Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Masters tickets

• 30-12-2019 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering how the ticket registration lottery thing works on the official website, I’ve registered for tickets every year the past few years and have never been picked, is it actually a draw or is it more of a waiting list??

Has anyone here ever managed to get picked ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

phishcakes wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just wondering how the ticket registration lottery thing works on the official website, I’ve registered for tickets every year the past few years and have never been picked, is it actually a draw or is it more of a waiting list??

Has anyone here ever managed to get picked ?
    It appears to be a draw, but like yourself I've been in the last 3/4 years and had no luck.
    My thinking is hopefully if I keep going for the next 10/15 years I'll eventually get lucky. If not I'll just pay for some package deal, it's definitely a bucket list event

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

It appears to be a draw, but like yourself I've been in the last 3/4 years and had no luck.
    My thinking is hopefully if I keep going for the next 10/15 years I'll eventually get lucky. If not I'll just pay for some package deal, it's definitely a bucket list event

100% bucket list event, tickets for sale online at the mo on viagogo and stubhub, mad money thou

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

i lived in the states and got drawn for Wednesday tickets in 2014. couldn't go as my son was born couple of weeks later so gave to my dad.
    my brother in ireland and brother in law in UK got drawn for 2018 tickets, Tuesday and Wednesday, so i took one of those and went down for both days. fabulous experience.
    definitely worth signing up for the lottery and also asking your family to put names down...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Tried every year , but never successfully, Defo have to go , and may resort to a package deal

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

tropics001 wrote: »
    i lived in the states and got drawn for Wednesday tickets in 2014. couldn't go as my son was born couple of weeks later so gave to my dad.
    my brother in ireland and brother in law in UK got drawn for 2018 tickets, Tuesday and Wednesday, so i took one of those and went down for both days. fabulous experience.
    definitely worth signing up for the lottery and also asking your family to put names down...

I enter the lottery every year and so far not successful. I never select the practice day options as I think if I'm making the trip over I'd like to be there on a tournament day. How did you find going to a practice day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

poteen wrote: »
    I enter the lottery every year and so far not successful. I never select the practice day options as I think if I'm making the trip over I'd like to be there on a tournament day. How did you find going to a practice day?

Hi I got tickets for the Tuesday last year and thought briefly that it wouldn’t be worth it but thankfully went. I think Augusta is the one major where you are going to see the place more than the tournament. A practice Day makes it easier to see the place. Well worth the trip to see it.

poteen wrote: »

i really enjoyed practice days. you can bring a camera, which is not allowed on competition days.
    tuesday i planned to walk the course in sequence then follow various groups. i ended up coming in from car park around the 15th hole so had to shield my face from the temptation of looking back at amen corner! made my way to the first hole and the spaniards were teeing off... sergio, olazabal, niemann. followed them for first few holes then heard mickelson would be playing with tiger.
    i figured i would slow down and let them catch up to me but they were only playing the back 9 so that screwed that plan. i made my way over to the grandstand at 16, got a coffee and waited for their group to come through. practicing flop shots on the 15th green, skipping balls on the pond... beautiful weather... outstanding morning.
    after that i returned to the front nine and resumed the sequence. had a few beers after lunch and followed mcilroy down the back 9 in the afternoon. i'd love to know how many steps i walked that day because i lapped the course a few times and then walked a mile back to airbnb.

wednesday more of the same, weather was cloudy so different experience. the course emptied out around 2 pm and everyone headed over to the par 3. i grabbed a masters flag and got some signatures hanging out by one of the greens as the players passed. very relaxed and good viewing.
    some day i'll hopefully get back for the weekend but i would certainly recommend the practice rounds.

A few pics.

499127.jpg

499130.jpg

499129.jpg

499128.jpg

499126.jpg

Mcilroy on 10th green. You can see here the slope of the fairway.

499132.jpg

Preparing for lift off. This is my favourite of the photos I took.

499135.jpg

499136.jpg

499137.jpg

499138.jpg

499139.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

On a practice day - did you hear a big clatter from the camera shutters when the players were teeing off? I know you can silence the noise on a mobile phone but you typically can't with your average consumer (non-professional) camera.

coylemj wrote: »
    On a practice day - did you hear a big clatter from the camera shutters when the players were teeing off? I know you can silence the noise on a mobile phone but you typically can't with your average consumer (non-professional) camera.

Didn't particularly notice. Most people are just chilling out watching the golf. Such a nice contrast to a regular tournament where everyone is glued to their phone camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

phishcakes wrote: »
    I’ve registered for tickets every year the past few years and have never been picked, is it actually a draw or is it more of a waiting list??

To answer your question.....

The people who get tickets every year are called 'patrons'. As they die and/or fail to renew their subscription for tickets, they used to be (possibly still are) replaced by people on the waiting list. Up to about 10-15 years ago, the patron list and the waiting list were full and no new applications of any kind were being accepted.

Then, out of the blue, they started accepting applications for an annual lottery for practice day and tournament day tickets. I have applied every year and like a lot of posters here, have had no success.

It's possible that the patron list is now closed to new applicants and as people die and fail to renew, those slots become available for the lottery. It's also possible that only a fixed, small number of tickets are made available via the lottery and the patron system (backfilled from the waiting list) still operates as before.

If anyone can shed any light on the current system, I'm sure we'd all like to know.

Advertisement