance and live streamed it as it happened. Since there is no publicly available register of licences issued, any suggestion of it being unlicenced is pure speculation.

i'm glad someone did something nice, but nice deeds generally don't get rewarded. There will be some tool out there with nothing better to do to file a complaint and a chance they not even from the locality. Fireworks display are not only to be licensed but there is a pretty comprehensive fire and safety planning with public notice that needs to be done. Hence in Ireland we don't get nice things that often, too much red tape and insurance issues.

Advertisement