Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crappy presents - Candles

• 27-12-2019 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

After another season of eating loads, drinking anything, I reflect on the presents that my wife has received.

Over the last few years, my poor wife must have received candles from her friends and my family and tbh, I am sick of this just another candle which we are sure that it’s a pass me on candle from somebody else and yet we invest time and money into their presents.

I think going forward, no more present shopping for everyone is the best solution.

What are people thoughts on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

After another season of eating loads, drinking anything, I reflect on the presents that my wife has received.

Over the last few years, my poor wife must have received candles from her friends and my family and tbh, I am sick of this just another candle which we are sure that it’s a pass me on candle from somebody else and yet we invest time and money into their presents.

I think going forward, no more present shopping for everyone is the best solution.

What are people thoughts on this.

Wife can't get enough of the Yankee candles

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think it depends if you like candles or not, to be fair! Plenty of people love candles.

If she doesn't like candles, she should tell those who buy her presents that she's beginning to get tired of receiving so many.

Surely it's the thought that counts anyway, no? :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I love candles. Since we got a dog we live for smelly candles to neutralise the smell of dog in the house. They’re so cosy and certain Yankee candle smells remind me of Christmas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yankee candles aren't cheap either, I think they're a lovely gift. :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Be grateful for what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If she didn't get anything she would moan, she gets something she moans then it spills over to the fella and he moans..... It's a moany cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

We went through a stage of that, member of the family being a teacher. Haven’t received any in a while and we seem to have got through them during various storms/ power outages. You never know when they’ll come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Does your wife like candles? Has she complained?

That's what we do. We just buy for the kids.

Lets face it we live in the affluent first world, if any adult really wants or needs something, they go and get it.

Think though come the next power outage you'll both have the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Reminds me of this SNL skit...

https://youtu.be/_L5Xkb78KxY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I love candles. They make the house look homey, bright and festive.
    Welcoming and warm.

They will always get used - and many of them have a nice smell added. Bring them on!

That being said, I went through a spell when the choir I was in always used to have Kriskindels and mine was always a candle.
    I eventually expressed that it felt a little bit desperate and impersonal to get this stream of candles, - as if nobody knew who I was!
    -- and the very next Christmas, my present was a tiny picture frame with a teeny photo of me in it, cut from a group photo.
    I was charmed to the hilt! So kind. I still have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I have one sister I don't like and I get her a candle every year. Not a good one either this year it was from the 2 euro shop and it wasnt even 2 euro it was 1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I eventually expressed that it felt a little bit desperate and impersonal to get this stream of candles, - as if nobody knew who I was!
    -- and the very next Christmas, my present was a tiny picture frame with a teeny photo of me in it, cut from a group photo.
    I was charmed to the hilt! So kind. I still have it.

Ever been stuck for a tiny picture of yourself during a power cut?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

This is exactly why the adults in my family and in laws don’t do presents. So many people buy something for the sake of it, and it’s not needed nor appreciated by the recipient. We just say don’t waste your money buying me something I don’t want or need and I’ll do the same. We give s house pack instead biccies choccies wine whiskey and gift cards for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I have one sister I don't like and I get her a candle every year. Not a good one either this year it was from the 2 euro shop and it wasnt even 2 euro it was 1.50

Fair enough. It’s the thought that counts ( wink emoji).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You think nothing can top candles but this is a good one. A cousin of mine received a framed Padre Pio picture for Christmas last year from her boyfriend.

Top marks. That’s even better than giving her nothing. You made an effort to show how thoughtless the gift was. Classic.

You think nothing can top candles but this is a good one. A cousin of mine received a framed Padre Pio picture for Christmas last year from her boyfriend.

Epic.

Genuinely laughed out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Love candles but cannot afford them; please send them here! I mean that. I have the stub end of one left.

All of this is part of the reason we ( family and friends) do not give cards and gifts but send cash to a charity instead.. and give our time to each other at these times, in whatever way we can.

OP give your candles to a charity shop ? They will sell well; or pm me for my address!

Cannot believe folk quibble like this.

and ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I ended up getting a candle and a Frozen mug in a "Secret Santa" stealing game. Nobody wanted to steal them from me, and I already have millions of candles and mugs, so I regifted them. The neighbours' 4 year old granddaughter got the mug, and a friend I managed to meet up with in a train station for ten minutes on our ways home got the fancy candle. Job done. Neither of them were expecting a present from me, and I managed to offload the things I didn't want. (I was completely honest about where the candle came from, and it was an unplanned gift. My friend gave me a fancy designer jar of coffee because that's what you feed programmers.)

There's no use in complaining about these things unless there is a massive imbalance in the types of gifts exchanged, so what does your wife give these friends in return, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Loughc wrote: »
    I love candles. Since we got a dog we live for smelly candles to neutralise the smell of dog in the house. They’re so cosy and certain Yankee candle smells remind me of Christmas.

You need to get yourself a White Company Winter Signature Candle.

I , as we planned, did not get any gifts... oh the island community association gifted all us old ones a tub of Roses... One of my cats got a wonderful Secret Santa gift! Very appreciated by all six cats...

There are no words for folk complaining about what they are given. Or for using words to refer to gifts such as is done here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Personally, I love candles. But it depends on the scent. I've a gorgeous soy-based frankincense one that smells heavenly.

Some of these, however...

funny-christmas-comics-25-5846d449070b8__700.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Currently have a candle my sister got me as a present lighting. Smells Devine. Great gift :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Candles aren't the worse to receive, but to gift a daycent one...too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The problem with candles is that scent is subjective. One person's 'spring meadow', is another's 'wet dog'.

My wife absolutely detests the "Christmas" scents, so you can imagine how she feels when she sees a red Yankee candle box...

You have to really know someone before buying them a scented candle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

r3nu4l wrote: »
    The problem with candles is that scent is subjective. One person's 'spring meadow', is another's 'wet dog'.

My wife absolutely detests the "Christmas" scents, so you can imagine how she feels when she sees a red Yankee candle box...

You have to really know someone before buying them a scented candle!

Yeah but everyone loves the fresh cotton one.

Fair point on last two posts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

So, to paraphrase...

"Candles?!? BURN THEM WITH FIRE!!!"

........I'll get my coat.............

Advertisement