Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite city churches

• 31-12-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

I have lots of memories of the Abbey and how half the congregation would be outside the door or across the street at mass time. The church at Westside, if I recall correctly, has a low ceiling and is very stuffy when full.

Claddagh is fine. Seats a bit tight. Cathedral fine but acoustics poor. Could hear nothing of the Bishop at Midnight Mass. Could never hear anything from the previous bishop either. Spacious though. Comfortable seats.

I dislike Knocknacarra Church but I enjoy the down to earth and engaging priests there.

I have never been at mass in St Augustine's, to the best of my memory, but visited it over the Christmas when it was empty. I think the new lay out is a disaster and I would never go to mass there. Seats facing each other. What an ordeal that would be. Does anyone go there regularly and how does it compare to the old layout?

What's your favourite church?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Something different to the traffic and best place for pints/fry threads...!

Not a regular but St. Joseph's is a nice church and Fr. Downey is dead on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not in the city but Meelick just north of Portumna has the nice accolade of being the oldest church still in active use in the country. It's been there since 1414. Plus Fr. Declan Mcinerney is one of those really sound priests. A real beacon of positivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

As someone who doesn't go to mass very often I have to say I liked the circular layout in St. Augustine's, it has a much more intimate feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Seamai wrote: »
    As someone who doesn't go to mass very often I have to say I liked the circular layout in St. Augustine's, it has a much more intimate feel.

I must say I would find it off putting to be facing felkow mass goers. How many are at mass there approximately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

St. Nicholas's is by far the city's nicest church. Location, history and acoustics. Also it's warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭39steps

I've started to do new things and go to places in Galway city, not quite as a tourist, but along those lines.

Last week I went to midnight mass in Galway Cathedral which I'd never attended before. Amazing choir, amazing sense of community in a building I saw with new eyes.

For a building itself St Nicholas Collegiate Church has history, architecture and longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Renmore Garrison Church
    the stained glass windows
    plus it is 165 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Castlegar has a lovely feel to it, and some nice modern style stained glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yes I agree re St Nicholas' but I wouldn't be a regular there. Am not CoI. Would like to check out that old church in Portumna as mentioned above.
    The Presbyterian or United Presbyterian and Methodist Church, I think, beside The Hardiman (Southern) is a place I have never been in. That can't have a big congregation. I don't know if it is still open for services. Has anyone been?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I used to bring the kids to St Nicholas' to see the banners and arms, often times a volunteer would show and tell us about other aspects of the church and its history.

Kids almost always came out energised and curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

ChewyLouie wrote: »

Yes, St Joseph's by far. There is a really lovely atmosphere in that church that you just do not find elsewhere and Fr Downey is so welcoming and kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Bredabe

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yes I agree re St Nicholas' but I wouldn't be a regular there. Am not CoI. Would like to check out that old church in Portumna as mentioned above.
    The Presbyterian or United Presbyterian and Methodist Church, I think, beside The Hardiman (Southern) is a place I have never been in. That can't have a big congregation. I don't know if it is still open for services. Has anyone been?

They have a facebook page, the address is on the sign outside.
    It seems very welcoming of visitors or people of different demonications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

The old layout in the Augie was better Imo.You could skulk down the back and be first out at communion, then a race to the Salmon Weir for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

ChewyLouie wrote: »

Agreed. Fr Downey is a really lovely man too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

At least when I was bored out of my mind at mass in the cathedral as a child I had some vaguely interesting architecture to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Claddagh I think. Reminds me of my childhood. I still feel a sense of peace the odd time I go in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The Claddagh church has a nice vibe to it.

Something about the abbey the way it’s so close to the road which is usually busy but then you go inside and it’s nice and quiet. Then similar when leaving after mass the opposite you step out from the peace and quiet right into a city centre.

If I stay in town with friends after a night on the beer I always head there for mass on the Sunday and up to the cellar for the breakfast after :)

Advertisement